West Ham Utd 0-3 Brighton & Hove Albion (20/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Re: West Ham United v Brighton and Hove Albion match thread

Post by ChzMff »

The Sherriff wrote:One thing playing against the championship’s basement club who hadn’t won all season … as opposed to putting in a shift against a PL side.

He’s a complete luxury and devoid of effort.

If it was a player just getting to the premier from coming overseas that’s one thing, geezers been plying his trade in England since 2013.

Couldn’t give a flying **** what he does for his country, as a west ham fan the barometer is what he does for us.

Needs to start justifying his price tag.
Do you not think he deserves more than one full 90 minutes in a league game to do that?
Diogenes
Has liked: 479 likes
Total likes: 1200 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Stulaw wrote:So people on here are making unfounded **** up about Sakho again?

I'm going tomorrow, and my brother's taking his girlfriend to her first ever football game, hope it's a good one.
Why? What was his last girlfriend like?
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

The more you read those “comments “ coming from the club about Sakho and his latest injury the more it reads like there could be an issue behind the scenes...

Especially when I read what Zab said about him on the OS... I think Zab has taken a little role in speaking for the team (to an extent) after his previous comments on Arnie, AC and other players issues of late..

I got the sense Zab was trying to big him up to maybe build his confidence and optimism about his role in the team....
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Sakho out? There's a shock.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

****ing Hell. I am getting the right hump now.
Who on here remembers when you had eleven MEN who would be your first team selection all the time they were fit? They played at least two thirds of the season each, and your bench would grasp the opportunity to play out of their skin when said opportunity arose, even if they were a bit *****.
People laughed at Ranieri in the early days and called him Tinkerman. It didn't take long for everyone else to follow suit, maybe rightly.
It's all a load of political bowlacks now. We are questioning the validity of playing or leaving out players.
I'll be there tomorrow, but I have the usual modern day feeling of not feeling comfortable going into a game.
I hope beyond hope we beat Brighton tomorrow as I'm fairly local, but I just wish that I knew we would have a side that we know, a side we can trust rather than the sickly feeling of another 'tinker' without the grit of comforting assurance.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Fishdo wrote:The more you read those “comments “ coming from the club about Sakho and his latest injury the more it reads like there could be an issue behind the scenes....
You mean when Bilic said "...and Sakho has back pain. He didn’t train since Burnley so he’s out of Friday’s game. They could both be back for the Spurs game."

Yeah, really damning
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Stulaw wrote:So people on here are making unfounded **** up about Sakho again?
I'm going tomorrow, and my brother's taking his girlfriend to her first ever football game, hope it's a good one.
Diogenes wrote:Why? What was his last girlfriend like?
Interesting take Diogenes - I read that as Stulaws brother is actually taking Sakhos girlfriend to her first ever football game - which could explain why said player might have the hump :D
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

AC banned, Sakho out, Martinez excluded, Chicarito feeling his hamstring (so maybe too risky to include). Might be that Antonio will be centre forward , Masuaku teaming up with Cresswell on the left wing, Arnie switched to the right wing or him and Antonio swapping roles. This is going to be interesting (I hope!!!).
Hammers_Time

Post by Hammers_Time »

Good morning

A couple of days ago we didn't know which striker to put on the bench because we had so many options. Now we don't even have a proper second option in case Chicha has to come off.

I really don't understand why Toni Martinez isn't included, it would be the perfect opportunity for him. Homegame against a newly promoted team, how much better does it get for a youngster who on a run?

I think Bilic plans Ayew playing up front in case Chicha can't play the full 90.

I would start Masuaku instead of Cress since he is more of an offensive player, Arnie combined well with him in preseason.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Presumable Martinez isn't included because Slav doesn't think he is ready and would rather move one of our attacking midfielders up top instead of a relatively untried youngster.
Denzil
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 529 likes

Post by Denzil »

Denzil wrote:
Because they probably didn't consider Ladzini from KUMB's opinion on our best tactics and transfer policy.
Ladzini wrote: Oh, I'm sorry, here i was thinking this was a forum for discussion about the upcoming game between west ham and brighton. I must be mistaken!

Am I the only one on this forum who believes our signings don't reflect our managers preferred formation? of course i'm not, and yet you felt the need to have an unnecessary pop.

sad.
Lighten up mate it was said tongue in cheek. My point was more questioning why you're confused we bought players to fit Slav's positions with they system he wants to play & not players in how you want to play. Regardless of whether or not I also agree that Ayew does not seem to be a player we needed.

Anyway on topic, I fancy a strong performance tonight as long as we actually have a striker of course. WIth Hernandez fit:

Hernandez

Arnie - Lanzini - Antonio

Obiang - Kouyate

Cresswell - Fonte - Reid - Zaba

Hart

3-0
tavbet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tavbet »

Think I would be more than a bit gutted if I were Martinez. If he can't get a place on the bench when two of our 3 strikers are out and the 3rd is iffy then we will probably never what he can do.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Coops wrote:Presumable Martinez isn't included because Slav doesn't think he is ready and would rather move one of our attacking midfielders up top instead of a relatively untried youngster.
If true this is irritating to me. We are not talking about Martinez starting FFS and rather just being on the bench. If the manager would rather have a midfielder as an understudy then I have no idea why Martinez is at the club.

The weakest managers IMO are the ones who try and shoe horn 'top players' in to alien positions - how often does that work.
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

If that midfielder is Ayew it's even more of a worry :D

Martinez should be on the bench if Carroll and Sakho are out as he is the only other striker at the club.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

tavbet wrote:Think I would be more than a bit gutted if I were Martinez. If he can't get a place on the bench when two of our 3 strikers are out and the 3rd is iffy then we will probably never what he can do.
Agree with this.
What’s the point of having a development squad/reserve team, if players doing well in it are going to virtually get no chance with the first team.

If they were at Tottenham they would get the chance, and if they were English, after about 4 league games they would get an England call up :wink:
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

Picked up a ticket for this one last minute. Usually very pessimistic before a game but strangely confident about this one. 2-0 us.
Hamburger
Has liked: 864 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Hamburger »

ironilunga wrote: The weakest managers IMO are the ones who try and shoe horn 'top players' in to alien positions - how often does that work.
Yep in a nutshell. I've been bleating on about Bilic pandering to the top players and 'finding' a place for them in any position instead of using a 'like for like' squad player. I suspect if Chico is pulled off we'll see Arnie playing CF as he is taller than 5 foot and we can lump some balls in when all else fails. Dead nervous about Chico, can't afford to lose him especially when we can now play him properly (without sick note).
Last edited by Hamburger on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

Feel sorry for Martinez - obviously Slav doesn't like the lad!

Worried slightly that we will play Hernandez tonight and his hamstring will pop and we will be left with AC as our only fit striker (what a ****ing irony in that ..... just let it sink in for a moment!!!)

Tonight I am hoping he will maybe rest Hernandez and go with a front three of Antonio, Arnie and Ayew - AAA threat..... With Lanzini pulling the strings should still be too much for a Brighton side who no doubt will set up not to concede.... score 1 and a few more could follow if we hit them hard early!

3-0 to us - Antonio & Arnie first half, Hernandez off the bench to grab the third late on
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

1860OnceMoore wrote:
Worried slightly that we will play Hernandez tonight and his hamstring will pop and we will be left with AC as our only fit striker (what a ****ing irony in that ..... just let it sink in for a moment!!!)
Don't be silly.

AC has earned himself a well-deserved weekend off..

He will no doubt pull up injured, whilst off his tits stomping to happy hardcore, somewhere in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Hamburger
Has liked: 864 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Hamburger »

1860OnceMoore wrote:.........and we will be left with AC as our only fit striker (what a ****ing irony in that ..... just let it sink in for a moment!!!)

:lol: