David Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: David Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Postby Burnley Hammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:00 pm

I don't think Moyes is unreasonably negative, and I'm not looking at his Sunderland tenure as typical of him. He look to have a solid base first, and may look to sort out the defence before he looks to the attack - but isn't that what's needed at the moment? More structure and a better shape? Not having holes in defence everywhere you look? I think the appointment of Irvine is being overlooked by many. The correct assistant can make a hell of a difference in a managers success, and we happen to have the one that worked with him at everton and preston. I'm sure I read somewhere that he wasnt even allowed to choose his own backroom team at Sunderland, although I'm not sure if that's true or not. But anyway, what Moyes is, is a pragmatist, and that's probably what we need at this moment in time. Benitez is also a pragmatist but I don't recall this many people up in arms when he was tipped to get the job. With a team that looks as unfit, unmotivated, and unstructured as ours has done for the majority of this season, he may well be the right person for the job, at least in the short term. It's easy to say that he was crap at Sunderland therefore he'll be crap here. Another more positive way of looking at it is we have a manager with something to prove, who had 10 successful years as manager of Everton - a team that were always hard to beat and never a pushover, and who has back with him his assistant who was a part of his successful years. Let's just give him some bleeding games first before we beat him with a stick anymore. If you really feel the need to beat someone with a stick, there's a Gold & Sullivan thread nearby that needs your attention.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Colours never run on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Oh ok mistake, it was 1 of those phantom games that don't count.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Iron-worx on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:46 pm

My main priority was Bilic had to go for the common good and take the brotherhood with him, so my second priority was what he / they were replaced by.

Moyes wouldn't have been my first choice but neither would he have been my last so when he was appointed to my way of thinking it could have been better and it could have been worse.

Happy to trade him for Bilic seeing as I had no say in it, if I had a straight choice of Bilic or Moyes then it would be Moyes every time.

I see Alan Irvine and Stuart Pearce as definite upgrades on the brotherhood, and I don't know enough about Billy McKinley to comment.

So all in all I'll settle for as is and it's telling that I'm actually looking forward to the Watford game without a sense of apprehension that I had prior to games from not long after the start of last season to the last game.

I'm feeling much better for the clearout and changearound.
Iron-worx

Postby jacko on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Mate, knock it off with the brotherhood stuff it's childish and meaningless. TO talk about it as if you have any method of comparing the two backroom staffs is just silly.
jacko

Postby delbert on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Any chance of changing the picture of Moyes on the home page? He looks like a mass murdering walnut.....
delbert

Postby hadleighhammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Don't nearly all manager's bring in their own trusted "brotherhood" of backroom staff? Certainly the wonderful Oaf did/does and people like Ironworx were not complaining then.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby Metal Hammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Once Iron-Worx has a theory he won't let it drop, it's the mad scientist in him. Still, his posts aren't as annoying as CNR's toys out of pram posts :lol:
Metal Hammer

Postby irving boleyn on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 pm

In Moyes' ten complete seasons with Everton he acquired about 550 points.

During a similar period (adjusted to allow for our Championship sojourns) we got around 450.

That is a big enough sample to be meaningful,I suggest.

I dont recall him being a Route One merchant....

Whats not to like ? ,Except his Boat,of course.
irving boleyn

Postby Iron-worx on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:41 pm

jacko wrote:Mate, knock it off with the brotherhood stuff it's childish and meaningless. TO talk about it as if you have any method of comparing the two backroom staffs is just silly.

Bilic, Jurcevic, Terzic and Raz come as a management team and they leave as a management team. Call that what you will but I think that a brotherhood is as good a name for it as any so that's the name I'll use until such time as I hear something better.

Moyes, Irvine, Woods and McKinley also work as a team, but Pearce isn't part of it, so we are not comparing like with like.

That difference is a method of comparing the two backroom staffs, they can be compared in that way and there's a fundamental difference.
Iron-worx

Postby Samba on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:44 pm

irving boleyn wrote:
Whats not to like ? ,Except his Boat,of course.

Heeeeeere's Moyesy!
Samba

Postby bristolhammerfc on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm

And yet again Iron Worx you have been asked to stop posting with reference to Bilic on this thread and any other not directly a Bilic thread.

This is my last time of asking politely
bristolhammerfc

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:13 am

Will the real David Moyes please step forward?
http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=4051
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:02 am

Iron-worx wrote:
Bilic, Jurcevic, Terzic and Raz come as a management team and they leave as a management team. Call that what you will but I think that a brotherhood is as good a name for it as any so that's the name I'll use until such time as I hear something better.

Croats v. Jocks?
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby Boooogers! on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:50 am

I've been impressed with what I've seen/heard of Moyes so far.

Seems to be an upgrade on Bilic.
Boooogers!

Postby swash on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:00 am

Up the Junction wrote:Will the real David Moyes please step forward?
http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=4051

Great article that from Mr Walker
swash

Postby MB on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:04 am

swash wrote:
Great article that from Mr Walker

Was just about to post the same thing!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby jacko on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:08 am

It's an interesting article, but is a bit soft on him for his failures. But who knows what will happen. I'll be glad when we start playing again.
jacko

Postby thejackhammer on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 am

I’ll be glad when we’re back playing, but I do not envy the mods after Sunday, this place will be a nightmare regardless of result.
thejackhammer

Postby claretandblue82 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 am

Metal Hammer wrote:Once Iron-Worx has a theory he won't let it drop, it's the mad scientist in him. Still, his posts aren't as annoying as CNR's toys out of pram posts :lol:

The foe option is a god send!
claretandblue82

Postby Lilyhammer on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 am

So far so good, lots of positive comments coming from the players, he may not of been everyone's choice including mine, but he's got people around him that he trusts maybe just maybe he could actually turn us into a decent side and not the laughing stock we have become to all the other fans!
Lilyhammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion