Do you watch football.....

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Do you watch football.....

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:01 pm

I don't connect with football like I used to, that maybe me getting older but in part I think its whats on offer too.

PL games seem to be either one sided romps for the top clubs or gritty don't give anything away games. So the game needs to have something meaningful attached to retain my interest (i wonder if thats why more and more have a bet on games). I watch us whenever possible and I will watch any game that matters (playoffs, relegation deciders etc) and thats about it these days.

CL no, been ruined until at least March
England, if its a game that really matters but there aren't that many.
WC/EC finals used to watch religiously but the last few I haven't bothered, too many dud games now.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby bristolhammerfc on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Will watch all our games either on stream or on TV. I get to around 3 games a year.

Occasionally listen to other games on the radio if in the car and occasionally match of the day.

England occasionally and will watch the world cup/euros.

Sometimes Non League Manor Farm

My other love is Bristol Rugby and have been to every home game for the last three years and 50% of away games each year.
bristolhammerfc

Postby Pob! on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:10 pm

This is my first season in 44 years not watching us live. Due to a really horrible season at the toilet bowl last year.
So now I go to watch my local team Portsmouth and I'm really enjoying it.
I watch highlights on channel 5 sometimes MOTD and West Ham if they are on live England not so much anymore.
Pob!

Postby il_martello_di_genovesi on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:15 pm

England matches? I watch most International qualifiers and tournaments when on. England matches bore me. Watched 6/7 matches at the start of September. England v Slovakia was the worst one. Finland v Iceland and France v Luxembourg were much more entertaining.

MOTD? Barely ever.

Other live PL matches? Most of the time, but mainly at work. More likely to avoid a Stoke v West Brom for example. I will happily watch a Championship match over some other PL matches though.

CL/EL? Again, most of the time, but mainly at work. Won't make an effort for group games unless it's a decent match up.

Fizz and foreign games? Plenty of lower division football and La Liga. League One and Two games on this weekend and I will watch them for sure. The League One and Two playoffs in May were all fantastic. Used to watch a lot of Norwegian and Danish stuff when I covered it for work.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Postby Balhamite on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:20 pm

I rarely watch football on the TV. Radio 5, however, I have on every night of the week if there is a commentary, listen while I'm cooking/tidying up etc, normally with a small wager on the outcome to add a bit of interest.
Balhamite

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Seems strange to me that people are treating watching live and watching on TV as the same; they are completely different experiences and involve different levels of effort to view. Perhaps it's a generational thing; as a youngster I could only see the FA cup final and some internationals live on TV. If I'm not at West Ham I'll watch Woking if they are at home.
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby Junco Partner on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:24 pm

It's only WHU and NI matches that I rigidly schedule time to watch.

Watch all our aways on TV or streams, and the odd home if I opt out of going. Norn Iron can be trickier, but with both I feel an obligation to at least try, that my 'support' somehow matters, and that if I don't watch then how can I call myself a fan.

Can't remember the last CL game I watched start to finish, not even slightly interested in the groups, and the final doesn't even fire my imagination the way it's marketing would hope.

I like a Sunday afternoon in the pub and will 'watch' whatever 4pm game happens to be on...that's if chatting, drinking, standing with my back to the screen and fiddling with my phone counts as 'watching'.

Cancelled my SKY years back so no more tuning into lower league stuff just because it's on, although occasionally (Monday night for example) they throw an Irish League game on and if it's Glentoran playing then I'm in full-on supporter mode via a stream.

There is way too much football on TV, Not so much the matches but the never-ending gossip, analysis and soap-opera stuff from Sky Sports etc just leaves me cold.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby EastBrisHammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:29 pm

bristolhammerfc wrote:My other love is Bristol Rugby and have been to every home game for the last three years and 50% of away games each year.

I do find rugby fans a bit obnoxious to be honest. Ok in the ground but dickheads outside of it. I am mainly referring to Bath Rugby who are a particularly bad breed of fan.
EastBrisHammer

Postby warp on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:33 pm

if it wasn't for West Ham, i'd forget football existed.

it can sometimes happen that i keep champions and europa league up for background if i'm around the house doing stuff (same with "big" PL games), but not often.

i like the football league playoffs, and the world cup and european championship.
don't watch qualifiers, and i can't remember ever watching a friendly game (West Ham included).
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby EastBrisHammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:34 pm

I mainly watch West Ham and the odd game of another team if down the pub.

I go to a few live West Ham games per season and few Bristol City (because of mates that support them). I love going to live games.

I'm not particularly looking forward to the World Cup and that's a first for me as I love international tournament football. I think the poor showing of England doesn't help. I imagine once the tournament starts I'll be rushing home to watch the games as per usual.
EastBrisHammer

Postby Hockley Hammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:39 pm

West Ham - I am at home games. Gave up away games the first season back in the P/L the last time as just had enough of fixture changes. Will always watch if live on TV at the right time.

England - Went last night and watched the two Scotland games on TV. Only watch an England game if a mate wants to get together - if i'm on my own i don't bother.

Will happily watch as many neutral games at the WC/Euros as I can.

MOTD/MOTD2 very seldom watch MOTD - catch up on the goals on Sky News or MOTD2.

Other P/L games - I like games with an edge - Derbies and the big teams playing each other, although I no longer make special plans to watch it. Rather spend time with my family at the weekend.

C/L E/L I will watch certain teams. I have always loved Juventus and Barcelona since reading books about them when I was younger, so will always watch their matches if I can. Not overly bothered about watching English teams unless it is a good match-up. Hardly ever watch the E/L.

Fizz and Foreign Games - Lost interest in the Championship a bit as there are no teams that I particularly have an affinity to. Might watch Wolves games if on.

Foreign games - As above any Juventus/Barcelona games plus any good looking games.

I have BT & Sky but notice I watch a lot less than five years ago, just not as interested overall.

Funny, I prefer watching football in midweek now, not bothered at weekends apart from West Ham. I never tape games to catch up anymore.
Hockley Hammer

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Have gone through different stages in my life with watching football.

10-16, I would watch any game going. My football knowledge was stupidly good. I always remember sitting in PE once and my teacher giving me ground names and I would tell him which side played there. Used to always have SSN on.

16-26, Like many failed sport starts, women got in the way. Didn't watch anywhere near as much as I used to. Cannot remember the last time I watched MOTD for example.

27 - This season I have started going to a lot of games again. Not the Hammers unfortunately but I would never return with the current board. Instead I am trying to watch a game from every ceremonial county in England in a season. Currently on county 17/48. I should be over half way by the end of this year, and then crack out the remainder in the second half of the season. I am only watching games from League One downwards, but most seem to be around step 9 & 10 of the football pyramid. It is the first time in years I have actually enjoyed watching football.
Happyhammer52

Postby blaze.s8n on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Interesting question... and it's made me think and realise that I don't watch much football at all any more. I used watch a lot more than I do now. I used to watch local games as well as my local rugby team Bridgend RFC. I watch more NFL and Ice Hockey (Cardiff Devils).

Apart from West Ham, I usually go to about 5 - 10 home games and the odd away game, but stopped going because of the move maybe. I think football in general is a bit rubbish these days. However, lower league is a lot of fun.
blaze.s8n

Postby trevshead10may1980 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 pm

I watch the hammers whenever they are in the box here n the US, surprisingly quite often, 4 of our 7 league games this season have been shown live. Cup games are not shown here.Apart from that I only watch England in the tournaments, which is only a few games before we get knocked out. Cant be khybered to watch anything else these days.
trevshead10may1980

Postby wildkard on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:02 pm

I used to watch absolutely ****ing everything. Us, PL, Italian, Spanish, German, French, South American, the lot. Even used to get home from the pub specifically to watch MOTD. This is 17 to 18 years ago mind you. Essentially as soon as I became a ST holder I didn’t bother with anything else. The odd game here and there, if I have nothing else to do. I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch anything other than West Ham.
wildkard

Postby TheHandOfDog on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:25 pm

I watch us on the box, I watch Southend at home maybe 4-5 times a season. I only watch MOTD if I miss our game and apart from that I like watching any Championship/league games + La liga on occasions.
TheHandOfDog

Postby The Gibbins on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:30 pm

I tend to watch the Premiership and The Championship fairly regularly. I love the Champions League but mostly watch highlights as i play football in the week so usually miss it.

I hate La Liga to be honest, it doesn't interest me in the slightest and if i have time i might watch the odd game in Serie A. But i mostly listen to the James Richardson podcast in the week so i get a general idea of whats going in Europe, there is so much football on!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby TheHandOfDog on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Yeah, I used to watch La liga almost as much as I did our leagues but there is only so much rolling around on the floor you can watch so now I just watch the bigger La liga games. My favourite being the Madrid derby. I have actually never watched a full Serie A game.
TheHandOfDog

Postby hammernsickle on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Great thread.

I started catching the odd Prem match here and obviously any West Ham match I could, which was difficult early on. Once NBC started showing matches I was in heaven, watching all West Ham and many other matches. Last season I would regularly record five or six matches a weekend, until my wife made me promise to not watch anything but West Ham when she was around.

This season has been very different. It pains me to say that I haven't enjoyed watching us for at least a year now, probably not since that last day at Upton Park. And it isn't that I have an ax to grind due to the stadium or Slav or anything like that - the football has just been regularly terrible. It's gotten to where I dread us playing, as I have no idea how we are going to play or if we are going to roll over and accept another 4-0 spanking. I watch now what I can but if I can't (thanks NBC for screwing us over and putting the "lesser clubs" on a paid-only-online subscription) I usually breathe a sigh of relief and hope for the best.

I do still enjoy catching other matches (though I am not recording anything this year), and I enjoyed Brighton v. Newcastle probably more than I enjoyed any of our matches this year - the energy and enthusiasm of it made for a great contest. I've also started following Roma a bit, and the most fun I've had all season was watching Roma beat AC Milan at a pub earlier this week.

Nothing beats a West Ham win, however. Even when I can't watch I find myself neurotically checking my phone and biting my nails the entire two hours.
hammernsickle

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Every minute of every West Ham match. Plus the Academy/ressies occasionally.

MotD if we've won that day. That's it, I think. Prefer to watch local/grass roots and coach kids.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion