Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: David Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Postby hammer1975 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Do wonder if the nature of our recruitment (big money on attacking players but less investment on anyone defensive) has led to a squad which lends itself to the more pragmatic type manager such as Allardyce or Moyes.
hammer1975

Postby the celestial insect on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I think Moyes learned a lot from the Sunderland experience, not least the media difficulties and how he presents himself publically.

I had no problem with Sam being blunt and honest, but his unwillingness to try to understand the fans' frustrations meant that he'd never be fully accepted.
the celestial insect

Postby Peaches on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 pm

I am a fan of Bilic, and think he was totally done over by the board. I was not in favour of sacking Bilic, and after that I did not want Moyes.
Moyes has won me over. The circumstances he is working under are as bad if not worse than what Slav had to deal with and he has impressed me. We are looking fitter, for the most part more solid, and he has been brave enough to pick players on merit not reputation. I hope we continue to move up the table and we give him and his back room staff proper contracts and the budget to build his squad the right way.
Peaches

Postby e-20 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 pm

One big difference between the two is that Moyes says he is still not happy with the way the team is playing and that he wants them to play more like Spurs or Chelsea as and when he can get the quality of players to actually do it. Whatever the difference in style between them somehow I really can't imagine Big Sam talking in such terms... Even if he secretly wished it today.
e-20

Postby Ding on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:29 pm

Pentonville wrote: I also wouldn't get drawn into what is fast becoming the myth that so how Slav wanted to be the players 'friend' while Moyes is the dour Scot whose only companion is his dog and a glass of whiskey. Both are stereotypes.

Stereotypes or not, there is certainly a real difference to how both managers handle players. I remember how Bilic used to blow smoke up Payet’s ass in the media regardless of the impact on team dynamics. Contrast that with what Moyes is saying about Arnie now (“He’s done well. He needs to continue to work hard. He is talented but he needs to keep running”). In fact, can you imagine Bilic dropping players because “if you don’t run you don’t play”? I can’t, and he did not. Moyes on the other hand has demonstrated an ability to out-tough recalcitrant players or drop out of form ones regardless of reputation. I’d wager that Hernandez is not making the team for “effort” and fitness reasons, and Kouyate’s better performance today was a response to the real threat of being dropped and replaced by an 18 year old. Could you see Bilic dropping Hart? Hell, he couldn’t get himself to drop a badly out of form Randall.

I like Bilic. But he never did have the steel for this.
Ding

Postby Rays Rock on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:37 pm

whizzer wrote:"Moyes, next level" really!!! :lol:

He is just Sam (tactically) with Marty Feldman eyes and there were an awful lot on here that didn't want Sam here.
Sam has moved on to a bigger club with a proper board and bigger resources, he has left us behind - Good luck to him.

Under this lot we will always be a mediocre team with no ambition, I personally don't get the sudden "love in" based on the fact that we have played well enough to probably finish 14th\15th.
COYI.

Nothing like Allardyce. Allardyce would have more than likely,and very often did settle for the point and would have done so at half time today.
Moyes always has been more versatile in tactic and strategy which is why he has been named manager of the season on more than one occasion. He has also achieved several high points tally on very average budgets.
Yes, Moyes failed at Man Utd in relative terms. Allardyce wouldn't have even got an interview at Man Utd.
Rays Rock

Postby the celestial insect on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 pm

It's also hard to say how much Moyes's backroom team have contributed to the upturn. Some very highly regarded coaches among them with managerial experience themselves. I'm no expert, but I can't remember us having as high-profile a group of coaches and assistants before. Not taking anything away from Moyes -- just saying that it's probably a team effort.
the celestial insect

Postby samanthadog on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Will do well to retain his services beyond the end of the season.
samanthadog

Postby 61dicksey on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 pm

I am more impressed with the way he answers questions , no hint of this is all me, far from it , recognises hard work from all the footballing staff. :thup:
Realistic as well.
61dicksey

Postby hammers92 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 pm

samanthadog wrote:Will do well to retain his services beyond the end of the season.

We’re his last job in the Premier League, whether that be until the end of the season or for the next 5 years
hammers92

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:57 pm

It’d be nice to think we could have a manager for 5 years. Would suggest some success and stability.
DasNutNock

Postby samanthadog on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 am

[quote="hammers92"][quote="samanthadog"]Will do well to retain his services beyond the end of the season.[/quote]

We’re his last job in the Premier League, whether that be until the end of the season or for the next 5 years[/quote]

Not so sure about that.
But with the right financial backing who knows what could be achieved in 5 years with him in charge. And there's the problem - the 'right financial backing'.
samanthadog

Postby Jumby on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 am

He has the tools to do a decent job here because he's using those tools correctly. As much as I loved Bilic, he seemed like he was using a screwdriver handle to hammer a nail in.
Jumby

Postby SRXT on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 am

Jumby wrote:He has the tools to do a decent job here because he's using those tools correctly. As much as I loved Bilic, he seemed like he was using a screwdriver handle to hammer a nail in.

Pretty much.
SRXT

Postby hamstas_paradise on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 am

61dicksey wrote:I am more impressed with the way he answers questions , no hint of this is all me, far from it , recognises hard work from all the footballing staff. :thup:
Realistic as well.

Agreed. Allardyce wasn't blunt and honest like an earlier poster suggested, he was all me, me, me. I really disliked his ego, although he knows how to fix broken teams. It's terrible how he got the credit for Everton's turn of fortune. They walloped us only on the day he signed and beat someone else a few days later. How can he be credited with that, apart from the usual new manager bounce. I think we can actually see the difference Moyes and his team have made. It amuses me to think of Stuart Pearce glowering and getting in the faces of individuals like Hernadez and Sakho and maybe even Arnie at the outset. Psycho is a proper legend.
hamstas_paradise

Postby Cardiff here we come..... on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:10 am

I have a special formula whether Moyes contract should be extended to next season & beyond:

-8/9th place finish: 4 year contract
-10/11th place finish: 3 year contract
-12/13th place finish: 2 year contract
-14/15th place finish: 1 year rolling contract

-16th/20th place finish: We tell the Northern sl*g to f**k off back Up North the boring old t*sser :wink:

On a serious note. Moyes & his backroom staff have done an incredible job.

Hats Off.
Cardiff here we come.....

Postby Clucking Bell on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:10 am

I think Moyes would be the first to admit it's a team effort and he spends most of the game in discussion with Pearce and McKinley and, presumably Irvine is up in the stands.

What's impressing me at the moment is that he seems to be learning and not making the same mistakes over and over again. He's identified the players that he can rely on and build a team around and he's chosen a system that plays to their strengths. I think he's also managing his resources as well as he can: I'd imagine that his best eleven includes Adrian, Ogbonna, Lanzini, Masuaku and Arnautovic. He then wants leaders so he picks Ginge, Zabaleta and Noble. It's then a matter of picking the best of the followers i.e. those who are decent players if someone is setting an example or telling them what to do but, bloody awful if there isn't anyone like that on the pitch.

Like most of us who voted in the Moyes vs Pardew poll, I picked Pardew. Mostly because I thought that he'd get us turned around in the shortest time even though I also thought that we'd be looking for someone else by the end of the season. I'm really pleased that I was wrong.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby Vienna on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 am

Difference between Allardyce and Moyes is that Moyes tries to win away games.
Vienna

Postby Westferry Iron on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 am

hamstas_paradise wrote:... It's terrible how he got the credit for Everton's turn of fortune. They walloped us only on the day he signed and beat someone else a few days later. How can he be credited with that, apart from the usual new manager bounce..

Spot on, his bounce was basically us and Huddersfield (down to Unsworth shirley), Newcastle and Swansea. Once he got to know the team and stamp his authority it's all gone very predictable...or not boring enough anyhow.

I was very impressed with how Moyes handled our tough run of fixtures but said I'd wait until he showed some intent with those around us. Well, today was a damn good start and I'm happy with that, please keep it up Moyes & co. :thup:

I really hope we turn up on Tuesday, this team is good enough for a Cup run.
Westferry Iron

Postby Cardiff here we come..... on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:20 am

If we secure the 40 points by the end of March, I hope Moyes concentrates on two things.

1/ Throw everything at the FA Cup & try and win the thing.

2/ Give the West Ham Kids more game time & see if any have true potential to be in the team/squad for season 2018/19. That will save us plenty of ££££ in the summer in terms of player recruitment. If our own youth are good enough then we don't need to buy.

I wouldn't worry about trying to qualify for a UEFA Cup place. Don't need some BS qualifying rounds in June to mess about with. We have a full summer of training, player recruitment early in June & we go again, fresh for season 18/19.

Another poster mentioned it. Seriously, we could do a Leicester City next season. We will be everyone's outside bet. We have the nucleus of a squad & a Management 'Team' to get our club really moving.

The Hope is Back. :thup:
Cardiff here we come.....

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion