Christmas Eve football

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Christmas Eve football

Postby steps on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:29 pm

MD_HM wrote:if they really wanted to add Xmas Eve to the calendar then London fixtures would have made it a lot easy to take.

Do they though or is it the way Xmas has fell this year?
steps

Postby MD_HM on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Maybe it wasn't "planned" but at the start of planning the fixtures it should have been obvious the way the dates fall this year.

Isn't it a computer that's sorts the fixtures with a load of caveats added in... a simple one would have been local fixtures for this weekend of games.

As another poster points out Stoke vs West Brom makes more sense but coincidence oppose to forward planning.

I don't agree with fixtures on this day anyway but It's not fair on Liverpool and Newcastle fans even if the games are not at 4pm.

It's not a couple of hours out the house or away from the kids, it's a day not to mention lots travel to family on Xmas.

As usual it's the late announcement, could have dealt with this at the start of the season by putting fans first
MD_HM

Postby Big George on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:06 pm

I've just come back from the FSF/Premier League meeting with Scudamore that the Guardian is reporting wearing my WHUISA hat.

There's lots of other things talked about but regarding Christmas Eve:

There will be no 1600 fixture on Christmas Eve
There will be at least one game that day, probably at 1330 ( I think that means there will be one Christmas Eve fixture but don't hold me to that)
There will be four games across the weekend from Friday Night to Sunday afternoon
They are “nowhere near” resolving all the issues surrounding December games so the announcement date of 12th October has now been pushed back to the 19th.
The announcement on the 19th will NOT include which games will be televised from 23rd Dec fixtures
The Premier League will honour its commitment to announce TV fixtures six weeks ahead of time.
I suspect they will wait until the outcome of League Cup matches in the last week of October before announcing fixtures.
Premier league signed off on this so “blame us rather than Sky/BT”.
Scudamore said he didn’t think there would be such a fuss about games on Christmas Eve. The FSF efforts have clearly had an effect.
Big George

Postby Big George on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:15 pm

MD_HM wrote:Maybe it wasn't "planned" but at the start of planning the fixtures it should have been obvious the way the dates fall this year.

Isn't it a computer that's sorts the fixtures with a load of caveats added in... a simple one would have been local fixtures for this weekend of games.

As another poster points out Stoke vs West Brom makes more sense but coincidence oppose to forward planning.

I don't agree with fixtures on this day anyway but It's not fair on Liverpool and Newcastle fans even if the games are not at 4pm.

It's not a couple of hours out the house or away from the kids, it's a day not to mention lots travel to family on Xmas.

As usual it's the late announcement, could have dealt with this at the start of the season by putting fans first

Scudamore said today it was his fault, he didn't anticipate such a reaction but its clear he has taken some of it on board by binning off the 1600.

The PL is tighter than ever mainly because UEFA have taken an extra four midweeks for CL slots and this year is especially bad because of the world cup.

The fixtures are planned by computer but certain date are supposed to be (relatively) local friendly. Boxing Day, NY day, Easter Monday and something other dates. Scudamore said that 23rd Dec was set down as a normal Saturday with the expectation that a full TV schedule would be broadcast including the 1600.

They've realised their mistake and will factor that into the next TV deal.
Big George

Postby e1hammer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Well done to everyone involoved (a well done Tom Watson for getting involved.)
e1hammer

Postby Albie Beck on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Big George wrote:Scudamore said that 23rd Dec was set down as a normal Saturday with the expectation that a full TV schedule would be broadcast including the 1600. They've realised their mistake and will factor that into the next TV deal.

...they really do seem to be on another planet, don't they?
Albie Beck

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Totally the right decision in the end.

Purely from a very selfish perspective, I was looking forward to it, but living only 1 1/2 hours away, it's easy for me to say! Will do what we had planned on the Saturday now, so all good. I presume it is still Saturday?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Big George on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:16 pm

e1hammer wrote:Well done to everyone involoved (a well done Tom Watson for getting involved.)

Indeed, it certainly helped.
Big George

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:I presume it is still Saturday?

We could still be televised on the Sunday I guess. Not sure how it would work and how they would still incorporate 2 live games before 4pm. Maybe ours at 12 and the Arsenal Liverpool game at 2.15?

I'd rather it be the Saturday though.
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Captain Slaphead on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Big George wrote:I've just come back from the FSF/Premier League meeting with Scudamore that the Guardian is reporting wearing my WHUISA hat.

There's lots of other things talked about but regarding Christmas Eve:

There will be no 1600 fixture on Christmas Eve
There will be at least one game that day, probably at 1330 ( I think that means there will be one Christmas Eve fixture but don't hold me to that)
There will be four games across the weekend from Friday Night to Sunday afternoon
They are “nowhere near” resolving all the issues surrounding December games so the announcement date of 12th October has now been pushed back to the 19th.
The announcement on the 19th will NOT include which games will be televised from 23rd Dec fixtures
The Premier League will honour its commitment to announce TV fixtures six weeks ahead of time.
I suspect they will wait until the outcome of League Cup matches in the last week of October before announcing fixtures.
Premier league signed off on this so “blame us rather than Sky/BT”.
Scudamore said he didn’t think there would be such a fuss about games on Christmas Eve. The FSF efforts have clearly had an effect.

I echo the comments of others -- well done Big George, WHUISA, FSF etc in getting some common-sense applied.
However what is the point in Sky (& presumably BT?) committing to announcing Dec fixtures on a particular date in early-October, but then being permitted to say "Oh well, it's a bit complicated" & revert to the old six-week standard ??
Captain Slaphead

Postby Big George on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Captain Slaphead wrote:
I echo the comments of others -- well done Big George, WHUISA, FSF etc in getting some common-sense applied.
However what is the point in Sky (& presumably BT?) committing to announcing Dec fixtures on a particular date in early-October, but then being permitted to say "Oh well, it's a bit complicated" & revert to the old six-week standard ??

I think they were caught with their pants down by the ferocity of the reaction. It doesn't seem they even considered that Christmas Eve was an issue.

For some its always been a normal business day, Scudamore said in the meeting we are an entertainment industry that works weekend & bank holidays as standard, he just thought of Dec 24th as another Sunday.

Now they are aware of complications they are looking again. They have listened an are trying to sort it
Big George

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Big George wrote:Scudamore said in the meeting we are an entertainment industry that works weekend & bank holidays as standard, he just thought of Dec 24th as another Sunday.

I don't believe a word of it. It's the 39th game nonsense again. They're pushing their luck.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Thekorean on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Only confirms what American sports fans have known for years.

People who attend games means jack **** to the broadcast rights holder.
Thekorean

Postby Captain Slaphead on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Big George wrote:I think they were caught with their pants down by the ferocity of the reaction. It doesn't seem they even considered that Christmas Eve was an issue.

Big George

Understood, & as in my earlier post "Well Done" to all involved in bringing the pressure to bear on PL / Sky.

However -- and I am sure that I am not in a unique position -- Mrs CS had marked 12th October on her calendar as the day that she would know for certain what our football 'commitments' were for the festive period.
It is safe to say that Mr Scudamore has been removed from her Christmas Card list :evil:
Captain Slaphead

Postby Big George on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Captain Slaphead wrote:
However -- and I am sure that I am not in a unique position -- Mrs CS had marked 12th October on her calendar as the day that she would know for certain what our football 'commitments' were for the festive period.
It is safe to say that Mr Scudamore has been removed from her Christmas Card list :evil:

For god sake man, pull yourself together, you can't let football ruin your Christmas

(Exactly the same in our house)
Big George

Postby Captain Slaphead on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Big George wrote::

For god sake man, pull yourself together, you can't let football ruin your Christmas

(Exactly the same in our house)[/quote]

Suspect that we have all got our own 'agendas'…...

Personally -- & entirely selfishly -- I couldn't care less whether Newcastle is Fri 22nd, Sat 23rd or Sun 24th. However if it's the latter then that will completely bollox my Boxing Day plans for a trip to Bournemouth.

Which might be bolloxed next week anyway if Sky announce that Bournemouth v WH is to be televised on 27th or 28th.

Worse-case scenario is that it gets moved with six weeks notice. In the clutching at straws department, at least it now seems that the chances of WH - Newcastle being on 24th are now 1 in 10 (rather than the 2 in 10 before the FSF intervention)
Captain Slaphead

Postby Wembley1966 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:We could still be televised on the Sunday I guess. Not sure how it would work and how they would still incorporate 2 live games before 4pm. Maybe ours at 12 and the Arsenal Liverpool game at 2.15?

They've said that there will be 4 live games from the Friday to Sunday. They'll do Friday, Saturday lunchtime and evening and one on Sunday probably at 2:00pm but it could be at midday.

Captain Slaphead wrote: In the clutching at straws department, at least it now seems that the chances of WH - Newcastle being on 24th are now 1 in 10 (rather than the 2 in 10 before the FSF intervention)

I reckon there's about a 1 in 2 chance of us being on Sunday!

I reckon the matches they'll pick that weekend would be Arsenal v Liverpool, Everton v Chelsea, Leicester v Man Utd and us! Stoke vs West Brom is an unlikely pick as Sky have already shown the reverse fixture earlier this season.

Leicester won't be on Sunday as Leicester Tigers have a big match at home to Saracens at 3:00pm and that's a conflict normally avoided with their scheduling. Everton v Chelsea would probably be the BT pick for Saturday evening. Depending upon EFL Cup quarter final matches depends upon who would be able to play on the Friday night. All things being equal it is unlikely to be us - there's limit of 3 times that a club can be shown in the combined Friday night / Monday night package and we've already been on twice - Sky would be reluctant to use up a club's quota halfway through the season as it impacts on their scheduling flexibility later in the season.
Wembley1966

Postby carnage on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Thekorean wrote:Only confirms what American sports fans have known for years.

People who attend games means jack **** to the broadcast rights holder.

Of course they don't. But why people still bleat on about it 20 years later is beyond me.
carnage

Postby Big George on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Scudamore did seem to say that there would be a Friday night game
Big George

Postby Belchio on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:36 pm

So Westham V Newscastle is back to the 23rd or do we have to wait until Oct 19th to find out?
Belchio

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion