Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Postby OnePaulHilton on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Nah. I think he would have seen sense and resigned by now. Shoulda done earlier.
OnePaulHilton

Postby Rays Rock on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm

OnePaulHilton wrote:Nah. I think he would have seen sense and resigned by now. Shoulda done earlier.

Nah, they all want their pay-offs, so they never resign even when they've failed.
Rays Rock

Postby OnePaulHilton on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:35 pm

You're right there. Except he didn't fail.
OnePaulHilton

Postby ClydeBuilt on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:34 am

bubbles1966 wrote:Sounds like he's definitely here next year....

Hadn't seen that quote Bubbles thanks for putting it on here.

For some people it might not mean much but for me it's absolutely sweet music. The club needs to stop trying to sign the 'next level' player and start to build a team that can put us on sure footing to make that step.

Moyes has spoken about Spurs and Chelsea type. Strong, fit and capable of playing high tempo football. He's looking for a calibre of player that can fit a style etc and we desperately need that.

If he and the staff are involved in this fully then I absolutely trust him to find quality there. It's not about spending massive amounts. It's about finding players who fit our team and the way he wants to play. They can cost 3m from Belarus or Belize for all I care. I'm not waiting for us to sign big names. I'd prefer we get back to making the next big names.
ClydeBuilt

Postby Colours never run on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 am

bubbles1966 wrote:
We did at times. Mystery why Slaven kept going back to back 4s and no holding midfield, He'd still be here now if he hadn't.

That's just it thpugh, he wanted too and would have kicked on had we got in someone of the likes of Carvalho which was clearly a big game changer for the team and Bilic. Had he been adequately supported (it didn't necessarily have to be Carvalho but another quality Defensive Mid) then he'd still be here now even after having to contend with the first 4 games played away (I still can't believe he had to put up with that **** at the beginning of a new season that sets the tone).

Moyes or any other manager would have been bang up against it also considering how Bilic was let down when his strategy was to see the team out that way thinking he'd eventually get the right player in at the death.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby goa127 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 am

I think 18-20 points would have been optimistic without the management change. But that's all conjecture, Moyes has managed to get the points.
goa127

Postby JCA on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:21 am

Recalibrating the definition of "next level" to mean "stability" before moving on seems sensible.
JCA

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 am

JCA wrote:Recalibrating the definition of "next level" to mean "stability" before moving on seems sensible.

I don’t think the “moving on” bit is right - . the club I mean, not the manager - they’ll continue to come and go. But the rest of that line is right. That it should have come to this though is a huge indictment of our masters.

Anyway, what is surely now indisputable is that despite the current and previous manager having both been let down on the transfer front, particularly the DM front, Cavalho in Bilic’s case and Dendoncker in Moyes’s, it’s the latter who has made the better fist of his meagre resources this season. He’s not had sufficient time to have been ground down yet though.

Next level it most certainly isn’t or ever will be under current ownership but that’s not any manager’s fault.
DaveWHU1964

Postby JCA on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 am

DaveWHU1964, just to clarify "moving on"........I meant the club generally not Moyes himself. I'd actually like to see him stay for next year.
JCA

Postby woodford on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:36 am

i could be very wrong on this but David Moyes gives the impression that he wouldn't shut up and roll over when Sullivan starts his character assassination

He also batted one straight back to his paymaster yesterday by saying the chairman would still be very involved in transfer dealings. Something Sullivan was trying to distance himself from 48 hours earlier
woodford

Postby Danny's Dyer Acting on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 am

Positive stuff from Moyes about sticking around beyond the summer. I'm not a fan of him but can't deny he's doing a good job whenever he gets anything close to a fit squad.

Interesting that even in a brief conversation about the plans for transfers moving forward we can't quite get our stories straight....

“I’m going to certainly be heavily involved in the process of helping get it set up, but the Chairman will be heavily involved as well. Everyone at the Club will be to get something that looks right.

They have signed an awful lot of good players here, a lot of good players – Manuel Lanzini, Marko Arnautovic – so there’s no criticism, but we’re going to set up something that hopefully gives us another look. It’s going to come a little bit away from the chairman. The Chairman is going to try to stand aside a bit from it.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Postby ludo22 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:34 am

Been very impressed with DM.There have been a couple of blips but the man has done a very good job in shitty circumstances and I actually quite like the guy an a personal level.He has an air of honesty and decency with a whiff of "don't **** with me"and,quite frankly,the job he's done on Arnie is worth his wages alone.Most importantly,he seems to have the respect of the players.I think we would be insane not to offer him a contract.Given the right backing(!),he could be the right man.
ludo22

Postby Aceface on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:01 pm

I don't really want Moyes being central to recruitment any more than I want Sullivan to do it. Managers will come and go, and a bad run of form next season and he's out the door too.

Should be someone who's only remit is the long-term building of a squad, taking input from – but not fully driven by – the manager.
Aceface

Postby Brendan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Remembering the Everton teams that DM brought to Upton Park they were very hard to beat without being spectacular. Remember one game when Phil Neville run the game from defensive midfield and was on at his players all the time. One time he ran to Jelavic who had gone offside for the umpteeth time, told him what he thought.

If DM can get his own players in I think he will first of all maintain us as a mid table team, maybe spring the odd result against the top six. Then maybe creep up to a best of the rest position which is 7th, no chance of top 6 without major sigificant investment.
Brendan

Postby goa127 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:42 pm

If you read the quotes carefully they are not contradictory. Moyes says he will be heavily involved in setting up the new system as will the chairman. The other quote says that under the new system sulli would take a step back . Good news if it happens, but it's dependent on Moyes staying and sulli resisting the temptation to stick his nose in
goa127

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:44 pm

goa127 wrote:If you read the quotes carefully they are not contradictory. Moyes says he will be heavily involved in setting up the new system as will the chairman. The other quote says that under the new system sulli would take a step back . Good news if it happens, but it's dependent on Moyes staying and sulli resisting the temptation to stick his nose in

None of it will make a blind bit of difference, as Sullivan is still the one who holds the purse strings!
somerset-hammer

Postby goa127 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 pm

agreed about sulli holding purse strings, but Moyes is no stranger to tight-fisted owners. Ironically Everton have splashed cash for the first time in decades and have their worst team for some time. Assuming GSB aren't going to change their spots Moyes may well be the best fit for the club right now.
goa127

Postby libero on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Moyes was at Real Sociedad for one year spanning 2 transfer windows (January, then summer/September) and he had no influence on signings whatsoever. Indeed, he admitted that he hadn't even heard of most of those who came in during his stay.

That's mostly to do with Real Sociedad having a strong youth policy - for both Basques and non Basques and a very well entrenched (& very unpopular) Director of football

The only player he ever talked about signing at any time was Adnan Janusaj, who was on loan with him at Sunderland.

Ironically, the Janusaj signing didn't happen under Moyes - but he was signed a year after he was sacked - and has been extremely underwhelming this season
libero

Postby Westbourne Bill on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Not that I was particularly impressed with his appointment at the time either , but it is quite amusing to go back to page one of this thread and read who said what about him.
Westbourne Bill

Postby libero on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 pm

I'll admit I was very unhappy with his appointment, but I'll hold my hands up and admit he's done a much better job than I ever expeced

That said, if we are to have ambition and watch exciting football at West Ham, I still think he should be a short term appointment rather than anything else

We stay up, he re-establishes his tarnished reputation and both sides move on after thanking him for a good job done
libero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion