David Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: David Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Postby Pango on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:43 pm

I also think the 'Bradley's Fight' scenario probably drained the Sunderland squad in the end too. It cannot of helped. Very difficult and sensitive time for everyone involved.

Add that into Moyes arriving 3 weeks after pre season started which 99.99% of people (not CNR) would agree was a massive hindrance bearing in mind they only had a dozen first team players left in the squad.

I'm prepared to dismiss the Sunderland debacle for Moyes and give him a clean slate to start with here.

:crest:
Pango

Postby tizzwoz on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm

I was as horrified when they appointed Moyes as everybody else. I felt that a new manager should bring with them hope and sense of optimism which breeds throughout the whole club, to the players, the fans, everyone. Whether Moyes is a good manager or not is almost a secondary thought... The fact is, initially, the majority of reaction was negative... exactly the opposite to what we needed.

Now, that said. Like every good football fan, the dust has settled, his initial media quotes have left me (dare i say) optimistic, almost perversely interested. I dont like the guy, I cant see that changing, but I dont care. The harsh reality for Moyes is that he has 3 games to get this right. THREE GAMES!!! Why 3 games? Watford, Leicester, Everton...
1. Because if fans see the same old dross playing out... bad football, bad results etc the crowd will turn ugly very early.
2. Our December fixture list is appalling. Its fair to say that once you start opening your advent calender we might not get another point until you've eaten all the chocolate.

Is it right that Moyes has so little time to get it right? Is it fair to expect after just 10 days in charge that we'll suddenly play better... be fitter? Absolutely not. No other manager in any other job would be judged after just 3 games... But he will. And he knows it.
tizzwoz

Postby mushy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:46 pm

MD_HM wrote:Sullivan Twitter mouthpieces saying he did it before he come in but who knows...

The problem we have now is it’s hard to trust a word that comes from the club (Sullivan) after all the continuous lying.

Too bloody true.
The other thing is, if he did do it prior to Moyes arriving, how come those ITK Twitter types (who apparently are so close to the club they have access to our changing rooms after games) not know about it?
They drip feed information as and when it suits them.
mushy

Postby StackerJJ on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 pm

mushy wrote:Too bloody true.
The other thing is, if he did do it prior to Moyes arriving, how come those ITK Twitter types (who apparently are so close to the club they have access to our changing rooms after games) not know about it?
They drip feed information as and when it suits them.

The other thing is, why does it matter when he did his hamstring and why is this "ITK" (sullivans mate) making a thing about when it was done. Its not important, is he saying it to try and deflect our injury situation to Bilic too, even though we've had injury issues forever due to our piece of crap training facilities which they wont spend money on..
These ITK's Sullivan tells what to write are there to redirect finger pointers off the board and scapegoat something else. Its so transparent its laughable. This Ex guy was constantly "supporting" bilic along the lines of I like him BUT, there was always a but and always some negativity sent his way. His views are becoming more and more biased a la C&H its in true. I guess if the club are funding his endeavours then he has to do what they say.
StackerJJ

Postby Westbourne Bill on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm

8 wins and a handful of draws...thats all he needs to deliver in the rest of the season. With the top 6 especially Man City being so dominant, I doubt anywhere near 40 points will be needed to stay up this season. 5 points from our next 6 games would still be ok at this stage IMO.
Westbourne Bill

Postby Patito on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 pm

Westbourne Bill wrote:5 points from our next 6 games would still be ok at this stage IMO.

I'd be happy with that looking at who we are playing.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby ballantine on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Colours never run wrote:Coincidence, or something that happens when you're suddenly asked to train with the seniors doing double sessions? Get well soon, son.

Is your goal to be so "out there" with your attacks on Moyes that anyone else critical of him will be forced into a more accepting position, just to distance themselves from the ramblings? If so, you're doing a good job...

I feel sad and alienated after Bilic' departure, and I think Moyes is about the worst appointment they could have made. So far, the only positive thoughts I've had about Moyes, are after reading some of your posts. "Oh no, he's not THAT bad", i say to myself. "Oh, come on! Give the bloke a chance, at least!"
ballantine

Postby Exiledin cardiff on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:07 pm

I don't like Moyes and thought him the easy option for the board. They were never going to appoint a powerful manager, who wouldn't bend to their will.
If it all goes pear shaped I can gloat and say I told you so, however if he turns it around and we come on, and improvements made I will gladly say I was wrong.
We as supporters have to give him a chance, isn't that what we like a Trier.
Exiledin cardiff

Postby Colours never run on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Ballantine

I'll think what I like about the situation and I'll continue to allow you to think what you like. Why it bothers you so much on an internet forum is beyond me.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Exiledin cardiff on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm

CNR are you sure you ain't got Sullivans genes you sound awfully like him it's all got to be about you. You made it clear you don't like Moyes. Leave it there.
Exiledin cardiff

Postby Colours never run on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Exiledin cardiff wrote:I don't like Moyes and thought him the easy option for the board. They were never going to appoint a powerful manager, who wouldn't bend to their will.

Exactly right. Further more I've even predicted from the start that I expect Moyes to keep us up as I believe the squad shouldn't be going down from this position, just as I believe we wouldn't under Bilic. What I fear most is the type of football and results we'll be playing in the short and long term under him and how we go about recruitment. The signs during the past 4 seasons or so don't fill me with confidence in him, so it's not like it isn't based on evidence.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Colours never run on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Exiledin cardiff wrote:CNR are you sure you ain't got Sullivans genes you sound awfully like him it's all got to be about you. You made it clear you don't like Moyes. Leave it there.

Yes I'm him, payroll etc. :asleep:
Colours never run

Postby Humbug on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 pm

I think we will see an improvement in the fitness and 'team play' in the next few games . Only because I think Moyes seems more 'hands on' than Bilic . Not saying that Slav didn't want to get more involved and closer to the team during specific training but because his hips were shot to pieces. I suspect he had to leave specific 'one-on-one' type training on the grass to his coaching staff (wonder if they knew English or needed an interpretor following them around).
Humbug

Postby Gsbgsb on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Colours never run wrote:Exactly right. Further more I've even predicted from the start that I expect Moyes to keep us up as I believe the squad shouldn't be going down from this position, just as I believe we wouldn't under Bilic. What I fear most is the type of football and results we'll be playing in the short and long term under him and how we go about recruitment. The signs during the past 4 seasons or so don't fill me with confidence in him, so it's not like it isn't based on evidence.

I presume by type of football you mean we will not be playing the open attacking football that reflects the oft quoted “West Ham way”

Please tell me in which of the 11 league games under Bilic this season we have played this way for more than possibly 10 minutes?

I did not want Moyes but we were bottom 3 under Bilic with no sign of things getting better, for my part I do not think he would have got us out the mess. A change needed to be made, wins need to be secured, they selected Moyes and I am prepared to give him a chance to show what he can do as opposed to act like somebody who has had his favourite toy taken from them.
Gsbgsb

Postby Ribbot on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Moyes should do the job but i wish i could fast forward 12 weeks i dont think ive been this nervous due to a manager since Macari.
Ribbot

Postby MB on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:40 pm

Moyes or no manager ala Everton?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby Colours never run on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Palace, Spurs x2, Bolton, Cheltenham, Huddersfield, Southampton as you ask. Games very much in the 'West Ham Way' of playing for good and bad but mostly trying to attack.

I'm so ****ed off because of people like you GSB wanted Bilic out when it wasn't critical to do so and not did I like the way they went about it.

Moyes will get credit where it's due as the season goes on and have no problem praising him when he does well but I'm not going to listen to people telling what I should make of it just because they got what you wanted.
Colours never run

Postby MB on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Come on CNR...even Arnie looked good against Bolton so I'm not sure that counts...
MB

Postby Colours never run on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Last time I checked it was a competitive fixture and a potential banana skin at that.
Colours never run

Postby MB on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Colours never run wrote:Last time I checked it was a competitive fixture and a potential banana skin at that.

Ok, you have to be on a wind up.
MB

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion