Do you watch football.....

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Do you watch football.....

Postby Everard on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:34 pm

With regards to MotD, I've never really got on with the scheduling time. I hardly ever watch telly late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

Used to love The Big Match. Just after Sunday dinner... perfect timing. Catweazle and the Protectors on about 1pm and then fortunately Jack Hargreaves' 'Out of Town' while having dinner. :scarfer:
Everard

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Everard wrote:With regards to MotD, I've never really got on with the scheduling time. I hardly ever watch telly late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

Used to love The Big Match. Just after Sunday dinner... perfect timing. Catweazle and the Protectors on about 1pm and then fortunately Jack Hargreaves' 'Out of Town' while having dinner. :scarfer:

Why not record MOTD and watch it Sunday afternoon?
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby WHU Independent on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:14 pm

WHU: watch us live on tinternet (if not on sky) and live on Sky etc when we are on. Only miss a game if I am abroad, but try and watch it in a bar etc if I can.

Europa/CL: Not interested. May watch if Manure/Le Arse/Plastics get beat/trounced.

Foreign footy: Weird, I have no interest whatsoever, but recently caught a bit of a PSV Vs Feirenord Game and it was exciting: - right nasty affair, with a man sent off. End to end stuff, was a great watch. Also caught a Spanish game the other night which was decent, so if I randomly catch a decent looking game, I'll watch.

World Cup/Euros: I follow Germany and watch them as much as possible. Love the way they play 3-5-3 is my favoured formation and technically they are excellent. A joy to watch - mostly.
WHU Independent

Postby OFT on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

England matches?..... ...Tournament finals maybe.
MOTD? ..........................only our games in the main
Other live PL matches? No, never
CL/EL? ..........................No, maybe the finals.
Fizz.................................Never
foreign games?............. If they're on in a bar when abroad maybe..
OFT

Postby Wilko1304 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:42 pm

blaze.s8n wrote:Ice Hockey (Cardiff Devils).

You'll know my mate Paul Hinton then!
Wilko1304

Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:47 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:...apart from West Ham?

I religiously watch us....but everyone and everything else?

England matches? Tournament finals maybe.
MOTD? Hardly ever
Other live PL matches? If I'm at home, I suppose. Mostly on a quiet Sunday.
CL/EL? Not often until the very latest stages
Fizz and foreign games? Rarely.

I watch WHU on the box, down the pub, and on MotD, but almost invariably then turn off and hit the hay, as soon as our efforts have been broadcast.

I don't have Sky and have only ever 'streamed' the free-to-web CL and Europa finals.

However, my local mate, an Eagle, has Sky, so often join him and watch Palace matches....these days barely suppressing a snigger.

Watch England's games, but not religiously.

Haven't been in the stands for a match since FA6 replay, at The Boleyn.

Always listen to our games, on a Saturday, or Sunday, on the wireless.
prophet:marginal

Postby vmixture on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:56 pm

When we are live on the telly then yes, up until the point that we go 3-0 down then I switch over.

I always record MOTD and save it for a sunday afternoon. If we have lost then it just gets deleted. If we have won then I prepare to watch the whole thing, most of the time though I end up watching the first match, then fast forward through the post match chat, then through the rest of the games before watching ours.

In my head I love football but in reality its a different story.
vmixture

Postby BonzosBoots on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:21 pm

England - No
Champions League - No
West Ham - Every game on TV here
Premier League - Hardly any games any more

I find the game increasingly boring, every game blurs into the next as every team seems to play too similar a style.
BonzosBoots

Postby Diogenes on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:03 pm

Everard wrote:With regards to MotD, I've never really got on with the scheduling time. I hardly ever watch telly late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

Used to love The Big Match. Just after Sunday dinner... perfect timing. Catweazle and the Protectors on about 1pm and then fortunately Jack Hargreaves' 'Out of Town' while having dinner:

Ah, a man after my own heart. Those were the days. No Sky, no :Premier League. You didn't know who the owners were and/or didn't care.Managers used to last more than half a season. Proper European football of Champions, not also-rans and Cup Winners, Pub debate rather than anonymous Social Media. And I preferred Tony Curtis car and Tony Hargreaves - Legend!
Diogenes

Postby Arnold Layne on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:20 pm

If I'm not playing not that interested,that **** last night,f.cking hell ,rather cocktail stick my gentseye.
I'll watch non-league with more enthusiasm because they're going for it,there's lots of other things I'll do rather than watch 22 overpaid Cuntz badly kick a balloon about.
Arnold Layne

Postby costa75 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:36 pm

I always watch MOTD/MOTD2, but never at the time its on, I always Sky+ it.........

I'll watch live Premier League matches on Sky or B.T...........

Champions League I watch some of........

England qualifiers/Friendlies? I would rather cut my own b******s off with a pair of rusty pliers than sit through that turgid s**t.
costa75

Postby Clucking Bell on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:57 pm

I rarely miss West Ham games although as WC Pete said, this season NBC have changed the rules of engagement. Fortunately, I've been able to find a decent stream for every game but I'll cough up fifty bucks for the subscription if I have to.

I'll also watch USA and 'Home Nations' games in the World Cup and the latter in the Euros.

Other than that, I don't watch football and the only other sport I'll watch is cycling and even then it's just the last few kilometres of a stage.

As a kid, I'd rarely watch MOTD as I always had something better to do on a Saturday night and I'd normally have been to the game anyway. My father never really approved of ITV so the only time I ever watched The Big Match was if West Ham were playing. Otherwise, after my Sunday long bike ride and eating half my weight as Sunday lunch, I'd normally settle down to Ice Cold In Alex or whatever else the BBC were showing. Inevitably, by half-two I'd be fast asleep and wake up just in time for tea.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby last.caress on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:43 am

West Ham - If a match is on the telly for some reason, I'll probably watch it (I'm not talking about the sports channels here, I mean terrestrial). Once we're at the sharp end of the season I might stream a relegation/Europa six-pointer if one appears. But, tbh, KUMB represents more-or-less my last remaining tie to the club and to football in general. The game became more costly than I felt it was worth yonks ago. So, it outgrew me financially and I outgrew it in terms of my enjoyment.

My 13 year-old son enjoys playing football at school but he's never really taken to watching the professional game. He "supports" West Ham in a nominal sense I guess, because I do, but I'm not even sure how much I want to foist that upon him. He tells me he's one of only three or four kids in his entire year group who supports West Ham. Three or four! This is in Basildon! When I was growing up here in the eighties, West Ham were far and away the largest-supported team. They all support Chelsea now. Or Tottenham. There was only one kid in my year group who supported Chelsea. He was considered a bit of an odd-bod because of this rather alien choice, along with the one kid who supported Millwall, the one kid who supported Orient, the one kid who supported QPR and the one kid who supported Forest for some reason.

Engand/International - Haven't felt any affinity with the England side for a long time, maybe as far back as Euro 96. I don't especially care for Euro championships, maybe one in three will capture my imagination. I still enjoy the World Cups when they roll around and still watch as many of those matches as I can fit in (as celestial said, still reminds me of football the way I enjoyed it as a kid) but that has little if anything to do with whether or not England are in the tournament, out of the tournament or had never qualified for the tournament. Certainly, more West Ham players equals a more vested interest in a specific international side, for me. England friendlies/qualifiers? Forget that. I'd rather draw a little Clint Eastwood face on the end of my cock, and give him a cock-ring gun-belt, and glue some googly eyes on him, and a hat, and re-enact A Fistful of Dollars in its entirety, with my penile mini-Clint, than watch even one second of an England friendly or tournament qualifier (in fact now I've said all that, I've just worked out what I want to do with this rather grey Saturday).

MOTD - Don't think I've watched an episode in the 21st century.

Premier League (NON-WHU) - :lol:

CL/EL/foreign Leagues - See above

Lower league/semi-pro/amateur - No, but I have to say that the concept of going to see some football far further down the food chain appeals. I don't know how much further or where I'd even want to look but... hm. I've definitely got a vague, as-yet unformed interest in this area. I think.
last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Postby jaybs on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:47 am

Never missed football on TV, but I am starting to lose interest, it is no longer the game I grew up with, it is all about ££££ $$$$ if course The Hammers will always be so special to me, never give them up,
jaybs

Postby The Old Mile End on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:43 am

Here in Perth I watch us on Optus Sport. I only watch West Ham. I'll rarely watch any others even though all games are on. I'll update with the goals from other games at the end of the match unless it's finished late.
Midweek games are harder as the years go by - 3am or 4am kick offs. Optus sport is a nightmare unless it's live (so called "On Demand" for catch-up is crap).

I do watch Australia in World Cup qualifiers if important. I won't get up to watch England, but do try for the World Cup or Euros.

I find I enjoy lower league games much more if we can get them, and do like the FA Cup early rounds until the Premier League clubs take over.

Sometime watch the A league, but often miss the final because I've forgotten it's on!
The Old Mile End

Postby richneal on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:07 am

I watch tons of other football - absolutely love it.

Of course I watch us via space telly these days but I'm quite happy watching kids kicking it about around the park as I am watching the odd Champs League game.

In a way I prefer watching matches where I'm a neutral and don't give a monkeys about the result: I can relax, enjoy the game and think about the football rather than have a ******* fit with all the stress, frustration and anxiety I get watching us. For me nothing has changed in the last 45 years when it comes to watching us lose - still absolutely ruins my weekend.

Surprised to say this, but on this side of the pond the NBC broadcasts/commentary are generally excellent, so seems a lot easier to watch other teams in the Prem without the BS you get from the likes of MoTD.
richneal

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.

Postby Doc H Ball on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:05 pm

last.caress wrote:Lower league/semi-pro/amateur - No, but I have to say that the concept of going to see some football far further down the food chain appeals. I don't know how much further or where I'd even want to look but... hm. I've definitely got a vague, as-yet unformed interest in this area. I think.

I've gone to watch QPR a few times this season. I have no real affinity with them just some mates who go and I enjoy the lack of angst and emotional commitment. That said I feel a bit of a fraud hating seeing apathetic trippers at the horrible LS.

I look forward to ****ing off one day to a small town like Lewes and starting to 'support' the local non league Club in the place of the new West Ham. For now I'm trying to keep some ghosts alive.

Enjoy your Saturday.
Doc H Ball

Postby mushy on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Clapton FC at home to Hackney Wick today Doc, sounds a laugh.
mushy

Postby wormley on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Hardly ever watch football, the sky£££ has ruined it.

Footballers earning 100-300k per week for kicking a ball around. No thanks, not for me.
wormley

Postby dave_l on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:41 pm

DasNutNock wrote:The days when I'd watch any old sh*te game are long gone. I'll watch our games, England tournament games and qualifiers at a push. MOTD if I'm awake, or if we've played well and are early in the running order.

This is basically me now. I also follow Rugby and Cricket so I have to be half sensible with the amount I watch sport so I try to restrict it to stuff that's not just any old rubbish.
dave_l

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion