Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Postby TheHandOfDog on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:49 pm

ClydeBuilt wrote: We are going into our 3rd season at the LS and really need to start the season well and build.

Just think about that statement. We have been building since we came back up and have actually regressed. We are building on GSB quicksand.
TheHandOfDog

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

goa127 wrote:If we were a top championship side we'd be trying to get promotion to the premier league where our first priority would be surviving.

Bloody hell. We've been back in this league for five seasons now. We are behind where we are in our first season back up. More chance of relegation that at any time that season with like then with a rapidly ageing squad in need of a major overhaul. And that's in comparison to the team of Gary O'Neil, Joey O'Brien et al. Lets not even compare ourselves to our side of two years ago. The club has gone backwards - hence presumably your call for us to adopt the same attitude as the likes of Cardiff City. If this truly is our benchmark then MD-HM's first line ^^^ is spot on and we don't even try to blow bubbles to reach the sky.

Whilst not disagreeing that proper investment is needed to progress, money spent is no guarantee of success.

No "guarantee'', but can we agree that money spent increases any club's chances of "success".

Two months later they called in BFS to save them from impending relegation.

As someone just alluded to we called Allardyce in and he told us to **** off. He accepted the job in 2011. Turned it down in 2017. That's how far we've gone backwards.

It's not a question of lowering the bar, the bar is already on the floor.

Who ensured that it was laid there?

If we could raise the bar to a modest height we could get under it and push it up to a decent level.

Why would those who have rinsed the club raise it to a "modest height" now. What's a "decent level"? Is that a new term for the "next level" or is it a more realistic objective than the "next level"? There is no desire from the "we" who could raise the bar to raise the bar.

Enough with the high-jump metaphors!

That bit I agree with. This club is going nowhere fast. I agree with those who say we can't get better than Moyes. Not that I like him or think that he's a good manager because I don't. When he arrived the club said he shared their ambitions. They couldn't have damned him or themselves any more than they inadvertently did.
DaveWHU1964

Postby TheHandOfDog on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Bloody hell. We've been back in this league for five seasons now. We are behind where we are in our first season back up. More chance of relegation that at any time that season with like then with a rapidly ageing squad in need of a major overhaul. And that's in comparison to the team of Gary O'Neil, Joey O'Brien et al. Lets not even compare ourselves to our side of two years ago. The club has gone backwards - hence presumably your call for us to adopt the same attitude as the likes of Cardiff City. If this truly is our benchmark then MD-HM's first line ^^^ is spot on and we don't even try to blow bubbles to reach the sky.

Agreed, I think some posters have forgotten that we were promoted half a decade ago now and the team we had in those first few seasons would give this one a proper go. O well, better add another half a decade of 'building for premier league mid table-no cup runs glory'
TheHandOfDog

Postby Beavis Danzig on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 pm

ClydeBuilt wrote:We are going into our 3rd season at the LS and really need to start the season well and build.

we have to knock it down first.
Beavis Danzig

Postby goa127 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Of course we've regressed, that's why we're worrying about relegation. Football's full of ups and downs, look at Chelsea. What we did or didn't do a few seasons ago doesn't help us in the present. The problem now is the difference in quality between 7th and 19th is only small, whereas the bottom 5 only a few years ago were way adrift of the mid table in terms of quality. In fact mid table hardly exists any more!
goa127

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 pm

goa127 wrote:Of course we've regressed, that's why we're worrying about relegation.
Football's full of ups and downs, look at Chelsea.

You're comparing the ups and downs of Chelsea with ours?

In any case "ups and downs" makes it sound so natural, so pre-ordained - like it's just one of those unavoidable things. Like it's no one's fault or rather that no one is responsible for the apparent deliberate running down of the first team squad to something that at best can hang on to its status albeit in an ageing-by-the-day way.

What we did or didn't do a few seasons ago doesn't help us in the present.

But it does offer the best indication of what we'll do in the future. You say we're on the floor. I agree. We can only move from there to your "modest" or "decent" levels if there is a sea-change in how this club operates. What do you think the chances of that happening are?
DaveWHU1964

Postby MD_HM on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Talk of emulating Burnley but the reality is that they are having a good season as a team, bit like Leicester when they won the league but replace good season with once in a life time.

There isn’t huge quality there and next season they could finish 17th and no one would bat an eyelid.

Like or it not and we “now” are a long way off but the team we should have been trying to emulate is Spurs. As much it hates me to say it and they have got lucky with Kane and Bale for different reasons, they buy young talent and sell them on. They have made decent money on players I’ve barely heard of whilst we buckle and take anything for players, largely as they have been pony and we have stuck them on long contracts.

The January in Bilic’s first season we really had a chance to push on and make the CL and the owners failed to invest, since that point they have failed to invest significantly in every window and sign the right players.... so we have regressed.

But 100% effort, trying to win every game and playing the right way costs nothing.... there is no excuse to serve up dull defensive point counting football for a club of our size.
MD_HM

Postby goa127 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm

I would have thought that given the money Chelsea have spent their fall from champions to out of the champions league places is very comparable. I don't see the 'club of our size ' reference. Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa are all in the Championship. Of course we're underperforming and we all agree the root cause, but since when is that an unusual scenario for west ham?
goa127

Postby MB on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Clucking Bell wrote:
Why, for the love of Christ, would Rafa Benitez want to come to the clusterfuck that is West Ham? .

Because Ashley won’t give him the cheque book. Wise man!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 pm

goa127 wrote:Of course we're underperforming and we all agree the root cause, but since when is that an unusual scenario for west ham?

It's never been unusual in my forty years watching them. Everything else that swirls around this particular "root cause" though does make this absolutely unique and worse than previous times.

I've never expected anything watching West Ham over the years. In forty years going I can count the number of good seasons on no more than two hands and even then I'd probably have a couple of fingers to spare. :) I could have taken another forty years of mediocrity and disappointment if we had still been at a football ground and those who had taken us from it hadn't taken the vast majority of us for utter *****.

Anyway, that's probably for another thread so I'lll butt out now but the mediocrity they can attract / afford is the reason behind this thread and will be the reason behind the next 'this manager's rubbish' one too.
DaveWHU1964

Postby billtho on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Playing the second bottom team at home with one recognised forward
billtho

Postby thejackhammer on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 pm

billtho wrote:Playing the second bottom team at home with one recognised forward

Playing one striker like every other team in the league do. God damn you Moyes.
thejackhammer

Postby MD_HM on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 pm

One striker... well attacking midfielder upfront isn’t the problem

He has no support which is the problem
MD_HM

Postby TheHandOfDog on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Really hope he isn't here next year, we shouldn't be setting up against the worst teams in the league the same way you would at one of the bigger teams. Changes made too late again, he has done his job, I think we are safe but please don't renew this ancient relics contract.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Beavis Danzig on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 pm

surely today's the nail in the coffin for any argument to be made that's he's not just a well mannered allardyce.
Beavis Danzig

Postby Al Fisti on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Even Hart made a horrible mistake, you can blame Moyes much more - am very angry today

WHAT A STUPID LINE-UP!!!!! :twisted:

- brings the same 11 as against Chelsea where we have been very week for 70 minutes
- leave almost all our offensive weapons on the bench in that important game, against a very poor Stoke
- reacted too late again, should have made changes in the break at the latest, we could easily win that
- playing again with that midfield is distraous so we missed a huge chance to be saved from relegation

I really hope for a modern, young manager in summer, who is able to play an offensive orientated football with players like Arni, Lanzini, Chicharito, Carroll or Antonio

That was absolutely embarrassing from David Moyes!!!
Al Fisti

Postby 61dicksey on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 pm

**** off David
61dicksey

Postby Penfold711 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 pm

The only manager that makes Allardyce's teams look positive.
Penfold711

Postby Wilko1304 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 pm

I won’t ever say he’s done a bad job, as we looked a dying mess at one point, but today confirms he is just too scared and stuck in his ways to be the progressive type this club needs.

As it has been for two seasons, we need something fresh and exciting to help every part of the club flourish. The players, the signings, the fans and even the stadium. Dave ain’t that. So whilst I’m not screaming f*** off, I’d just shake his hand and let him go on his way.
Wilko1304

Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 pm

As I said in the match thread. THanks David for your effort, hard work and honesty but please find another job in the summer
Crouchend_Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion