Christmas Eve football

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Christmas Eve football

Postby Wembley1966 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Nesticles wrote:All clubs should pull together and oppose these fixtures

That would be a good idea - perhaps there's some organisation they could belong to where they could pull together and oppose whoever allowed this to potentially happen!

The Premier League is the organising body of the Premier League with responsibility for the competition, its Rule Book and the centralised broadcast and other commercial rights.

Each of the 20 clubs are a Shareholder in the Premier League. Consultation is at the heart of the Premier League and Shareholder meetings are the ultimate decision-making forum for Premier League policy and are held at regular intervals during the course of the season.
Wembley1966

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Corney Beal wrote:

Yes, majority of home games and a half to three quarters of aways. Just short of a 400 mile round trip for home games.
Part timer :wink:
Corney Beal wrote:I haven't said I agree with Christmas Eve games anywhere. Simply saying it is not as bad or impossible for Newcastle fans as some implying,

We'll have to agree to disagree then .

I wouldn't be happy with a drive to Newcastle and back on Christmas eve - I'd do it , but not happily .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Corney Beal on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Disagree about what? We both don't want it. I repeat, whilst not ideal timings it wouldn't make it much too much of an issue to prevent travel. Local transport finishing early and probably only one train down choice the main obstacles.
I don't agree with the principle of playing that day and it could prove tricky for me too but not impossible at all
Corney Beal

Postby Row X on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:34 pm

I would hazard a guess that most, if not all trains are already fully booked up to travel north on Xmas Eve.

I would be fuming if we were made to play away at Newcastle on Xmas Eve. It's one of my favourite away games, and I enjoy having a night out up there afterwards. That really is taking the piss out of the Geordies to expect them to make this trip.

As others have said, if Sky wants Xmas Eve football they should really consider the fans who put the miles in, after all it's those fans that make 'the product' they wish to show.

All we ask for is a bit of common sense, but that gets thrown out of the window for a quick buck.
Row X

Postby warp on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Row X wrote:That really is taking the piss out of the Geordies to expect them to make this trip.

doubt very much they expect fans to go - nor do they care.

Row X wrote:As others have said, if Sky wants Xmas Eve football they should really consider the fans who put the miles in, after all it's those fans that make 'the product' they wish to show.

except that it's not us fans making 'the product'. you think the average armchair fan cares if the attendance is true fans, day trippers or semi-animated cardboard shapes?
and half those fans are quite happy to pay sky for the games they can't attend and for about 20 other games a week.

Row X wrote:All we ask for is a bit of common sense, but that gets thrown out of the window for a quick buck.

they are using common sense: they're making everything they can think of to make more money.
you can't expect a business to think about the buyers first!
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby sutts07 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Wouldn't be at all surprised if WHU had instigated some of this with an attitude of, 'well it is going to be someone playing on that day, so it may as well be us', thus solving any 'last full shopping day' before Christmas issues at Westfield.

I'd imagine a fair few Newcastle fans will sack it off in favour of a Brown Ale in their local but there will still be plenty of them willing to travel as they are like us in respect of blind faith. There will also be a fair few of them based down in the South who may now be able to get a ticket but wouldn't ordinarily due to priority points etc.

Basically, the tickets will sell to people who can go. That might be tourists and Johnny come lately types, but the ticket will sell. Sad but true.

Our owners don't care if a few season ticket holders decide to sack it off. They know that plenty will still go and they already have the money from those who won't. Again, sad but true.

Sky and the Met won't exactly be disappointed if a load of Newcastle fans decide not to travel either. They will all be watching on Sky and won't need to be policed.
sutts07

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 pm

I think you'll be surprised - empty stadiums does not make good viewing. The fans who go are still very much needed to make the product it needs to be.

I would most likely sack it off, but then again it's becoming a lot easier physiologically to not bother going and sticking my seat on ticket trader.
RichieRiv

Postby Bubbles Murray on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Five possible trains back to Newcastle on Christmas Eve if match finishes at 15:30. The 1700, 1730, 1800, 1830 and the 1900. Not at all ideal, and I daresay the fares won't be cheap by now.
Bubbles Murray

Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )

Postby MD_HM on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Not just about trains or driving though.

There is an issue of disregard for those that travel but also the fact that even though it might be possible to get home it's taking an important family day away for some or a game they have paid for that they choose not to attend away.

Any Newcastle fan with young children is not going to want to miss Xmas Eve to come down to London.

As already suggested, if they really wanted to add Xmas Eve to the calendar then London fixtures would have made it a lot easy to take.
MD_HM

Postby Rocket on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 pm

the pink palermo wrote:I wouldn't be happy with a drive to Newcastle and back on Christmas eve - I'd do it , but not happily .

I wouldn't. I have never boycotted a game before, but I will if we play on Christmas Eve, home or away. I know it won't make much of a difference as the club already have my money, but my seat will be empty and I will not even watch it on TV.
Rocket

Postby Whufc06 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 am

Pinky - This isn't necessarily a dig at you but the quote "I'd do it - but not happily" is the exact reason fans continue to get the piss taken out of them on a number of issues. Ticket prices, rescheduling of matches, treatment at games etc. Moaning rarely works, people need to start voting with their feet.
Whufc06

Postby Alfiehammer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:44 am

I don't have any serious objections to a Christmas Eve besides worrying about Westfield business and rail services...but I don't have a young family or anything, which would seriously effect how I view the idea tbh
Alfiehammer

Postby Ben on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 am

my thoughts are, I probably won't go to it.
I would quite enjoy sitting on my couch watching it though with all the xmas food around and knowing I am off work for a few days.

I also think if sky expect fans to travel then like Newcastle would have to then put on a free train for them to make sure they have a nice easy and quick (as is possible) trip home.
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Whufc06 wrote:Pinky - This isn't necessarily a dig at you but the quote "I'd do it - but not happily" is the exact reason fans continue to get the piss taken out of them on a number of issues. Ticket prices, rescheduling of matches, treatment at games etc. Moaning rarely works, people need to start voting with their feet.

Sadly it will have no affect whatsoever .

I actively posted on this website constantly that I wouldn't go to Stratford to send the clubs owners the message that I'd vote with my feet in the hope enough others would join in and halt the thing in it's tracks .

It had precisely no impact .The club went ahead and very very few others joined in with any kind of objection to the move .

The same applies to all the boycotts discussed on here and elsewhere ,the plain fact is the club doesn't care whether you've attended 1 match or 1500 , if you don't go they'll sell the seat ( or in our case give it away) to someone else .

The only chance we'll have as supporters to raise any kind of protest is should we slip in to division 2 again .That's when the hardcore who have carried the club through the lean times are most needed .

I reckon we'd see fewer than 20,000 regulars in that division .

Actually if the football league were smart they would brand themselves as the 3pm on a Saturday league .Send the fixture list out in June , organise sensible derby matches around the key holiday periods, and they may just see more people walk through their turnstiles .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 pm

the pink palermo wrote:The only chance we'll have as supporters to raise any kind of protest is should we slip in to division 2 again .That's when the hardcore who have carried the club through the lean times are most needed.

Karren's purge may have seen to that. 5k gone last season + however many walked the year before.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Captain Slaphead on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Captain Slaphead

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:50 pm

That links says the next bunch of live fixtures are announced on the 19th October? Yet I read on here the 12th.
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Wembley1966 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:53 pm

^^^ They've put it back a week for announcing the December fixtures and will probably put announcing the televised fixtures for 23rd December weekend back even further until after the EFL Cup quarter final fixtures are known as they impact who they can choose for the Friday match.

Big George wrote:Other game that would work is Stoke v WBA but Sky aren't going to blow a slot on that

That would be an ideal match for them to show if they suspect that the viewing figures are going to be down. They have to show each club a minimum number of times in each slot and that's an ideal one to fulfill the quota.
Wembley1966

Postby steps on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:23 pm

If we are chosen to play on Christmas Eve how will it affect our Boxing Day fixture at Bournemouth?

Surely it'd have to be moved.

Fixture congestion around the Xmas period is hectic anyway but two games in three days is ridiculous.

Tbh I wouldn't mind if the Newcastle game does get moved. Only reason is I've had the green light from Mrs Steps and would be back at home for around 6ish in a merry state. If we play on the Saturday I can see my mates going for a balls out heavy session and I don't fancy spending my Xmas Eve on the sofa with a sore head.

Selfish reasons I know.
steps

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion