World Cup qualifers

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: World Cup qualifers

Postby trevshead10may1980 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:26 am

Congratulations to Sweden, so glad Italy are out, one less team of cheats to worry about.
trevshead10may1980

Postby Puff Daddy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 am

This is what Italian football needs, but I think it will be only temporary. The Italian league is steadily improving and could well become a force once again within a few years. Italy have not gone beyond the last 16 In the last two World Cup tournaments and although still great defensively, they have relied upon the same old stalwarts for years, but like so many other teams, they no longer possess a Paolo Rossi, or Roberto Baggio up front and Ventura will pay for this failure with his job. Things will now get shaken up in the Italian FA and they will now invest in youth. What you can be certain of however, is that one of the most successful teams in international football ever, will rise again
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby fmgod on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am

The team is fine, the manager is clueless, they have Immobile one of the top strikers in europe last two years, they have Insigne and Jorginho from Napoli. The defence and keeper are fine,
fmgod

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 am

HammerBen wrote:I was at the Denmark ROI game on Saturday night. Have to say, I don't think I have ever witnessed a better drilled team than the Republic. I'm now in Dublin waiting for the second leg and I think we are going to see a very different game which I'm hoping will be better suited to the Danes. I just can't see how O'Neill will set up in the same way playing at home.

The ROI manager is unimaginative. Hearing him ask for the "Aviva roar" is embarrassing, like he's relying on the fans to try and win this match whilst he sets the team up to bore the pants off everyone.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby sanchoz on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 am

fmgod wrote:The team is fine, the manager is clueless, they have Immobile one of the top strikers in europe last two years, they have Insigne and Jorginho from Napoli. The defence and keeper are fine,

Surreal sight to be seeing De Rossi pointing out Insigne to the manager as the guy who should be warming up, not him.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby Tenbury on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:35 am

My house isn't such a good place to be this morning,the Italian outlaws have had a complete meltdown. At least they won't be at risk from the Russian ultras.They might have been poor,but the WC will will miss them.
Tenbury

Postby Antwerp_Lad on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am

That Ventura really is an absolute tit.

Not even putting Insigne on during that entire game is a farce, De Rossi visibly pissed off that wanted him to come on as a token gesture,...
Antwerp_Lad

Postby James P on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:03 am

Tenbury wrote:They might have been poor,but the WC will miss them.

Funnily enough I was thinking the exact opposite whilst watching last night and contemplating a World Cup without Italy. That Jorginho was good to watch and Immobile clearly has a bit about him but other than that I couldn't see anyone I would miss from the tournament.
James P

Postby Paddy O'Hammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Randy doing the business again for Ireland
Paddy O'Hammer

Postby Paddy O'Hammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Randy doing the business again for Ireland

Bollox....no jinx me hopes
Paddy O'Hammer

Postby Paddy O'Hammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Ah ****.

Just like a typical match thread
Paddy O'Hammer

Postby Slacking student on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Currently in centre mid for England we have the combination of Livermore, Lingard and Dier.

Not exactly inspiring is it
Slacking student

Postby Samba on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Ah ****.

Just like a typical match thread

Good luck, Paddy. Gonna be tough now but you never know!
Samba

Postby Puff Daddy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:56 pm

It's not a World Cup qualifier, but sitting here watching England v Brazil, very little is ever said about Brazilian defenders. Not that they have had much defending to do, but when they do, they all cover for one another. What you notice is their skill in midfield and flair up front, but every defender has a bit of pace and skill on the ball too
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby sendô on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 pm

Gutted about Italy, the World Cup wont be the same without them, especially as I normally support them for most of the tournament after England inevitably crash out.

They have similar issues to us, most teams in the league have more foreigners than Italians now, and Juve do the same as Chelsea and hoover up all the youth players then loan them to Serie B teams.

They need something to change, they're nowhere near where they were in the 90s, this might be the kick they need.
sendô

Postby steveyrockstar on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm

My knowledge of football outside the Prem is admittedly poor but if Southampton's Gabbiadini is starting up front for Italy (with Eder in reserve), my initial thoughts are 'wow, and people say the England squad is weak these days'.

He's decent but I wouldn't be expecting him to start for a major footballing nation.
steveyrockstar

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:06 pm

And thats that for Ireland.

A shame but tonight the opposition had the better players .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby prophet:marginal on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 pm

The refereeing in this England match is terrible.

The team are doing a passable impression of recent West Ham displays.

Marcelo is incomparably more skilful than any of our players (naff little cheat he is).
prophet:marginal

Postby Paddy O'Hammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 pm

The biggest fuckin jinx ever.

And the greatest load of *****
Paddy O'Hammer

Postby Westbourne Bill on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 pm

Slacking student wrote:Currently in centre mid for England we have the combination of Livermore, Lingard and Dier.

Not exactly inspiring is it

I agree but Lallana and Alli will make a difference.
Westbourne Bill

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion