Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: David Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Postby Adam 'The Smudge' on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:48 pm

People won't take to Moyes because they don't see him as "West Ham" in much the same way that Allardyce failed to comprehend what the " West Ham way" actually was. Pardew claimed he did and people thought Bilic knew too. Both Pardew and Bilic were too close to the players.
Football has moved on and the "West Ham way" and "The Academy of Football" is simply historical reference and no more.
Proof of the pudding is in the eating not what it appears to be in the packet.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Gsbgsb wrote:just watched the BBC interview, seems very sensible, explains why we only had 6 on the bench in a logical fashion and does not take the bait re numbers. I must admit he is growing on me as the manager.

This is the most surprising thing for me abut Moyes. He really seems like a decent bloke. Always got the impression he was a dour moany, whingy old git, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

I really enjoy his interviews. Last week he said Lanzini wasn't a foul and this week no whining, just plays a straight bat.

The difference vs **** Allardyce in that respect is extreme
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby stu1 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Can people please stop suggesting Moyes is anywhere near as dislikeable as Allardyce.

Yes both are old school and tell it how it is but that’s where the similarities stop.

Allardyce is far more arrogant as shown by the vast difference in attitude towards us fans at the start of their respective tenures. Allardyce mocked us regularly, where as Moyes hasn’t criticised us once and often goes out of his way to praise our support.

Moyes may be a bit dour, but he’s far less of a **** than Allardyce.
Last edited by stu1 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stu1

Postby Gerblatz on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:56 pm

whizzer wrote:He is just Sam (tactically) with Marty Feldman eyes and there were an awful lot on here that didn't want Sam here.
Sam has moved on to a bigger club with a proper board and bigger resources, he has left us behind - Good luck to him.

:lol: Yeah so much ahead is Sam of Moyes that his bigger club with better resources got slaughtered by Spurs today...what a genius eh?

Moyes is a cut above Allardyce, have no doubts about that. The job he has done and I’m glad to say, I was confident he could do from his appointment - has started to really emerge.
Gerblatz

Postby whizzer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: The difference vs **** Allardyce in that respect is extreme

Not sure what the **** bit is about Sam is, just your opinion I suppose which is 180 degrees from mine.
I believe that Sam has progressed, while we have regressed. Is there a winner, not sure? However there is a fag paper between the pair of them and yet Moyes is the messiah :lol:
whizzer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:06 pm

stu1 wrote:Can people please stop suggesting Moyes is anywhere near as dislikeable as Allardyce.

Yes both are old school and tell it how it is but that’s where the similarities stop.

Allardyce is far more arrogant as shown by the vast difference in attitude towards us fans at the start of their respective tenures. Allardyce mocked us regularly, where as Moyes hasn’t criticised us once and often goes out of his way to praise our support.

Moyes may be a bit dour, but he’s far less of a **** than Allardyce.

Spot on. Regardleas of his football philosophy, No one in football is as big a **** as Allardyce.
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Georgee Paris on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 pm

We are looking far better under Moyes than we ever did with Sam. Still not up to Bilics last season at the Boleyn but moving in the right direction. We are looking a bit Everton / West Ham. Wouldn’t be fair to say we look anything like his Manchester or Sunderland sides. I’m totally happy to admit he has 100% proved me wrong and I’m really happy to admit it.
Georgee Paris

Postby Harry Hound on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 pm

We'll finish above Everton and when we do it will no doubt be just as satisfying for Moyes as it will be for us.
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 pm

whizzer wrote:
Not sure what the **** bit is about Sam is, just your opinion I suppose which is 180 degrees from mine.
I believe that Sam has progressed, while we have regressed. Is there a winner, not sure? However there is a fag paper between the pair of them and yet Moyes is the messiah :lol:

I am talking about their personalities and their likability. Not their managerial abilities.

Allardyce was an arrogant, hateful prick. Moyes seems like a decent bloke.

Nothing will ever be as bad as having Allardyce as out manager. Nothing
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Georgee Paris on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:15 pm

This run we are on... if it continues into next season we could do a Leicester.
Georgee Paris

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Harry Hound wrote:We'll finish above Everton and when we do it will no doubt be just as satisfying for Moyes as it will be for us.

I know a few Evertonians that would have him back right now.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby PF. on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Georgee Paris wrote:We are looking far better under Moyes than we ever did with Sam.

Nothing against Moyes, and never was/will be a Sam fan...but that's some statement.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby goa127 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Until the oaf was manager we were everybodys 'second club'. Once he came in we became the team to hate. The only thing I ever agreed with Alladyce on was his comment about the west ham way. Playing crap and losing isn't a style statement. Younger guests won't remember the bad old days of every team except West Ham and Man u playing defensive dreary football. We used to give it a go when everybody else would just try not to lose. The passback law changed all that. Everyone wants to win these days. Getting stuffed at home to Brighton, yes BRIGHTON is not the west ham way it's just embarrassing. So yes David Moyes keep going
goa127

Postby Irrons on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Georgee Paris wrote:This run we are on... if it continues into next season we could do a Leicester.

:lol: Behave
Irrons

Postby Georgee Paris on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:24 pm

PF. wrote:
Nothing against Moyes, and never was/will be a Sam fan...but that's some statement.

We only just made it out of the championship playing very workmanlike football. We never played anyone off the pitch. We were boring to watch.
Georgee Paris

Postby westlondonhammer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 pm

From here until the end of the season he will be assessing us as much as us him

My feeling is he wont get a bigger club than us...maybe a bit more money but not bigger

Hopefully at the end of the season he'll be happy and we can start building some long term stability

Tight and not being embarrassed by the big clubs and then a more expansive game against the teams around us sounds good to me
westlondonhammer

Postby miles on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Good 'ol Gollum. I think we will win the FA Cup. :scarfer:
miles
This site...

Postby TommyHammer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm

Just goes to show how bad Sunderland were. The ‘Moyes of Sunderland’ ? Do me a favour. What a bloke.
TommyHammer

Postby Harry Hound on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:43 pm

miles wrote:Good 'ol Gollum. I think we will win the FA Cup. :scarfer:

I hope so I've got £50 at 33-1
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby Pentonville on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Ding wrote:
We were a shambles for a large part (and certainly towards the end ) of Bilic’s time here. Moyes has done an incredible job so far with the same squad. A huge part of that is precisely because he doesn’t do his job as though he is trying to win a popularity contest. I like that about him.

Well done David.

Yes and No. Moyes has clearly done a excellent job in the last 8 games, and has proven that he is still a good manager. And i for one (actually a lot of us have admitted this on this thread) put my hand up to say i was wrong. That's not to say that all of us who where sceptical about his appointment did not have a decent basis for being sceptical about his ability achieve something for this club. However, give Slav due respect. His contribution over three seasons cannot be reasonably described as a 'shambles'. I'm sure everyone here will savour that last season at the Boleyn. Last season was not that bad, not that good; in other words typical West Ham (but in the context of moving to the OS etc, more not that bad actually). This season obviously no so good, but was that down to Slav's tactical acumen or the lack of players who can play the counter-attacking approach he favoured? I also wouldn't get drawn into what is fast becoming the myth that so how Slav wanted to be the players 'friend' while Moyes is the dour Scot whose only companion is his dog and a glass of whiskey. Both are stereotypes.
Pentonville

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion