Do you watch football.....

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Do you watch football.....

Postby Spammy The Vee on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:45 pm

I live in NYC (in Washington DC right now) and watch quite a bit, although the Premiership is no longer covered like it was. I'll watch the best match I can find when I have time and other than League Cup I rarely miss more than 1 or 2 Hammers games a season. Having said that other than the odd few minutes of news old flicks and NFL (if the game is competitive) , I hardly watch anything else at all.
Spammy The Vee

Postby Iron-worx on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:36 pm

I haven't watched anything other than West Ham for years, not even world cup finals.
Iron-worx

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:13 pm

I'll be watching Wales vs the Republic of Ireland on Monday that's for sure .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Rio on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Yes

But not as much gusto or passion as I used to. We’re swamped with so much football nowadays live games are rarely special.

A lot of the time it’s a background to what I’m doing.

Right now I’ve got Barnet v Coventry on. Yesterday morning I watched, quite keenly as it turned out Central Coast Mariners v Newcastle Jets.

I love football as do 2 of my boys, so I try to get as much value out of my Skysports & BT subscriptions as possible. Weekends when there’s no West Ham & the wife’s at work is bliss. Peace, quiet, a game on the TV.

England games bore me. International tournaments excepted.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Beavis Danzig on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:50 pm

depends on how well west ham are doing. if we're flying i drink up any possible opportunity for a decent helping of schadenfreude.
Beavis Danzig

Postby RayleighHammer23 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:52 pm

I watch a Bundesliga game every week and a Premier League game. Now that I sacked off my season ticket I only watch us if we're on TV. Maybe a European game depending who's playing.

I watch MotD and the Championship highlights show on Channel 5 too. All in all I probably watch more UFC monthly than I do Football now.
RayleighHammer23

Postby Adam 'The Smudge' on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Not really. I'm bored with modern football. I don't have SKY or BT and my only fix is MOTD on a sunday morning.
West Ham is different.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Postby Puff Daddy on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Wales v Rep of Ireland tonight will be like a Premier League match.

*CORRECTION* Like watching a Championship match
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby simon1982 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 pm

I don't watch much football on tv. Mainly because it's crap! Every prem team used to have 2 or 3 players that were good to watch. I don't think that's been the case for a long time. The prem is becoming more and more like la liga as the seasons pass. I get man city are good to watch but where is the enjoyment seeing them roll teams over by 4 or 5. However I've watched the last 15 minutes of the wales match and both teams can barely string a pass together.
I do still go to all the home games and 5/6 aways.
How can you affiliate yourself to players when 100k a week isn't good enough, look at ozil, he wants £300k per week and he has been an embarrassment.
simon1982

Postby Slacking student on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:Wales v Rep of Ireland tonight will be like a Premier League match.

*CORRECTION* Like watching a Championship match

League 1 at best. **** I want Ireland to win, can't stand Wales when it comes to sports
Slacking student

Postby uptonparkhurst on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:20 pm

Watching pro football less and less - if West Ham aren't involved I can't usually be a****.

Watched 5 minutes of a kids' game while walking through the park on Sunday (girls aged about 9 or 10, I'd guess). No dirty tackles with studs showing, no arguing with/conning the ref. Kids competing, but enjoying themselves at the same time - playing the game for the love of it. What a contrast!
uptonparkhurst

Location: On the ground floor, thinking that the "next level" could be the basement

Postby Pentonville on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:55 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:Watching pro football less and less - if West Ham aren't involved I can't usually be a****.

Kids competing, but enjoying themselves at the same time - playing the game for the love of it. What a contrast!

A very good point. Watching my son play for his teaming U-14 games is nearly always excited, 30 mins each way sen to go in no time at all. Very refreshing alternative to professional football. Apart from watching WHU on MOTD, and World cups, don't watch football on telly, No satellite or BT subscriptions for me. Life is too short for that.
Pentonville

Location: Relaxing with Slav in a hideway cabin somewhere in north london

Postby sendô on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:59 am

England matches? In the tournaments, but otherwise rarely. I tried watching the qualifiers this weekend, but honestly fell asleep.
MOTD? Most Saturdays I will watch MOTD, plus Goals on Sunday if I can. I like seeing goals and highlights.
Other live PL matches? If I'm in and it's on and I'm afforded control of the TV.
CL/EL? Rarely. Maybe the odd game if it's a big one or if it happens to be on.
Fizz and foreign games? Hardly ever. I have no interest in La Liga at all and honestly don't get the obsession.
sendô

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:36 pm

3Dicks wrote:I only watch west ham. no interest in anything or anyone else. if I'm at home during world cup or Euros i might watch England but I dont go out of my way.

It's why i don't subscribe to Sky or BT sport channels. I'd be quite happy to pay a subscription fee either to the club or whoever for some kind of online season ticket to stream all the games live.

as for MoTD, I fast forward to the west ham game then just watch the goals round up on MOTD2

Pretty much what I was going to say. Sad really, as I used to give a monkey's about England and watch all their (can't bring myself to say 'Our' anymore) games....
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby Denzil on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:20 pm

when I'm not watching TV with the mrs the only channel I watch is Sky Sports / BT Sports and the only sport I watch is Football or Golf majors, so I watch a fair amount.

Just because they're not great teams doesnt mean it will not be a great game. Have watched some great lower league games in the past. People seem put off by the fact they're not big names and whilst a lot of people slag sky for their big team bias, they do give lower league football a half decent amount of exposure. German and French leagues are much better than the Spanish league too, imo.
Denzil

Postby WHJ on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Season ticket holder so most of the home league and cup games. A few of the away games if I can get a ticket or if its a ground I haven't been to before. West Ham games on the TV. Go to most England games, home and away but TBH the football's incidental. Its an excuse to catch up with mates and a bit of a beano away. West Ham games on TV. That's just about it. I'll watch a bit of other football if it comes on, but just not too bothered anymore,
WHJ

Location: BMU - Soaking up the Boleyn atmosphere before we lose it forever>

Postby Morocco Mole on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:00 am

Footballs got too good now. Real Madrid v Barcelona leaves me cold. It's like watching a video game. I can't relate to it. It's best when it's 89 minutes of mediocrity punctuated by a milisecond of Payet/Tevez/Di Canio magic. That's why I support West Ham. :crest:
Morocco Mole

Postby Lil Joe 17 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:37 am

I now live in New Zealand and watch almost every game live (at obscene hours) with the exception of maybe 4/5 games since we have been promoted again.

I watch & follow both England & New Zealand at tournament level, however dont bother with England friendlies (but do watch NZ friendlies as they are rarer and usually at a decent time over here)

Other Premier League games I tend to watch 2/3 throughout the week and pick the games dependant on the scoreline/what sounded more interesting.
Lil Joe 17

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:32 am

bubbles1966 wrote:...apart from West Ham?

I religiously watch us....but everyone and everything else?

England matches? Hardly ever, mainly because of the managers and players selected.
MOTD? Great Sunday morning viewing, Although I think Lineker is a ****.
Other live PL matches? 75% of the matches. If im paying for Sky, I may aswell watch it.
CL/EL? Dont have BT sport, so no.
Fizz and foreign games? If its a juicy derby game or a match with some needle, then yes.
westham,eggyandchips

Previous

Return to General Discussion