Syria national team

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Syria national team

Postby steveyrockstar on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Just missed out on a WC place after losing to Australia 2-1 in the 2nd leg play-offs (3-2 on agg). Absolutely gutted for them, would've been a fairytale for their nation given all the horror they're going through. Incredible that they've even come this far. Until a few weeks ago, I wasn't even aware that they had a football team vying for qualification.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/10/tim-cahil ... m-6989504/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steveyrockstar

Re: Syria national team

Postby Hammer.CA on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:11 pm

They had to play their 'home' games in Malaysia amongst other places. They did really well to get that far. Had about 15,000 fans of theirs in attendance today.
Hammer.CA

Postby SpongeBob's Pants on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Top effort. Great to see, and hopefully provides even a modicum of happiness and pride to the beleaguered state.

Also a notable shout out to Iceland, who have made the WC.

Quarters in euro 2016, now made the WC. They have a population of around 330k people in the whole country.

Remarkable.
SpongeBob's Pants

Postby simon hammer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Proper gutted for Syrian team, but I hope they have bought some joy to a very troubled state.
simon hammer

Postby Yea Why Not on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Was at the game tonight. Gutted for Syria. Australia were terrible, they didn't deserve it. The Syrian support inside the stadium was outstanding
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby bubbles500 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 pm

This wasn’t final qualifying,they would have to play USA which would have been interesting.
bubbles500

Postby Yea Why Not on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:32 pm

SpongeBob's Pants wrote:
Also a notable shout out to Iceland, who have made the WC.

Quarters in euro 2016, now made the WC. They have a population of around 330k people in the whole country.

Yep, top effort that!
Yea Why Not

Postby Yea Why Not on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:35 pm

bubbles500 wrote:This wasn’t final qualifying,they would have to play USA which would have been interesting.

USA would have been one of 3 possible opponents I believe. Think Aus will now go on to play either USA, Panama or Honduras
Yea Why Not

Postby JCA on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:45 pm

I am on holiday in Sydney at the moment visiting our son who works in football down here and we all had comps from the FFA.
Syria had a huge and vocal support in the 42k crowd and played some good stuff,but the Aussies haven't lost a home qualifying tie for eons and veteran Tim Cahill stepped up with two good headers.
The Syrian keeper was outstanding,shades of Tomashevski for Poland at Wembley in '73.
JCA

Postby HarlowEssexHammer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Yea Why Not wrote:USA would have been one of 3 possible opponents I believe. Think Aus will now go on to play either USA, Panama or Honduras

Correct, Aussies will play whoever finishes fourth in that group, final games tonight (top 3 straight through).

Watched a bit of the Aus-Syria game at work, they hit the post in the 120th minute which would've put them through on away goals. Heartbreaking!
HarlowEssexHammer

Postby -DL- on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Everybody panicked when they heard the ref was going to blow up for full time
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby James P on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am

HarlowEssexHammer wrote:Correct, Aussies will play whoever finishes fourth in that group, final games tonight (top 3 straight through.)

Australia will face Honduras. Panama through automatically. USA out.
James P

Postby claretandblue82 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 am

James P wrote:
Australia will face Honduras. Panama through automatically. USA out.

Well done to Panama. Had to laugh at USA going out!

Like others have said gutted for Syria, they still had another round after this one though!
claretandblue82

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 pm

I've seen 3-4 of the Syrian national team games now, including both legs with Australia.

A good basic organisation in the team, pace and a genuine counter attacking threat.

On the other hand, Australia look a mess and have some puzzling inclusions in their squad when there are other talented players playing in the A-League. I've now watched them barely scrape by Syria in a 2 leg affair and also require a last minute winner against Thailand.
A shade of any former quality they once had.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby Jumby on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Looks like I'll be supporting Panama! It's going to be a truly awful World Cup, FIFA have killed any magic that was left in the tournament, hosting it in countries like South Africa, Brazil, Russia and Qatar is just ridiculous.
Jumby

Postby The Old Mile End on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:11 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:A good basic organisation in the team, pace and a genuine counter attacking threat...........On the other hand, Australia look a mess and have some puzzling inclusions in their squad when there are other talented players playing in the A-League. I've now watched them barely scrape by Syria in a 2 leg affair and also require a last minute winner against Thailand.
A shade of any former quality they once had.

I'd go along with that. The Aussies can be pretty sterile at times and certainly have some weak spots, and seem to play off-form players. Mooey stands head and shoulders above the rest of the side.

The Syrians always looked dangerous, but were extremely unsporting on the day. The manager was quite a character thats for sure! The big centre forward might make an impression somewhere in the right set up (I think he was the one who hit the post at the end).
The Old Mile End

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 pm

I'm amazed players like Josh Brillante and Alex Brosque aren't in the squad. Both will run all day and give great compliment to Mooy in the middle - who they didn't even start, by the way.
Jason Geria - who some on here will know I really like and want(ed) West Ham to sign - should be shoo in for the RB/RWB berth instead of playing Mathew Leckie out there, out of position.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby WHJ on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

[quote="Jumby"], hosting it in countries like South Africa, Brazil, Russia and Qatar is just ridiculous.[/quote]

Why so in South Africa and Brasil? I was at both of those and everyone I know that went to those two countries thoroughly enjoyed themselves too. With regard to Russia and Qatar, I agree with you for different reasons.
WHJ

Location: BMU - Soaking up the Boleyn atmosphere before we lose it forever>

Postby e17 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Jumby wrote:Looks like I'll be supporting Panama! It's going to be a truly awful World Cup, FIFA have killed any magic that was left in the tournament, hosting it in countries like South Africa, Brazil, Russia and Qatar is just ridiculous.

Uruguay 1930, Brazil 1950, Chile 1962, Mexico 1970, Argentina 1978, Mexico 1986, Brazil 2014....

How was Brazil ridiculous?

South Africa was no more or less ridiculous than South Korea/Japan 02 or USA 94, to be fair, just ruined by turgid games, those horn blowing things and an atrocious choice of football
e17

Postby sizza on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 pm

e17 wrote:
How was Brazil ridiculous?

South Africa was no more or less ridiculous than South Korea/Japan 02 or USA 94, to be fair, just ruined by turgid games, those horn blowing things and an atrocious choice of football

Brazil and South Africa are in ruins and they spent hundreds of millions on stadiums that are now destroyed while most of the country lives in complete poverty.
sizza

Next

Return to General Discussion