Non League Football (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Non League Football

Postby Lilyhammer on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 pm

[quote="Robbie"]
I go over to Eastbourne Borough. It doesn't sound as fun as 'Town' by your description. The food and football is good though.
I love going to football without the bullshite. If I contrast last week at Eastbourne and Friday night at the bowl there is no comparison financially or otherwise. I'll still go to West Ham whenever I can though as unfortunately they are the be and end all for me. Oh well.

I wish borough or town would play home games on the odd Friday night, it would make sense, we average crowds of nearly 200, and this could double if a game was played on a Friday evening, the same for Borough I expect, next Saturday we are at home to Pagham FC who bring quite a few fans along and it usually ends up as a big sing along in the bar afterwards, and a few of the Pier pressure boys are West Ham,
We won’t talk about Eastbourne United or Langney Wanderers as the saying goes....... 2 teams in Eastbourne there’s only 2 teams in Eastbourne!
Lilyhammer

Postby WHU_Del on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:15 am

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:The thing that always cracks me up is at half-time, both sets of who stand behind the goals, swap ends, so there always watching their team play towards them.

Used to do that in the Isthmian when I watched Slough. Carshalton was great, as they had a covered terrace along one touchline, so you didn't get wet.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby JimBlythNo1 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:33 am

I go to my local side Wealdstone. They do a deal of half price if you show a season ticket from the Premiership or Championship. At the begining of the season, you could have bought a Wealdstone season ticket for £75
JimBlythNo1

Postby hammerleroy on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:33 am

I go to watch Rushden & Diamonds who I'm sure Kumbers will remember reaching the dizzy heights of Division One and playing us in the League Cup at UP. That goal by Onandi Lowe who later wrecked his career on a drugs bust! Had a superb little stadium at nearby Irthlingborough (The Doc Martens!) which has now been demolished like our Boleyn. They went bust and were re-invented down at the bottom in the United Counties League playing on Wellingborough's ground. A couple of promotions and they are now playing in the Southern League Central (The Evo-Stick I believe) . Kicked out by Wellingborough at the end of last season and, after an incredible effort to get the ground ready, they are now back where it all started at Hayden Road in Rushden! They reached the play-offs in the last two seasons and are currently doing OK with the best home crowds in that league. This has not gone down well with the locals as you can imagine with no car park it is utter mayhem in the streets adjacent to the ground. Soon it'll be "dustbins and planks of wood" out as it used to be near UP! Anyway with my advancing years it's some football to watch as I swore I'd never go back after that final game at the Boleyn. With what's happening at present I don't miss it one bit. Thanks for reading Kumbers!!! :)
hammerleroy

Postby E7Iron on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 am

I go over to East Thurrock United as and when I can. Flying at the moment, just lost out to Ebbsfleet in the final FA Cup Qualifying Round. Would of hosted Doncaster Rovers at home. 8th in the National League South, 3 points separate 8th and 1st. Only lost once all season and are punching well above our weight. Being helped by our club captain and top scorer Sam Higgins, 45 goals in 40 games last season and 10 in 14 this.
E7Iron

Postby Happyhammer52 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:07 am

Not been to the Running Track, and have no interest in doing so, last year I went to the likes of Luton Town, Lewes, Crawley just to see some football. Went to nine games in total, and was completely bloody bored if I wasn't at a game.

So this year, decided to watch a game from every ceremonial county in England. Currently sitting on 18 (only another 30 to go), been to some terrific non-league grounds and seen some cracking games.

Basingstoke, Bury Town, Chippenham, St Austell, Consett AFC, Fisher, Scarborough are just a few to name. Really enjoying it so far, and fairly confident of managing to do the rest by the end of the season.

Have found that my interest in Premiership football has completely dwindled, rarely watch any games on the box etc.
Happyhammer52

Postby pharaoh on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 am

hammerleroy wrote:I go to watch Rushden & Diamonds who I'm sure Kumbers will remember reaching the dizzy heights of Division One ...

I remember going there and watching us play in a friendly once. It was a decent ground for that level, I remember it being in the middle of nowhere. Sad that it's been demolished but I think it was all funded by Max Griggs of Dr Martens who had a sponsorship with us at the time. I suppose the problem with that is once the owner loses interest or dies there is not enough support to keep it up, I can see Forest Green Rovers going the same way.
pharaoh

Postby woodgreenspur on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 am

JCA wrote:Heybridge Swifts, through to FAC 1st round proper v Exeter away 5th November

Good luck against Exeter.
Your fans you brought to Haringey were top draw the other week :)
woodgreenspur

Postby 17 years of hurt on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am

Watch a few around me in Surrey on a Saturday that the Hammers aren't playing. Mainly Merstham as I know a few of the lads down there. They are great little club and got to the 1st round proper of the FA cup las year. Will pop along to the odd game at Chipstead, South Park, Carshalton Athletic or Dorking Wanderers.

Easy to take the kids and let them have a little run around on a Saturday afternoon.

Although I still enjoy watching us (more so away than home), it's quite nice watching a bit of footy without all the bull**** that the premier league brings.
17 years of hurt

Postby hemelite on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:55 am

I left West Ham when they did away with the terraces and bought a season ticket at Hemel Hempstead Town (then Ryman league).
I loved the fact i could drink pitch side and not have to look over my shoulder for some twat that wanted to slap me. Found the whole experience pleasant and the away games very friendly.
I have followed the Tudors home and away ever since and can honestly say i wouldn't bother with Pro footy anymore - albiet Hemel are now Connie South and on the verge as it were.
I would recommend Non League to anyone who just wants to watch footy and have a laugh without all the bollox.
This Saturday around 30 of us are going to East Thurrock United in Corringham. A ground i've been to a few times. Should be a good game.
hemelite

Postby golfidc2004 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 am

My non league team is Dagenham & Redbridge. Follwed them for donkeys years as my dearly departed dad was club secretary for about 25 years back in the 70's when they were really good. (the days when they got to Wembley and won the FA Amateur Cup and the FA Trophy). Used to go to all the matches (home and away) sometimes on the team bus!. This was when they were just Dagenham though before they joined with others.
Really enjoyed those days. Now I live in Somerset so dont get to matches any more sadly.
golfidc2004

Postby Happyhammer52 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am

hemelite wrote:I left West Ham when they did away with the terraces and bought a season ticket at Hemel Hempstead Town (then Ryman league).

Saw them away to Chippenham earlier in the season (5-1 loss) but they had a terrific set of fans.

Didn't play that badly either, just one of those days.
Happyhammer52

Postby E7Iron on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:42 am

hemelite wrote:I left West Ham when they did away with the terraces and bought a season ticket at Hemel Hempstead Town (then Ryman league).
I loved the fact i could drink pitch side and not have to look over my shoulder for some twat that wanted to slap me. Found the whole experience pleasant and the away games very friendly.
I have followed the Tudors home and away ever since and can honestly say i wouldn't bother with Pro footy anymore - albiet Hemel are now Connie South and on the verge as it were.
I would recommend Non League to anyone who just wants to watch footy and have a laugh without all the bollox.
This Saturday around 30 of us are going to East Thurrock United in Corringham. A ground i've been to a few times. Should be a good game.

:thup: Gutted I cannot make it this Saturday as I am playing myself. As you say, should be a good game. Up the Rocks!
E7Iron

Postby SoulCircus on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:43 am

Been going to watch Horsham on and off for years - bit less this season as they are playing in Lancing while the new ground is being built. The 2008 FA Cup run to the 2nd round against Martinez's Swansea was one of my best moments as a supporter.

Have to admit I'm not a huge fan of 3G pitches and there are tons of them down this way - I understand the pros of them at non-league level but I don't think it makes for a great spectacle. Reminds me of the bad old days against Luton...
SoulCircus

Location: Drunk and exhausted. Critically acclaimed and respected.

Postby Happyhammer52 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 pm

SoulCircus wrote:Been going to watch Horsham on and off for years - bit less this season as they are playing in Lancing while the new ground is being built. The 2008 FA Cup run to the 2nd round against Martinez's Swansea was one of my best moments as a supporter.

On my doorstep the new place. Good win for them on Saturday.

Really need to get to down to Arundel at some stage, one hell of a backdrop.

Happyhammer52

Postby hammerleroy on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Yes pharoah, Max Griggs did lose interest as his business was floundering. My son, a long-time Hammers season ticket holder, worked at the Doc Martens factory which closed and it was downhill from there. The ground was in nearby Irthlingborough which had a team in the UCL called Irthlingborough Diamonds. When Griggs built the stadium there, the local team was swallowed up and Rushden Town became Rushden & Diamonds! And still are! Incidentally my lad also goes to R & D and meets up with Hammers fans who used to be regulars at the Boleyn and indeed most the away trips too. Sorry to say that they too have said goodbye since the demise of the old Boleyn. :(
hammerleroy

Postby SoulCircus on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Happyhammer52 wrote:On my doorstep the new place. Good win for them on Saturday.

Really need to get to down to Arundel at some stage, one hell of a backdrop.

Yes, it was, been struggling in the league this season so a vital win.

I've played on that Arundel pitch before, many moons ago. Beautiful town. Love that part of Sussex.
SoulCircus

Location: Drunk and exhausted. Critically acclaimed and respected.

Postby hemelite on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Happyhammer52 wrote:Saw them away to Chippenham earlier in the season (5-1 loss) but they had a terrific set of fans.

Didn't play that badly either, just one of those days.

Yep i was one of the few behind the goal. Bad day for Hemel but we still had fun.
hemelite

Postby west ham15 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Happyhammer52 wrote:

That looks amazing :thup:
west ham15

Re: Non League Football (non WHU)

Postby sendô on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I like how (non WHU) has now been added to the title of this thread...
sendô

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion