Do you watch football.....

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Do you watch football.....

Postby mushy on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:52 am

irving boleyn wrote:Same as you Bubbles !

I used to watch Manure when they had a team of some of my heroes..Rooney,Neville,Rio..not any more. I will watch Sp#rs now to try to find flaws in Kane and Alli !

Gary Neville is one of your heroes?
mushy

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:55 am

I do watch, but no where near as much as I did.

I used to enjoy watching football from all different leagues around the world on TV, just can't be bothered anymore, I have Sky sports and BT sports but rarely watch anything on there unless West Ham are on, I should pack it all in, considering how much it costs, I'll get round to it one day.

I do enjoy a Friday Night Championship game, that league still has something about it, I don't enjoy the Premier League at all, it's why I wouldn't be sad to see West Ham drop down a division if it were to ever happen, the Championship is a great league.

As for MOTD, I can't stand it, the whole Lineker, Shearer smug love in, is very annoying, I did catch it on sunday morning however, just in time to hear Lineker utter the line to Peter Crouch "there's life in the old giraffe yet!" What a smug unimaginative **** he is!
Last edited by somerset-hammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
somerset-hammer

Postby Porkeyes on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 am

I watch West Ham down the pub if not there and follow the Championship. Everything else can jog on.

I like the Championship you do see some good stuff without all the puffing it up and the referees seem to keep the game flowing a tad more after bit of contact. The only problem is the TV round up program, it's all a bit "yay it's the footy guys" and why do they tell you who scored/wins just before showing you the ****ing highlights? Too many birds yapping through it too, I tend to switch off it's like the missus reminding me to put th bins out/ go up in the loft etc etc.
Last edited by Porkeyes on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Porkeyes

Postby iLoveLasagne on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:58 am

Growing up I used to watch almost any sort of football from 1992-1993 onwards. At home I would watch whatever top flight game was on. Wimbledon, Coventry, Norwich, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds...you name it. I would also catch the occasional Serie A match to watch the star players on channel 4. I would probably watch any games airing relating to Champions League and UEFA Cup. At night when I should have been sleeping I would watch Futbol Mundial and learn about the rising stars of the J League or the next Maradonna emerging from River Plate or something. This season I have only managed to watch 35 minutes of our match v Spurs before the stream froze and I had to go out and no other West Ham football at all. But it means I that have watched 3 MOTD which I usually don't bother with. But I still log onto KUMB almost every day.
iLoveLasagne

Postby Centre Half on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:01 am

The fact is there is way too much football on the box.

You can watch a different game from somewhere in Europe every night of the week if you wanted.

When it's force fed to you like that no wonder people end up being sick of it
Centre Half

Postby Smudger1 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:14 am

West Ham, yes absolutley, premier league or championship if we're about and have nothing better to do; England, championships if I'm about and again if nothing better to do and as it's during the summer there is usually some cricket on, qualifiers and friendlies only if the wife wants to watch, tbh she is probably more of a football fan than I'am even if she does talk ***** about it :)
Smudger1

Postby szola on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:14 am

I might watch some other PL games, if its convenient. Same with good games in the Bundesliga, Serie A or La Liga. Rarely watch 90 min, though.

Try to watch Athletic Club & Juventus matches, if its not a hassle, and good derbies - El Classico, Euskal Derbia, Derby della Madonnia, Derby D'Italia.

Love the tournaments, both Euro and WC.
szola

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 am

I watch West Ham (Home) and Plymouth (games close to London) in the flesh

I will watch all other West Ham games that are on TV, and occasionally will find a dodgy stream for an away game if not on the box

I have Sky, but rarely sit down with the objective of watching other live games from start to finish, but on a Saturday lunchtime/ Sunday afternoon i might have the game on in the background, especially if a 'big' game

I still love MOTD but, in general will only watch it if we have won, or got a decent draw. I won't bother if we lose. In fact, I rarely watch highlight packages of games we have lost.

I never watch the Sky Multi-choice thing they have saturday evening

I don't have BT Sport so rarely watch Champions League

When the World Cup or Euros come round, I try and watch as many games as possible live simply because it is like being a kid again. However, next world cup will be my first major tournament with a child so i expect my prolific viewing will be hampered
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Aceface on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:32 am

A few years back I had a subscription to a legal-in-a-particular-country streaming site and for 2 seasons watched almost every PL game that didn't overlap - it's probably not very healthy. I don't see a great deal of anything other than us now since it's so difficult.

Outside of the PL I watch a bit of Ligue 1.

CL I've barely seen a minute of since it was locked away.

The general theme is that I'll watch as much as I have access to, but if it's locked away I don't tend to pine for it. Facebook getting the rights and offering it free-to-air would be devastating for my social life/hygiene.
Aceface

Postby e17 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:42 am

Good thread :)

I only remembered last night that England were playing while scrolling thru the EPG on Virgin at half nine...

It makes me sad to be honest. From around 1984 when I first remember watching until about 2000something, missing an England game was unthinkable in our house, even friendlies were an exciting opportunity to get to see players given a go, qualifiers and major tournaments were as important as watching our lot.

Now I'm the same as you Bubbles, I still watch the big events with a passion, but am cold to the 1-0 grinds to Slovenia or Serbia. I can't stand MOTD because of how smug and formulaic it is, and generally get my info and highlights from BBC Sport's website or Sky Sports News.
e17

Postby Danny's Dyer Acting on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:44 am

England matches? Tournament finals.
MOTD? If we've had a big win/it's been a day with a ridiculous set of scores
Other live PL matches? There's a couple of the big teams I think play decent football, I'll watch them if I'm home.
CL/EL? The show BT Sport do during the group stages is the best non West Ham football on TV. Soccer Saturday but with live highlights? Yes please! Will watch the odd knockout game and final.
Fizz and foreign games? Not unless I happen to be stuck on the couch hungover.

If it's not West Ham it doesn't really hold my attention anymore, even if it's MOTD style highlights. Conversely I've been over the moon that the last two Sundays have been quiet so I've been able to watch about 10 hours of back to back NFL.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am

I cancelled Sky Sports when we got relegated and it took me a few seasons back before I would consider paying for it once more [ after a conversation I had with Bristol - a very kind gentleman ] . I also subscribe to BT Sports .

However - I hardly ever watch a football match any more unless we're on , and even then I don't cope very well and sometimes have to wait until the game is over before I watch it .

I tried watching Newcastle v Liverpool the other Sunday as my family were out , I watched less than 5 minutes .
It could be saturation , it could be ' Premier League Syndrome ' , I'm not sure which .

Match Of The Day has lost something [ but I do watch it on occasion ] and I watch and record our game on Sky's ' Match Choice ' .

Watched 2 minutes of England v Slovenia , 2 minutes of Scotland v Slovakia - i'll watch WC Finals matches , don't watch any Champions League or La Liga .

Other than West Ham United my interest in football has diminished .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Ladzini on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:52 am

WHU home games and some away in person. Will watch any prem football if it's on the box and I'm pottering around at home.

Similar with Champions League, I'll watch any decent ties that are on if I'm in the house.

I follow Lazio in Serie A so watch the games I can through BT Sport.
Ladzini

Postby Rays Rock on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:53 am

Us - Yes
Everything else - No (apart from major international Champs)

Ryder cup, Ashes things like this are much more enjoyable and feel more like real sporting occasions.

I won't fund the Premier league gravy train other than West Ham. I would be willing to fund lower leagues if the moment arose.
Rays Rock

Postby Blow Bubbles on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:18 pm

This thread got me thinking and I realised that I don’t watch as much as I used to...

A few years ago it was whatever English or Champions League or Europa Cup was on every night of the week on Sky or BT, religiously.

Nowadays I watch the odd game (still the above categories) in the week if I think it will be juicy but often turn over before the end. The exception to this rule is a ‘Super Sunday’ at the pub, but that’s more about the social than the football!

Still have my Sky and BT subscriptions mind and I still record MOTD, but mainly to see our highlights and verify if the ref was as much as a ****er as I thought he was from my seat at OS. I still use Sky and BT for the latter stages of major tournaments - the European cups and World Cup and Euros.

RE us, I’m there every home game but rarely get to away days due to work so I will always sit down to watch and swear a lot when we are away and on the box.

As a Medway boy I keep an eye out for Gillingham and ironically they are on the telly this weekend... But I’m actually going along with a few pals to watch and I get along to Priestfields a couple of times a year but they are just as disappointing as we are mostly :lol:

As far as England are concerned, I really couldn’t care less these days, I’m a West Ham fan not an England one. Rarely watch qualifying... But then a tournament starts and I naively start to believe again and end up back at the pub - but again I think it’s for the crowd mentality rather than the sport!
Last edited by Blow Bubbles on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blow Bubbles

Postby westlondonhammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm with RR on this one a little

I'll watch West Ham unless I really can't. Beyond that I'd much prefer to watch an England cricket game than turn on a Premier League game.

Don't bother with European games any more and I've even lost interest in England matches (will watch major tournaments though).

I guess it's changed since I got married - a little bit of give and take and I'd rather take a West Ham game and give up all the other **** to keep her happy. That's just made me less interested in actually watching these games over time.

I work a 9 - 5 and don't have a Pay TV package... more affordable to have fiber internet and stream. So because it's a bit more effort to watch a game and generally the moody stream's quality is poor it often feels like to much like hardwork to watch a game that will probably bore me. The only non-West Ham game that's kept me interested this season was Chelsea vs Burnley for obvious reasons.
westlondonhammer

Postby FrankieMacsPerm on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:21 pm

This is my first season with a season ticket for quite a few years, must admit to enjoying going to the first three (must be because it's new!!), prior to that i'd go to a handful of games a season or watch them on the TV. I will generally always try and find a stream for all the away games, if i'm not out and about.

Other football? .... As few have said there was a time when i'd watch any game any time any where!! Remember back in the late Nineties/early 2000's, Monday night games like Derby v Leicester would be a few pints down the pub, Stevenage v Newcastle the following night, back down the pub. Used to love taking in any game I could. Now?..... meh.

If i'm free on a Saturday/Sunday and have the TV to myself i'll try and hunt out a game, but don't really concentrate fully unless its a really good one. Like having Jeff Stelling on in the background on a Saturday, a few small bets on lower league games makes it more interesting.

MOTD - Yeah I don't mind watching that - will record it so I can forward through the pundits and Lineker's presenting.

England?... I do try and watch them, more out of a sense of duty, but i'm not that bothered, not until its the finals of the World Cup or Euro's.

CL/EL - Don't really bother until the knock out stages - even then it'll be harder to watch now as I don't have T Sport - not too fussed to be honest.

Enjoy watching the Championship, some good games on there (some rubbish too but hey) - will try and watch the end off season play off games and me and some mates will go and see Southend occasionally for a piss up really (went to the recent Gillingham game which was a 3-3 cracker), have also been to Bromley a few times (work there and my company sponsor them in some capacity so we get free tickets) always a good day and the footie is OK.

I think the PL is too saturated, too over hyped - i'm not to fussed about it other than West Ham, think because i'm old school (or just old!) I enjoy the lower league stuff, feels a bit more like the old days!!
FrankieMacsPerm

Postby beni on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Interesting thread.

England matches? Tournament finals only but won't bother to rearrange or get out of work to see it.
MOTD? Hardly ever, a couple of times a season.
Other live PL matches? Some if the mrs is out and I think it might be a good game, 1 or 2 a month maybe
CL/EL? The last European game I watched was the CL final in 2012 as it was the same day we beat Blackpool in the Play off final. Can't remember who was playing, had been out all day and a little worse for wear by the evening!
Fizz and foreign games? Never.

Seems like I don't watch that much other than WHU.
beni

Postby Patito on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:49 pm

:crest: - I get to about half of our games, if I can't get to the match there's normally a good reason for it and I won't be able to watch it on the box either.

England - Tournaments mainly. Beyond that, only if I have absolutely nothing else to do.

MOTD - Sunday morning before playing football.

Other live PL matches - if I'm about, yes.

CL/EL - If I'm about, yes, I've got BT and it's always on.

Fizz & foreign games - if it's on, yes. Mainly Serie A. Occasionally watch the football league show.

Good thread bubbles.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby Wilko1304 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:57 pm

I watch every England game and will always make the effort to watch every game of international tournaments (the big two) - although harder now I teach.

I won't miss West Ham games.

I'll try watch most prem games on TV, but mainly whilst doing other things like marking so I can dip in and out.

I've tired of the champions league to some extent, until knockouts at least.

MOTD is interesting; I choose to watch it when I'm away in Australia as I feel disconnected from home and from football. When I'm here, I don't really watch it as I've been wrapped up in it all day and don't feel desperate to see it, especially as you can catch incidents online anyway.

I love 606 and the Monday Night Club.

I love West Ham, but I love football too. I loved the sport first and it is as dear to me as the club.
Wilko1304

Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion