Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Postby Colours never run on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:20 am

westhamlinnet wrote:Sorry I only meant home games as unfortunately for me the only away games I have been to this year are arsenal away in cup and Wigan away not pleasurable.

That's fair enough Linnet.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby fmgod on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:21 am

Douthy wrote:When people say Moyes is too negative, what are they comparing him too?

And what West Ham have they been watching the last 10 years?

The idea Bilic was an attacking football manager makes me laugh.

Agreed, as well as that what type of football do they expect us to play with all the injuries and even asside from that every time we try attacking for 90 minutes we get counter attacked to shreds. You can only use what players you have, i mean even Chelsea, United aren't great to watch, Arsenal have their moments but aren't consistent.
fmgod

Postby Billydinho on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:24 am

Douthy wrote:When people say Moyes is too negative, what are they comparing him too?

And what West Ham have they been watching the last 10 years?

The idea Bilic was an attacking football manager makes me laugh.

Well Arsenal, Shrewsbury, Wigan and both Bournemouth games just a few where he had no attacking intent.

You could rather harshly bung Watford and Everton away into that.

And if the idea that Bilic was attacking is 'laughable' to you then you have a strange sense of humour. Whatever floats your boat mate. :thup:
Billydinho

Postby Colours never run on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 am

Hockley Hammer wrote:Having supported West Ham for 50 years when generally our away form is pretty rubbish I always feel a poor away performance and result is never that far away with us.

I'm not going to think Moyes is going to turn that around in a few months.

The Everton game he had hardly got his feet under the table and we were an utter shambles at the time.

The Brighton game - we played poorly and lost - he admitted it. It happens..

People say the substitutions on Saturday were negative. To me Byram and Rice gave us new energy and possession when we needed it.

Likewise I've seen it all down the years, however I don't buy the 'he was only just getting his feet under the table, it happens against newly promoted Clubs, the Cups don't matter', if it's bad at the time and whoever's in charge, it's their responsibility to make sure we don't get embarrassed. Now I'm not saying no manager is immune to an emmbarrassing performance, it's More that they should be pulled up when they do **** up badly. No manager without exception in my opinion should be immune from criticism when they get it wrong.

I totally agree regarding the subs on Saturday, I didn't find it an issue being 2-0 up comfortably in control of the game, Moyes called it right against Watford.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Hockley Hammer on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:45 am

Colours never run wrote:if it's bad at the time and whoever's in charge, it's their responsibility to make sure we don't get embarrassed. Now I'm not saying no manager is immune to an emmbarrassing performance, it's More that they should be pulled up when they do **** up badly. No manager without exception in my opinion should be immune from criticism when they get it wrong.
I don't disagree with any of that but to me there is a difference between negativity and a performance where we just fail to do the basics right.

Under Moyes we are doing the basics right more often than not. It's amazing how much better we perform when we do especially with a bit of pace on the pitch.

Some of the defeats where people are unhappy especially the cup defeats to me seemed a totally inept performance on the pitch by players who should do better.

I don't see how you can show any intent in a game when you can't keep possession or pass the ball to a team mate.
Hockley Hammer

Postby goa127 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:53 am

We just do better in tight games, of which there are a lot this season. I reckon Moyes has gained us an extra 9 or 10 points over the previous management. I'm not trying to turn this into an anti-bilic argument, just praising Moyes for getting an extra 10% out of the team.
goa127

Postby Hamburger on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 am

Regardless of team performances and/or perceived mistakes, there is no doubt Moyes has transformed individual players and managed to get them playing as a mostly coherent unit (considering injuries). That is a vast improvement to Bilic and I think it is a shame he will leave at the end of the season. The board are talking up him staying but I have been told from a reliable source that he intends to leave. Whether he does or not is a different matter but the embarassing ineptitude of Sullivan to get any of his transfer targets with his awful negotiating would have severely damaged his reason to stay. The revamping of the transfer set up cannot a coincidence either. They are deflecting blame onto Tony Henry when it is more likely Moyes has expressed his displeasure at Sullivan's incompetence and abject failure to support him at the very first chance to do so.
Hamburger

Postby Antwerp_Lad on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Massive humble pie here, he's definitely improved us.

He's far from perfect and I don't think I want him for the long term but credit where credit's due.
Antwerp_Lad

Postby Smonnie on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 pm

goa127 wrote:We just do better in tight games, of which there are a lot this season. I reckon Moyes has gained us an extra 9 or 10 points over the previous management. I'm not trying to turn this into an anti-bilic argument, just praising Moyes for getting an extra 10% out of the team.

I don't agree - I think Moyes has actually got a lot more out of what is essentially the same team. I reckon he's been worth an extra 3 - 4 wins compared to Bilic.

Not slagging Slav off, by the way - I just think Moyes has done better with the resources available.
Smonnie

Postby bubbles1966 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Since the beginning of December when we changed systems, we are sixth on form. We are plus six GD and the fifth highest scorers in the league.

Looking at the entire season, only the top 6 have scored more goals from open play than us.Our problems have been at the other hand for most of the last three years.

Moyes has opted for safety in numbers because of our quality issues.

Slaven almost always did better when he picked a back three, wing backs etc. It was unfathomable that we didn't start the season playing that way, and that we kept changing away from it at the slightest set back.
bubbles1966

Postby uptonparkhurst on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:02 pm

^^^^^^
We look OK when we are pressing intently, but this squad can't maintain it for 90 minutes (or anything like).
Oh for some roadrunners like Parker, Collison and Behrami in the squad..
uptonparkhurst

Location: On the ground floor, thinking that the "next level" could be the basement

Postby vind on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm

I go to most home games and on the whole we are more solid. On Saturday, we nearly let Watford in when Ogbonna sprinted back and made a tackle. Wouldn't have happened under previous regime. We look a lot more solid but with some creativity up front.

I think Moyes would be great for the next few year. We need a manager who breeds defensive solidity, we aren't a Liverpool or Man City
vind

Postby goa127 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm puzzled smonnie, you said you disagreed but then said exactly what I was saying. I said he got us an extra 9-10 points you said 3-4 wins. That's pretty much the same isn't it? Confused :?
goa127

Postby bubbles1966 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Sounds like he's definitely here next year....

“We’ve put together some plans and thoughts about what we’re going to do (recruitment) and over the years I had good success with the way we ran it,” said the manager, alluding to his eleven-year spell at Everton, where he unearthed a succession of future first-team stars from a variety of courses.

“Sometimes it can take a bit of time and you don’t get time in management to set up a recruitment strategy and how you want it to go, because you’re only as good as your last win in terms of who you sign and what you do, but we are going to try and look at it slightly differently and see if we can do things in a slightly different way than it’s been done in the past and hopefully it will work.

“I’m going to certainly be heavily involved in the process of helping get it set up, but the Chairman will be heavily involved as well. Everyone at the Club will be to get something that looks right.

“The hardest thing is to get things done exactly right at this time because there may be people in jobs who we wouldn’t be able to take away just now, so we might have to do it more in-house at this time.

“Hopefully we’ll find ways of churning it back out and trying to make decisions which are right. They have signed an awful lot of good players here, a lot of good players – Manuel Lanzini, Marko Arnautovic – so there’s no criticism, but we’re going to set up something that hopefully gives us another look. It’s going to come a little bit away from the chairman. The Chairman is going to try to stand aside a bit from it.

“I’m a manager who wants to do things correctly well and I’ve seen what correct looks like. It doesn’t mean you win games, and I’ll be judged by winning games, but if you think that people are putting the right things in place in any business, no matter how you work in the structure, whether it’s me or somebody else, I would hope it’s the right way to go.”

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... ecruitment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bubbles1966

Postby westlondonhammer on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:53 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Since the beginning of December when we changed systems, we are sixth on form. We are plus six GD and the fifth highest scorers in the league.

Looking at the entire season, only the top 6 have scored more goals from open play than us.Our problems have been at the other hand for most of the last three years.

Moyes has opted for safety in numbers because of our quality issues.

Slaven almost always did better when he picked a back three, wing backs etc. It was unfathomable that we didn't start the season playing that way, and that we kept changing away from it at the slightest set back.

Spot on

Do we set up in a defensive way? Yes... but its not always been boring, especially when certain personnel are available (which is key...like with all teams)

2 of Lanzini, Arnie and Noble are simply essential in us playing

We need better alternatives when they aren't available. Mario looks good enough to add to that group
westlondonhammer

Postby OnePaulHilton on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:43 pm

goa127 wrote:I'm puzzled smonnie, you said you disagreed but then said exactly what I was saying. I said he got us an extra 9-10 points you said 3-4 wins. That's pretty much the same isn't it? Confused :?

You two must spend your whole life puzzled coming out with crap like that. So we would have had 18 or 20 points without Moyes.
I am not slagging off Moyes by the way.
OnePaulHilton

Postby OnePaulHilton on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:52 pm

]
bubbles1966 wrote:Since the beginning of December when we changed systems, we are sixth on form. We are plus six GD and the fifth highest scorers in the league.

Sorry I missed this moment at the beginning of December when we changed systems . Remind me what happened.
OnePaulHilton

Postby bubbles1966 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm

OnePaulHilton wrote:Sorry I missed this moment at the beginning of December when we changed systems . Remind me what happened.

We started playing with a back three and generally more compact set up.
bubbles1966

Postby OnePaulHilton on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Oh I thought we had done that before then.
OnePaulHilton

Postby bubbles1966 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:01 pm

OnePaulHilton wrote:Oh I thought we had done that before then.

We did at times. Mystery why Slaven kept going back to back 4s and no holding midfield, He'd still be here now if he hadn't.
bubbles1966

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion