Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Postby BubbleBoy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 pm

Moyes does not have that many options to chose from, certainly across defence and midfield. So all these arguments that it's **** to pick the same team vs Chelsea and Stoke are a bit meaningless.
Our outlets are all dribblers rather than passers, so it's very difficult for us to control possession, (although tonight I thought we did that actually).
Im not sure what other option he had this season that to try and stop us shipping goals and playing it a bit route one. As lovely a finisher as Chich is I don't think we can play a 442 and win games, which leaves a 541 with Arnie out wide making us less threatening IMO.
Moyes isn't the problem at this club. I've actually been pretty impressed with him. With our budget we won't get better.
BubbleBoy

Postby swash on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 pm

I was coming round to the idea of Moyes staying, but tonight's game fills me with dread of watching that sort of **** for another 2 or 3 seasons
swash

Postby billtho on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 pm

Think you misread my post jackhammer i said we were playing with one forward but if as you say all prem teams play with one forward/striker then liverpool with sane firmini salah chelsea with hazard and morate..city with sane sterling jesus even west brom with rondon rodriquez united with lukaku sanchez palace benteke zaha .I think most teams play with more forwards than moyes does.
billtho

Postby Billydinho on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 pm

I think he's more Curbishley than he is Allardyce.
Billydinho

Postby Harry Hound on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 pm

swash wrote:I was coming round to the idea of Moyes staying, but tonight's game fills me with dread of watching that sort of **** for another 2 or 3 seasons

That’s exactly what I feel. I’ve been very supportive of Moyes but how he set us up tonight and then stuck with it until we went behind was inexcusable. Total fcvkin ****er. I’d like to keep Pearce though.
Last edited by Harry Hound on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby HammerMan2004 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:26 pm

We all know what will happen. He’ll get a two year deal, we’ll have an average season. The final two months of which will be engulfed in a “will he get a new deal” speculation storm which continue until the end of year two. Then he’ll leave and we’ll do the same thing.
HammerMan2004

Postby hatori on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Arnie, lanzini, chicharito and carrol.

We need a manager who can use all this attacking talent. When did we ever have so many lethal players?

Not in my lifetime
hatori

Postby BubbleBoy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 pm

HammerMan2004 wrote:We all know what will happen. He’ll get a two year deal, we’ll have an average season. The final two months of which will be engulfed in a “will he get a new deal” speculation storm which continue until the end of year two. Then he’ll leave and we’ll do the same thing.

Yep.
BubbleBoy

Postby Diogenes on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 pm

swash wrote:I was coming round to the idea of Moyes staying, but tonight's game fills me with dread of watching that sort of **** for another 2 or 3 seasons

Opinions eh. I didnt think it was **** tonight it all. indeed I thought we played pretty well and I was entertained.
Diogenes

Postby Billydinho on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:46 pm

What? That first half must go down as one of the worst in history.

What did Sky even talk about at half time?
Billydinho

Postby swash on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Billydinho wrote:What? That first half must go down as one of the worst in history.

What did Sky even talk about at half time?

Joe Hart's hair and Shaqiri's belly
swash

Postby Dwight1970 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 pm

Moyes is an old fashioned outdated British manager whose time has passed and if we stick with him so will ours as a Premier League club be it this season or next, those who look to say otherwise or make excuses for him by blaming the board or Bilic then they are really are just letting a failed manager off the hook and are kidding themselves that Moyes will not be a failure here like he has been everywhere since leaving Everton.

Yes the clubs problems go further than Moyes but tonight he was the problem when he decided to treat the 2nd worst club in the Premier League with the same negative tactics that saw Chelsea batter us for 70 minutes and not repeat the attacking approach the squad was shown it is capable of in the first half of the previous home game, such negativity gave the opposition a side with one of the worst defences in the country a foothold in the game that they exploited to get a draw whereas had we played with the same positive approach in the first half that we showed in the last 10 minutes then I have little doubt we would have won comfortably tonight, the likelihood is if Stoke hadn't of scored Carroll would stayed on the bench and the result would have been 0-0.

Looking at this Premier League season the one thing Moyes can take credit for is the performances of Arnautovic but sadly rather than exploiting it in an attacking way he is using it in an almost negative approach which for me is why we remain in a relegation battle now and not up alongside the likes of Newcastle safe from the drop.

The millionaire dollar question is of course who else do we bring in and with our board is anyone half decent going to come here but thinking that still should not mean we as supporters lower our ambitions and expectations that David Moyes is ever the answer but then if we accept Snodgrass is a adequate replacement for Payet or Hugill for Ayew then maybe I am wrong and Moyes is our level.
Dwight1970

Postby e17 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 am

Billydinho wrote:I think he's more Curbishley than he is Allardyce.

The last WHU manager I didn’t renew under. Ironic
e17

Postby hadleighhammer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:13 am

MD_HM wrote:Moyes got the point he wanted... job done

Spot on. Moyes is delighted with tonights work. That is why he has to go. I cant stand another season of his negative depressing *****.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby goa127 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:08 am

hatori wrote:Arnie, lanzini, chicharito and carrol.

We need a manager who can use all this attacking talent. When did we ever have so many lethal players?

Not in my lifetime

Two of those players were just returning from injury. I don't really understand the vitriol directed at Moyes tonight. Yes, we didn't push too much early on, but we played tidy football and controlled the game well. Sometimes it doesn't happen how you'd like, but until Hart gave away a goal we still looked likely winners. Stoke under Lambert have not been easy to beat. They haven't really threatened much but they have become resilient again.
goa127

Postby DevonshireRoad on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:22 am

Not in my lifetime[/quote]
Two of those players were just returning from injury. I don't really understand the vitriol directed at Moyes tonight. Yes, we didn't push too much early on, but we played tidy football and controlled the game well. Sometimes it doesn't happen how you'd like, but until Hart gave away a goal we still looked likely winners. Stoke under Lambert have not been easy to beat. They haven't really threatened much but they have become resilient again.[/quote]

Wow. One of those players returning from injury scored, the other scored one of the disallowed goals. Stoke looked so poor in the first half, they had nothing. A wee bit of pressure seemed to be needed. Instead we allowed them to inevitably bring on Crouch without return...too little too late from Moyes ultimately so this is on him
DevonshireRoad

Postby Beavis Danzig on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:36 am

moyes given credit for arnautovic?

should be the other way round to my mind, he's got a mercurial genius in red hot form, when bilic had one of those he had us playing the best football in the league. moyes just uses his to legitimise his negative punt it downfield and hope for the best tactics and stagger our way to sub 40 points.
Beavis Danzig

Postby Peaches on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:51 am

hatori wrote:Arnie, lanzini, chicharito and carrol.

Not in my lifetime

We need to have a midfield, defence an a goalkeeper who can have enough possession and be defensively sound enough to let us play two or three of them. Also Lanzini and Carroll have to be fit enough to play. Combined they have not been fit enough for even one of them the be on the pitch for the 34 matches we have played.
Peaches

Postby westhamshares on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:34 am

put simply moyes is more scared of losing than he is of winning and he sets up the team on that basis irrespective of who we are playing.

the question is would he set us up like that were we not skirting with relegation - I don't know the answer but I suspect he would - he's another in the curbishley and allardyce mould nd he only makes changes when they are forced upon him.

it quite clear that we have some exciting players going forward (don't include carroll in that - who despite scoring should still be shifted in the summer) but we need a DM; at least 2 defenders and to back Adrian as OUR goalie or get 2 goalkeepers - hart is toast.
westhamshares

Postby miles on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:52 am

Because the last 12 months of Slav's reign was like watching Barcelona eh. Get a grip.
miles
This site...

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion