Wales vs Ireland

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Wales vs Ireland

Postby Jumby on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:10 pm

Why the f**k was Robson-Kanu starting is what I thought. The truth is, without Bale, we look a little lost, we need to get some decent strikers coming through but in the grand scheme of things Coleman is doing a fine job, a team/squad of players of whom many play in the second, third and fourth tiers of English football and he's taken them to a Euro semi final and almost qualified for a World Cup.
Jumby

Postby Junco Partner on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:20 pm

Slacking student wrote:Could have Republic Ireland vs Northern Ireland in the playoffs

Highlight last night was the Welsh fans - "You're just a s*** Northern Ireland" :D

No North v South clash possible due to the seedings, shame as footballing wise it's one of the less difficult draws for us.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby fmgod on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Ashley Williams looks dangerously close to being finished when you add in his club form this season as well.

It's almost setup poetically for a Seamus Coleman winner in a playoff game after his leg break
Last edited by fmgod on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod

Postby Jumby on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Ireland are still sh!t :lol: last night doesn't change that, arguably the most boring side from Britain, wait a minute, they're not even British, I don't get the affinity that so many seem to have with them, nobody gives a sh!t about how Gibraltar do.
Jumby

Postby Het-Field on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:32 pm

It's interesting, but I think this group has demonstrated that Wales have been the subject of more favourable public discourse, which in turn has helped them create a myth that they are one of the "big boys". I had been convinced for a long time that Wales were more than a one man team. I'm less convinced after watching
Them closely for the past 18 months.
Het-Field

Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Postby HarlowEssexHammer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:47 pm

I was hoping the Welsh would equalize late on to knock the pair of them out!
HarlowEssexHammer

Postby jhammers on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Was hoping they would draw so both would go out.
Oh well hopefully Ireland will get Italy or Croatia in the playoffs
jhammers

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Was in a pub in Pitlochry for the start of the match but had to go to The Enchanted Forest with the rest of the family - found out we were out this morning , ah well good luck to the Irish in the play-offs - would have been nice to have seen Wales in a World Cup just once before I die , hey ho -

Jumby - we wish the Irish well because they are our best and most loved neighbours outside the British Isles , I've yet to meet an Irishman I didn't like , hope they go on to do well .
Lots of Irish on here , Ageing [ Eamonn ] and Fionn , apologies to others I haven't mentioned , good luck to you all :thup:
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Puff Daddy on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:13 pm

jhammers wrote:Was hoping they would draw so both would go out.
Oh well hopefully Ireland will get Italy or Croatia in the playoffs

Assuming France make it, which they probably will, Sweden will be one to avoid too. Post Zlatan, they have a completely new look team and play with a swagger as well. If they make it to Russia, they will be one to watch there
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Moxy on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:22 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Was in a pub in Pitlochry for the start of the match but had to go to The Enchanted Forest with the rest of the family - found out we were out this morning , ah well good luck to the Irish in the play-offs - would have been nice to have seen Wales in a World Cup just once before I die , hey ho -

Jumby - we wish the Irish well because they are our best and most loved neighbours outside the British Isles , I've yet to meet an Irishman I didn't like , hope they go on to do well .
Lots of Irish on here , Ageing [ Eamonn ] and Fionn , apologies to others I haven't mentioned , good luck to you all :thup:

Thanks TOMOS, your an absolute gent mate.
Moxy

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Moxy wrote:
Thanks TOMOS, your an absolute gent mate.

No problem , Moxy , I'm pretty sure the Irish lads on here would have reacted the same had Wales gone through to the play-offs , there's no room for all this small mindedness that goes on sometimes - I don't like what goes on with some Scots when England play either - ' Anyone But England ' , I find it highly embarrassing .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby mjustincredible on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm

A lot of people have affinity with Ireland as a lot of people in the UK have family that are Irish, we are right next to them in Europe! I'm half Irish myself, having an Irish mother so was very happy to see them beat Wales. Still I was born in England with an English dad so will always support England 1st.

Sure the Irish will get a tough draw but you never know. Hopefully a dodgy handball won't deny them this time
mjustincredible

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:43 am

mjustincredible wrote:A lot of people have affinity with Ireland as a lot of people in the UK have family that are Irish, we are right next to them in Europe! I'm half Irish myself, having an Irish mother so was very happy to see them beat Wales. Still I was born in England with an English dad so will always support England 1st.

Sure the Irish will get a tough draw but you never know. Hopefully a dodgy handball won't deny them this time

Really good point that. It's a bit like people of Caribbean extraction supporting England over the West Indies at cricket. What is even more interesting is, most second and third generation Indians and Pakistani's remain loyal to their heritage
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:34 am

Jumby wrote:Why the f**k was Robson-Kanu starting is what I thought.

Making a career out of one great goal in the Euro's.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Samba on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 pm

[/quote]

Making a career out of one great goal in the Euro's.[/quote]

Bit like David 'Windmill' Platt after Italia '90!
Samba

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Samba wrote:
Bit like David 'Windmill' Platt after Italia '90!

Not like that at all really.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby GreenIron on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Samba wrote:Bit like David 'Windmill' Platt after Italia '90!

Ah, takes me back. I always remember thinking just that about him.

That and respecting how he made the most of his talent.

If he happened to be in the same room as Ravel Morrison it would be like matter and antimatter colliding and we'd all be ****ed.
GreenIron

Postby GreenIron on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Samba wrote:Bit like David 'Windmill' Platt after Italia '90!

Ah, takes me back. I always remember thinking just that about him.

That and respecting how he made the most of his talent.

If he happened to be in the same room as Ravel Morrison it would be like matter and antimatter colliding and we'd all be ****ed.
GreenIron

Previous

Return to General Discussion