Non League Football (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Non League Football (non WHU)

Postby west ham15 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:01 am

Anyone follow there local non league team? I've started to go and watch Waltham Abbey who are in the Bostik North Division.

Went Tuesday when we played Cheshut won 3-2, Tomorrow Barking at home.

Non league football :thup:
west ham15

Re: Non League Football

Postby Tenbury on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:16 am

For economic reasons,me and Ted go to Kidderminster Harriers every now and then.It's £8 for both of us+ about a fiver in fuel.Standard of play is patchy, but there's a good crowd,and genuine supporters.The biggest difference is the standard of referees,they're bloody awful.
Tenbury

Postby Bavarian_Hammer on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Not non league per se but started going to Unterhaching last November and been to most home games and a few away matches since. Ticket is 8€, Beer 3,50 and they actually play some sublime stuff. Been promoted to the third German division last year and are now sitting comfortably in 5th place. Overall just a great football experience with humble players and without all the corporate bs.
Bavarian_Hammer

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:10 pm

I've been a close follower of Dover Athletic since 2001. Before that,it was the odd casual visit around Arsenal games. Seen the good times, & the real 5hit times. (Including being 2 hours away from folding.) We are currently 2nd in the National league premier & having a good time of it right now.
I just so much prefer it to top flight football these days. 10 minute walk from home, proper terracing, & proper fans not the tourists that fill up Premier league grounds. I still follow the gooners from afar, but I would rather stand on the terraces at Dover than sit in that souless bowl any day.
Dover KUMB fan

Postby Hammer1972 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:58 pm

You're a gooner?
Hammer1972

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Tenbury wrote:The biggest difference is the standard of referees,they're bloody awful.

In what way is that a difference from any other league?
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:15 pm

I've been to more AFC Wimbledon games than I've been to West Ham in recent years. Cheap tickets, we can pile over for a midweek game after work, home at a reasonable hour. Can't really join in with the songs etc, but I'm happy to swear at the opposition/officials as and when the situation demands it...
DasNutNock

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:You're a gooner?

I sure am. I thought that was pretty much general knowledge on here
Dover KUMB fan

Postby Tenbury on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:37 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
In what way is that a difference from any other league[?

I'm not kidding Dan, it is no better than what Ted gets at U12 level.
Tenbury

Postby Hammer1972 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Dover KUMB fan wrote:I sure am. I thought that was pretty much general knowledge on here

Not sure I knew that. Hopefully I have treated you with the appropriate level of disdain in any past interactions... 8-)
Hammer1972

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Follower of Basingstoke Town FC
as said above , good chaps on the terrace, plenty of piss taking and mirth with lads that I have know all my life , £3 a pint
Best times are when a non league club goes on a decent FA cup run
FreeWheeling

Postby woodgreenspur on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Haringey Borough FC season ticket holder here.
Quality of football is decent and you can take a pint up to to stands with you.
Had a good cup run this year. Got to the 4th qualifying round. Lost to Heybridge ,last Saturday would have been rewarded with an away tie in the 1st round proper at big boys Exeter.

We play in in the same league as Waltham Abbey,who the OP follows.
Been away a few times as well. Bowers& Pitsea and Witham are decent awaydays.
Watch Enfield Town when I can fit it in as well.
Following non league football has made me realise I am still a football fan and not just a Spurs fan. The premiership /sky did wear me down.
woodgreenspur

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:49 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:Not sure I knew that. Hopefully I have treated you with the appropriate level of disdain in any past interactions...

I’m a gooner, you drive a BMW, call it a draw :wink:
Dover KUMB fan

Postby Hammer1972 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 pm

My BMW is so well made, it’s almost as quiet as your fans.
Hammer1972

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:54 am

FreeWheeling wrote:Follower of Basingstoke Town FC
as said above , good chaps on the terrace, plenty of piss taking and mirth with lads that I have know all my life , £3 a pint
Best times are when a non league club goes on a decent FA cup run

I'm an irregular at the Camrose and agree about non-league FA Cup runs .... Basingstoke v Northampton in the 2nd round in 1997 was a belter of an evening in terms of atmosphere. Thousands packed into the ramshackle ground, sub zero temps and a night game live on TV. Ended 0-0 and the Cobblers won on pens.

A mate of mine is an Aldershot fan so I go along with him occasionally. The Rec is a good old school ground, dilapidated in parts, volunteers selling raffle tickets, proper football fans and no daytrippers. Chelski u21s play there, so the pitch is Prem standard which looks a bit bizarre, particularly in the autumn when one end is covered with leaves that have fallen from the lime trees that line one end of the ground.
pablo jaye

Postby west ham15 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Waltham Abbey 2-2 Barking

Decent match, Abbey goalkeeper made an absolute howler which would be on most football embarrassing moments dvds :lol:

£3 a pint in supporters club before the match went down a treat.

Dulwich Hamlet at home in the cup next week is a big game! Hamlet today had a attendance just short of 2k! At Waltham Abbey today we had 88 lol

Very tempted to sell my Palace ticket so I can attend this game!!!
west ham15

Postby AnthraxDave on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Hereford are my local team, and I am a regular on the Meadow End terrace.
Currently 5th in Southern League Premier, having beaten Kings Langley 3-0 at home today. Really tight at the top of the table, with just a few points separating the top 5.
http://www.evostikleaguesouthern.co.uk/ ... nfo/tables
AnthraxDave

Postby Rocket on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:11 am

Like Dan, I go to watch AFC Wimbledon every now and then. It's not non-league, but is a world away from the Premier League. Obviously moving back to Plough Lane is very important to their supporters but I don't know if it'll have the same attraction for me once they've left the terraces behind.

I also had no idea that Dover KUMB fan is a Gooner.
Rocket

Postby WHU_Del on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:28 am

AnthraxDave wrote:Hereford are my local team, and I am a regular on the Meadow End terrace.
Currently 5th in Southern League Premier, having beaten Kings Langley 3-0 at home today. Really tight at the top of the table, with just a few points separating the top 5.
http://www.evostikleaguesouthern.co.uk/ ... nfo/tables

The league where you will find my other non-league loves apart from Maidstone United, the mighty Rebels of Slough Town top of the tree!
I got involved with them when I lived there, and the Council were running a Football In The Community scheme, but were short of coaches, so in exchange for a few hours on a Saturday morning, they would put you through an FA Level 1 course and a First Aid course.
After a while, the football club took it over and the scheme was then run by them under the auspices of Brian McDermott. We got paid then :D
The club would then give kids free tickets to the home games, and we would go as chaperones (for which we also got paid) and then I started going to away games.
Hitchin Town was fun, and Yeading (before they merged with Hayes), and there was a League Cup final against Aylesbury (played at Marlow) which we lost on pens.
There were some decent ex-pros around at that time, Slough had just signed Graham Roberts, I remember seeing Mickey Hazard and Peter Rhodes-Brown in opposition, as well as our old chum Allen McKnight, playing for Collier Row. This was all in the Isthmian League rather than the Southern that they're in now, it was known as the Diadora League then, and there was an experiment with 'kick-ins' as an alternative to throw-ins. You can guess how successful that was...
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby Tenbury on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:46 am

If we're allowed to include league 2,had some business in Gloucester last week,so me and Ted took the opportunity to visit Forest Green Rovers v Newport County..
Terrible team,nice ground,but on top of the steepest hi!l in the world,true fans,f*****g awful catering.
BTW, Frank Herman Nouble still looks pretty good.
Tenbury

Next

Return to General Discussion