Strachan axed as Scotland bosd

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Strachan axed as Scotland bosd

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Probably no great surprise after he has failed to turn things around, but overall, I don't think he has done too bad a job with such a mediocre crop of players.Thoughts now turn to who will take over as boss of the tartan army. My choice would be Nicola Sturgeon
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Re: Strachan axed as Scotland bosd

Postby paulsies on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 pm

As a Scottish Hammer, I'm disappointed. Thought he did a decent job overall and can't see any other manager doing much better with the same group of players.
paulsies

Postby Georgee Paris on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Allardyce would stop them getting relegated.
Georgee Paris

Postby Believer on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Have to be honest here - I thought he had done a fairly decent job until I read an article by Tom English on the BBC website. When you compare the squads of the 2 Irelands with Scotlands, Scotland are certainly as good if not better than his 2 Irish counterparts

It's highlighted that he was way too loyal to certain players. He was late in selecting Griffiths and it could be said that had he picked him from the start of the qualifiers they may have beaten Lithuania at home and had the 2 points needed to get 2nd.

He continuously overlooked the Aberdeen squad despite them running Celtic Close in all 3 trophies last season (I don't know exactly how many Scots Aberdeen have but I have seen Shinnie on TV who looks a great player and I don't believe he has a cap). Youngsters at Hibs, Rangers overlooked for ageing players who ply their trade in English championship or League 1 just because they may have played a couple of games in the PL before.

I think scotland will miss his enthusiasm and passion. The players seemed to love him (maybe cos some of them knew they were fortunate to be Internationals).

The natural suggestion would be a young manager like Lambert or McInnes but I think they could do worse than approach Dalglish.
Believer

Postby tavbet on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Thats what happens when you insist on picking Snodgrass in your first XI
:scarfer:
tavbet

Postby steveyrockstar on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Believer wrote:Have to be honest here - I thought he had done a fairly decent job until I read an article by Tom English on the BBC website. When you compare the squads of the 2 Irelands with Scotlands, Scotland are certainly as good if not better than his 2 Irish counterparts.

Was about to say Scotland have a terrible squad on paper, but I just looked up Republic of Ireland to compare and the latter have Sean Maguire in their squad! That's the same Sean Maguire who was in our youth team a few years back who couldn't score for Sligo Rovers or Accrington Stanley.

Can't believe he's now playing for a country about to go to the WC.
steveyrockstar

Postby hammers92 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:14 am

It’s a perfect job for Allardyce imo. Last big hurrah and a chance to stick his finger up at a few people which he enjoys. Scotland fans might go for that.
hammers92

Postby upton o'good on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:29 am

Can I be first?

So, wee Gordon available...without having to pay compensation? I know who that may appeal to...
Last edited by upton o'good on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
upton o'good

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:41 am

tavbet wrote:Thats what happens when you insist on picking Snodgrass in your first XI

Not his fault.......Strachan probably played him out of position :wink:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby fmgod on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 am

He done a reasonable job, the problem is when you've got Northern Ireland and Iceland performing miracles everybody is going to be wanting that. The other big problem is obviously NI excluded but even the lesser teams have an out and out superstar, Wales - Bale, Poland - Lewandsoki, Austria - Alaba/Arnie, Serbia - solid,
fmgod

Postby jastons on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:18 am

It's not about performing miracles though, is it? It's about getting the basics right like picking in form players. Leigh Griffiths has been scoring goals for fun for years.
jastons

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 am

Good to see Strachan finally axed, two woeful campaigns under him.

Can't see Allardyce taking it as much as I would love him to be in charge.

Unfortunately it will be one of the usual names.

Until the likes of Regan and Doncaster **** off, no chance of Scotland making an international tournament.
Happyhammer52

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 am

Scottish football has been on the decline for years , Rangers getting relegated all those years ago didn't help either - interesting to hear Strachan saying that Scotland had the smallest [ height wise ] squad in the competition next to Spain quipping ' Maybe we could get some big men and women to get together ' [ to sort out the problem ] - football is all about big athletic players nowadays and Scotland are lacking in that department .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby OFT on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 am

upton o'good wrote:Can I be first?

So, wee Gordon available...without having to pay compensation? I know who that may appeal to...

:shock:
Please be the last.

The Scots are as bad as England when it comes to home grown manager choices. I suppose the easy option is Moyes but I'd be giving Big Sam a ring if I were them.
OFT

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Big Sam would be a great choice. He'd get them set up similar to O'Neil's ROE. Organised and tough to beat.

Personally though i'd like to see a Deadly Don and Tonka dream team :D
Cockneyboy311

Postby upton o'good on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:03 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Scottish football has been on the decline for years , Rangers getting relegated all those years ago didn't help either - interesting to hear Strachan saying that Scotland had the smallest [ height wise ] squad in the competition next to Spain quipping ' Maybe we could get some big men and women to get together ' [ to sort out the problem ] - football is all about big athletic players nowadays and Scotland are lacking in that department .

Yep, it is what makes Holland such world beaters...

[the Dutch are the world's tallest nation].
upton o'good

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:29 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Rangers getting relegated all those years ago didn't help either .

You are Paul Lambert, and I claim my £5.

Absolute nonsense.
Happyhammer52

Postby hammerheadjim on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Malky Mackay interim :arry:
hammerheadjim

Return to General Discussion