Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: David Moyes appointed West Ham United manager

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 am

Hernandez is the sort of player we should have got to convince Payet we were serious. Sully wanted him before Bilic got here and by the time the deal was done he was a cherry on the cake player at a club that needed flour and eggs.

Was chuffed we got him but it wont be a massive shock if it doesn't work out.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby Hammer in Hornchurch on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 am

You could play Messi up front and Ramos in defence and we’d still leak in 3 goals.
Unless Moyes can sort out the centre of midfield nothing will change with the results, teams just walk through.
Hammer in Hornchurch

Postby Patito on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:49 am

Colours never run wrote:Scores 1 in 3 the minute he arrived and has done everything asked of him like playing out of his preferred position the majority of the time for the sake of the Team and all the while with limited service. The only time he's looked upset is when he's been subbed and understandably so when he's not been our biggest problem and he's our most likely goal scorer. A lot of nonsense said about Hernandez who has been nothing but good for WHU both on and off the field and went out of his way to say he's not unhappy in general to be here.

We have a lot of issues currently at West Ham, but **** me Hernandez definitely ain't one of them and I for one would be gutted and angry should he leave anytime soon.

Agree with every word. I don't think he's leaving though, just sh*t stirring from a Mexican journo.
Patito

Postby MD_HM on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:06 am

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:Hernandez is the sort of player we should have got to convince Payet we were serious.

100% correct

Wonder if Carvalho was the player we told Hernandez we wanted to make him think we were serious :D
MD_HM

Postby steps on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:09 am

MB wrote:[

Defoe got 15 league goals last season and was (near) universally praised for his performance. :eh:

5 of those were penalties.

So 10 from open play in 38 games.

Not bad, but his goals failed to keep them up.

Hernandez has already got 4 in 11 played.
steps

Postby MD_HM on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 am

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote:You could play Messi up front and Ramos in defence and we’d still leak in 3 goals.
Unless Moyes can sort out the centre of midfield nothing will change with the results, teams just walk through.

Exactly that, we have some decent defenders and a decent striker

Our biggest two problems in my view are in the midfield

CM - Kouyate, Noble, Obiang and Fernandes haven’t been good enough and can’t keep possession... maybe that’s why Bilic wanted a DM

The wingers - again can’t keep possession and rarely appear to run at the opposition which as above just creates additional pressure at the back

Recruitment plays a big part as we haven’t been buying players to fit what we have or how we want to play.

I think Moyes will stop us leaking goals as we will be set up much more defensively, imagine it’s going to be similar to when Sam was here - everyone defend and don’t lose, hoping to nick a 1-0 or 1-1, if we can emulate West Brom then we should be fine.
MD_HM

Postby claretandblue82 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am

I can't see the rest of the season being pretty. But the aim is to keep us up and once that has been done then we will see what happens in the summer!
claretandblue82

Postby MB on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 am

steps wrote:5 of those were penalties.

So 10 from open play in 38 games.

Not bad, but his goals failed to keep them up.

Hernandez has already got 4 in 11 played.

I don’t understand your point now. You initially said Moyes failed to get the best out of him and now you are measuring that as he couldn’t get Defoe to single handedly keep them up?

He scored exactly the same number of league goals under Moyes as he did under Allardyce and was also praised for his ability to lead the line of a generally poor team. He was the one player who did perform consistently under Moyes even in a lone striker role. The fact he couldn’t single handedly keep them up isn’t relevant.

Yes Hernandez has four goals but has he impressed you in the lone striker role which is how this debate started?

Moyes has shown he can play with a short striker in a lone role, but I have not seen Hernandez impress in that role for us. Bilic clearly had his doubts.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby StackerJJ on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 am

I think what some people are missing here it that most players can play wherever they are asked (within reason) and Hernandez is no different. He can play up top as a lone striker IF THE MANAGER SETS UP TO PLAY TO HIS STRENGTHS........... When we have seen Hernandez up top alone we have been smashing balls up to him, what do we imagine is gonna happen? If he plays up top alone and we work the balls into space for him to run into which set up do you think suits him better? Its so obvious its frightening. The questions is not where he plays, the question is how the team is set up.. if we are going to hoof it then its pointless having him up top alone. If we are going to work the ball into spaces then of course he can do it. Its not him its the team set up. Hernandez has some of the best movement in the PL and if the ball is played into his path he will score. The issue is far from him the issue is the way we've been playing. I hope moyes sorts than out, he will for sure be 15 PL goals this season.
StackerJJ

Postby Patito on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:21 pm

StackerJJ wrote:The questions is not where he plays, the question is how the team is set up....... Hernandez has some of the best movement in the PL and if the ball is played into his path he will score.

Bingo
Patito

Postby bobd_uk on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 pm

MB wrote:He was the one player who did perform consistently under Moyes even in a lone striker role.

He only scored 1 goal in their last 13 matches of the season. Hardly finished well at the exact point that they really needed him.
bobd_uk

Postby Patito on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:47 pm

bobd_uk wrote:He only scored 1 goal in their last 13 matches of the season. Hardly finished well at the exact point that they really needed him.

He must have got 14 goals in his first 20 league games then which is effective imo. As well as a hat trick in the league cup.
Last edited by Patito on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patito

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:07 pm

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:Hernandez is the sort of player we should have got to convince Payet we were serious. Sully wanted him before Bilic got here and by the time the deal was done he was a cherry on the cake player at a club that needed flour and eggs.

Was chuffed we got him but it wont be a massive shock if it doesn't work out.

Spot on Sammy.

Hernandez or similar a year ago and it would certainly have given us a much better chance of keeping Payet. And Payet would feed Hernandez so much better than anyone else we currently have. It's a shame their times/ time here didn't coincide - they'd have helped keep each other happy/ us more successful/ and attracted better players to us in the process.

I have no idea if the Hernandez stuff is true. My guess would be that it is - I don't think he's looked a happy bunny here after the first few weeks. If fairly or unfairly Moyes appointment has led to him being more likely to go then so be it.

But if it is true then I just hope that any spin about him wanting out/ disrespecting the fans, club etc is taken with a huge pinch of salt and is therefore the exact opposite of what happened with Payet. Not that that is an excuse for Payet's extremely poor, unprofessional behaviour but at the end of the day he clearly wanted out because we did not meet his expectations or ambitions (Zaza and Calleri were absolutely no sign of intent and no replacement for a Bacca, Lacazette or Hernandez). And Snodders and Arnie are no replacement for a Payet.
DaveWHU1964

Postby Rays Rock on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:10 pm

We’ve had a succession of strikers at the club now for maybe over a decade of which none have even got close to “banging them in” for a at least a season or two.

We now have a striker who i think everyone would at least agree knows where the back of the net is, yet it looks like we are going to have the same situation as the last ten years i.e. a striker not flourishing !
We don’t seem to have a distinctive pattern of play that allows strikers to benefit or threaten defences other than by force (Carroll on his day). We really don’t have a tactical creative identity.
We generally lack and have lacked the few talented players and money needed (payet & lanzini apart) to provide provide this to the team. In all honesty, to get this kind of player to guarantee that level of craft and performance consistently you have to find £45 mill +.
Rays Rock

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm

MD_HM wrote:Wonder if Carvalho was the player we told Hernandez we wanted to make him think we were serious :D

I've just posted on these lines. Really wouldn't surprise me MD.

Payet signed a new contract - at the time noises were Bacca, Lacazette, i.e. top quality. When that didn't transpire he was off. A Carvalho would have given Hernandez, who lets face it is a cut above our club, that push to sign for us due to increased hope our talks of ambition were genuine. I wonder too if it would also have in a selfish way made him think that we're going to play very attack minded, which of course would suit him just fine, as we wouldn't need so many defensive players with such a strong one as Carvalho around.

Feels like history repeating itself. Really, really hope to be wrong about that.
DaveWHU1964

Postby steps on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 pm

MB wrote:He scored exactly the same number of league goals under Moyes as he did under Allardyce and was also praised for his ability to lead the line of a generally poor team. He was the one player who did perform consistently under Moyes even in a lone striker role. The fact he couldn’t single handedly keep them up isn’t relevant.

Was that the Moyes factor though or just a continuation of Allardyce’s work from the season before? You should read some of Defoe’s comments how dressing room morale and team spirit took a huge nose dive after Moyes was appointed.

My original post was a reply to a poster saying maybe Moyes doesn’t rate Hernandez. My point was “maybe he doesn’t rate that type of striker.” And I probably stand by that as I can’t remember Moyes signing any mobile goal-poaching types at Everton (cue someone here to prove me wrong now.) I think he just worked with what he had at Sunderland, it was enough for Allardyce to keep them up the season before.
steps

Postby Patito on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:45 pm

steps wrote:My original post was a reply to a poster saying maybe Moyes doesn’t rate Hernandez. My point was “maybe he doesn’t rate that type of striker.” And I probably stand by that as I can’t remember Moyes signing any mobile goal-poaching types at Everton (cue someone here to prove me wrong now.)

Andy Johnson
Jose Baxter
Louis Saha
Jermaine Beckford
James Vaughan
Francis Jeffers
Tomasz Radzinski

Very varying levels of success between that lot!
Patito

Postby Ozza on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:16 pm

You lot do realise that being able to give the other team a physical battering is pretty much impossible in today’s football?
Ozza

Postby Colours never run on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:43 pm

StackerJJ wrote:The questions is not where he plays, the question is how the team is set up....... Hernandez has some of the best movement in the PL and if the ball is played into his path he will score.

Exactly right.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby steps on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Patito wrote:

Andy Johnson
Jose Baxter
Louis Saha
Jermaine Beckford
James Vaughan
Francis Jeffers
Tomasz Radzinski

Very varying levels of success between that lot!

Louis Saha would be the exception to the rule out of that lot, an absolutely cracking striker in his day (imho.) I’ll never forget that goal he scored against us at UP when playing for Metz in the Intertoto, easily one of the best goals I’ve seen from the oppo score at the old girl.

The rest of them, plodders.

Hernandez and Payet btw. Wow, what a pairing that would of been for us! *weeps a slight tear of what could of been* :cry:
steps

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion