World Cup qualifers

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: World Cup qualifers

Postby Puff Daddy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Randy doing the business again for Ireland

En, to, tre, fire, fen ~ That's five in Danish
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Colours never run on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm

Italy, Holland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland and last but definitely not least Wales, wish you were at the World Cup? Because your boys took 1 hell of a beating.. Come On England! :raver:
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby e17 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 pm

England currently is liking watching Pullis managing Burnley

Tedious
e17

Postby dodger on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:19 pm

It really is fashionable to moan about England isn't it? Even when it's unjustified.

We have some great youngsters coming through and held Brazil and Germany with two of our second teams including a few teenage debutants.

This coming World Cup will be too soon to seriously challenge but 2022 and 2026 look promising.

As for Ireland, that is an embarrassing scoreline.
dodger

Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Postby dodger on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 pm

e17 wrote:England currently is liking watching Pullis managing Burnley

Tedious

What exactly did you expect tonight?
dodger

Postby bobcar on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Slacking student wrote:Currently in centre mid for England we have the combination of Livermore, Lingard and Dier.

Not exactly inspiring is it

Yet for the second game in succession we haven't conceded against one of the best teams in the world, Brazil hardly created a chance. Of course it goes without saying that it was only a friendly but it shows that at least the players out there can defend given the right system.

It puts our qualifying games in perspective, Brazil were clearly better than us but struggled to create anything meaningful against a team defending well - just like us in the qualifiers but I doubt they'll get the same barrage of criticism.
bobcar

Postby Noble Man on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:29 pm

[quote="dodger"]It really is fashionable to moan about England isn't it? Even when it's unjustified.

We have some great youngsters coming through and held Brazil and Germany with two of our second teams including a few teenage debutants.

This coming World Cup will be too soon to seriously challenge but 2022 and 2026 look promising.

and there in 1 post is why we all love seeing England capitulating in every tournament!! When will you ever learn?

You simply can't compare the riches England have when compared to the other home nations and ROI. Have you seen the teams the NI team players play for and yet they pushed the 11th FIFA rated team all the way and were a shocking penalty decision away from qualifying.

God help us if England had gone out to such a decision....we're still hearing about the hand of God in '86 FFS!!!
Noble Man

Postby Colours never run on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Quite right, Dodger.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Simply Moore on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Scotsman, Welshman and Irishman walk into a pub.......

....to watch England in the World Cup :raver:
Simply Moore

Postby dodger on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Noble Man wrote:and there in 1 post is why we all love seeing England capitulating in every tournament!! When will you ever learn?

You simply can't compare the riches England have when compared to the other home nations and ROI. Have you seen the teams the NI team players play for and yet they pushed the 11th FIFA rated team all the way and were a shocking penalty decision away from qualifying.

'The riches'? What does footballing success in international football have to do with money exactly? Have Brazil and Germany been the most footballing nations because of investment? Why do China keep failing when they're throwing all the money in the world at football then?

I support the other home nations, but they are not immune from criticism. The Irish have a population of about 5 million, Denmark's is similar. To lose at home to them 1-5 is embarrassing, I don't know any other way to put it.

As for NI, they were unlucky, but it wasn't David vs Goliath as some would like to suggest. NI have a population of just under 2 million, Switzerland's is just over 8.

You love seeing England capitulate because you do not like England. Please do not pretend it is because of English arrogance. I see English people usually support other home nations, but it certainly doesn't work the other way around sadly.
dodger

Postby Colours never run on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:05 am

Again, bang on the money.
Colours never run

Postby Noble Man on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:07 am

[quote="dodger"][quote="Noble Man"]

As for NI, they were unlucky, but it wasn't David vs Goliath as some would like to suggest. NI have a population of just under 2 million, Switzerland's is just over 8.

over 4 times bigger then...ok then - sound argument.

You love seeing England capitulate because you do not like England.

Not true... and yes it is about arrogance. Fans and press Big up England every competition and yet despite the riches (and yes they do have many more than the other home nations) they never deliver.
Noble Man

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:10 am

dodger wrote:
You love seeing England capitulate because you do not like England. Please do not pretend it is because of English arrogance. I see English people usually support other home nations, but it certainly doesn't work the other way around sadly.

I'm Welsh , my first language is Welsh yet I've always wanted England to do well , I even bought the ' Back Home ' single as a kid .
I also know for a fact there's a Scottish contingency that follow the England National side .

So , yeah , it does work the other way round .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Colours never run on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 am

Ah you've got to be in it to win it as the saying goes. It boils down to jealousy whenever I hear home nation fans digging us out when we've said **** all and qualify quietly. As it goes I wish Northern Ireland more than anyone else in the home nations got through as they are the underdogs of the lot but sadly wasn't to be.

Special mention to the Welsh though, an elephant never forgets...

https://youtu.be/G9M9Vaa4wUI

Enjoy watching us at the World Cup on the telly Bale et al.
Colours never run

Postby ageing hammer on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:19 am

Just back from the pub. We were well beaten by the better side no doubt. We made at least 3 defensive errors that gifted the Danes 3 goals and Randolph saved about three more. To be fair the Danes were well over us and they fully deserve to qualify. A lot of the blame seems to be falling at Martin O' Neil's door but I cannot apportion blame to him if I am honest. No manager would have been able to get that team this far with no talent available in any position. In truth he did well to get them as far as this. All I could think of at the final whistle was that Ireland had turned into West Ham :oops:
ageing hammer

Postby badseed on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 am

Just saw ex-Hammer Stan Lazaridis while I'm waiting here in Melbourne for my flight up to Sydney for the 2nd leg of our World Cup playoff against Honduras.

Only our game and then Peru v NZ (c'mon Winston) tomorrow!
badseed

Postby Doc H Ball on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 am

badseed wrote:Just saw ex-Hammer Stan Lazaridis while I'm waiting here in Melbourne for my flight up to Sydney for the 2nd leg of our World Cup playoff against Honduras.

Only our game and then Peru v NZ (c'mon Winston) tomorrow!

Funnily enough I saw Stan at the MCG at a Demons game once. Enjoy.

C'mon The Desiring Protector.
Doc H Ball

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:32 am

Ireland display was so weird tonight especially after going 1-0.Honestly thought that would be it and would end 1-0.Space they gave Danes was madness.Have to say one of the best hatricks seen in a while by eriksen.Shame no other British will be there.But 2 clean sheets is decent for England. Add Kane dele sterling and it’s not half bad.
bubbles500

Postby Colours never run on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 am

Will always fondly remember Skippys thunderbolt for us up at St James Park.
Colours never run

Postby dodger on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:01 am

Noble Man wrote:

over 4 times bigger then...ok then - sound argument.

You love seeing England capitulate because you do not like England.

Not true... and yes it is about arrogance. Fans and press Big up England every competition and yet despite the riches (and yes they do have many more than the other home nations) they never deliver.

And NI's population is four times bigger than Iceland's, so are NI underachieving? Of course not. My main point was that while population is clearly a factor, smaller nations like Croatia prove it isn't as much of one as some make out. It's about the quality of player produced, and despite your protestations that isn't so much about money. How many great Brazilians learnt their skills in the poor streets of their cities? Was that about money?

I haven't seen the press or the fans big up England's chances since about 2010, and really it was probably 2006 the last time people were talking about us having a chance of winning it. Considering that World Cup we were only stopped by penalties, and the World Cup before we were only beaten by the winners, I wouldn't say that's arrogance, but you can believe that if it gives your hatred a sense of validation. I spent my entire childhood hoping Scotland do well. It was only when I moved to Scotland I realized how much hatred there was the other way.

Finally, in reply to the other poster, yes of course I know it's not all home nation fans. Of course there are Scots, Welsh and Irish who want England to do well, and there are English who want the others to lose, but it's only in the former three that you see pubs celebrating the crashing out of the latter as if their own team had won the World Cup.
dodger

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion