How would you change football for the better?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

How would you change football for the better?

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:23 am

Starter for 10...

Abolish international friendlies and qualifiers. Tournaments to remain but invite only. (San Marino Etc can bugger off)
Hugh Jargon II

Re: How would you change football for the better?

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:27 am

All cup competitions completely unseeded, with no dispensations to teams already earning double in Europe.

Man U -v- Man C in the 2nd round of the League Cup?

Big whoop.
prophet:marginal

Postby Beavis Danzig on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 am

a stand every home ground should be unallocated pay at the gate only with a £20 price cap.

transition that stand to rail standing as soon as it becomes legal.
Beavis Danzig

Postby New Jersey on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:55 am

Do away with the offside rule. Open up the pitch, instead of 20 players all in and around the centre circle. It'll take away the "his arm was offisde" calls that can go either way, but usually seem more in favour of the big clubs. The game is about entertainment, goals is a big part of that, the offside rule has prevented many a good goal. A run behind the defense that was a fraction of a second too early that gets punished now will now play out.

Tactics will still be a big part of the game, if a striker stays up front, then that will mean a defender stays back, leaving more space for skillful players to be more creative. So tired of teams passing sideways and backwards, especially us. I'm up for 8-7 score lines.
New Jersey

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:08 am

New Jersey wrote:Do away with the offside rule. Open up the pitch, instead of 20 players all in and around the centre circle. It'll take away the "his arm was offisde" calls that can go either way, but usually seem more in favour of the big clubs. The game is about entertainment, goals is a big part of that, the offside rule has prevented many a good goal. A run behind the defense that was a fraction of a second too early that gets punished now will now play out.

Tactics will still be a big part of the game, if a striker stays up front, then that will mean a defender stays back, leaving more space for skillful players to be more creative. So tired of teams passing sideways and backwards, especially us. I'm up for 8-7 score lines.

Totally agree would be fascinating.I can’t see a negative.games are more or less played in 30% of pitch.As you say opens up whole pitch.Honestly no idea what a game would look like but would be interesting.
bubbles500

Postby West Ham Dave on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:03 am

Maximum basic pay of £500 a week enough to put food on the table, BUT a win bonus as big as the player or he's agent can negotiate.
Now U want the big house, flash car & rolex, get out there and put the effort into winning to earn the money to pay for it.
West Ham Dave

Postby comebackjoecole on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 am

Min of 5 English players in every starting Premier X1
Maximum salary, including bonuses of £2.5m per year.
Bring back Home Internationals
Drop League Cup, have new cup with Scottish and English teams in same tournament.
Make clubs have min of 10% of seating for kids, in dedicated kids area, if seats not filled give rest away to local schools.
comebackjoecole

Postby Douthy on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:02 am

Wage cap for under 21’s

Salary cap for all clubs to be the same to open up the league with credits given for players who come from the academy (minimum 5 years at club before pro debut). Allow for 2 “marquee” signings outside of the cap.

Force clubs to use a set % of TV revenues against ticketing/stadium costs

Introduce video ref

Immediate yellow card for swearing at ref - captain or not

No more Friday night games, a set amount of games per club must be Saturday 3pm.

While people can buy/sell clubs, the club itself should nominate an independent Chairman every 5 years, with fans voting for them. The chairman is then given a budget by the owners and reports to the fans. This segregation of duties gives the club more transparency and the owners more legitimacy.
Douthy

Postby jevs on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:19 am

Transfer window for managers as well as players.

Standing on certain terraces

Some pay on the gate areas

5 game ban for any diving. Doubled if it results in the opponent losing the game.

Video refs will have to come in.

Bring back home internationals
jevs

Postby Rio on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:02 am

Revert to only transfer deadline being the end of March
Revert to old format knockout 2 legged European club competitions.
Safe standing
Tv money to be shared fairly throughout the 92 clubs
Ticket prices set at £30 max for top flight, £25 Championship, £20 league one, £15 league two and below
Wage caps to be implemented.
New kits every 2 years
Introduce German style 50+1 ownership
TV fixtures to be announced minimum of 2 months in advance
No manipulation of fixtures for benefit of tv. I.e. no wow arsenal are playing Tottenham and the Manchester derby every year and pretending it’s a surprise
Return to sesnsible local derbies at Christmas/New Year
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Tenbury on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:06 am

Loads of good ideas.This one's mine,needs a bit of work,feel free to add to it/trash it etc .

Players should register with their first club,and they can' t be bought or sold. Instead they are leased out by their original club for a set time (renewable).
This way,all clubs at whatever level would be encouraged to scout/train youngsters etc,and their would be real changes in the way money is distributed down the leagues(think how much Hardy,Ali,etc would benefit their first clubs throughout the length of their careers).
Tenbury

Postby Coops on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:08 am

Bring back Hammerettes.
Coops

Postby e17 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:17 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Starter for 10...

Abolish international friendlies and qualifiers. Tournaments to remain but invite only. (San Marino Etc can bugger off)

You’d be losing half of the best club performances then.

We got a Payet who was doing everything he could to get himself in the window for France and the Euro’s and it showed.

& how would you stop offering up default spots to failing giants like the current Netherlands or Italy teams, over someone like Iceland? You’d end up with even more stagnant finals with teams dragging out 0-0 penalty wins to mask his **** they are.

It’s the Cameron 90 or Iceland 16 that make international football bearable
e17

Postby Rocket on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 am

Salary cap.
Strict rules about all pricing - tickets and merchandise.
Compulsory terraced areas in all stadia.
One televised game per weekend, the rest are 3:00 on Saturday.
Limit the number of times any one team may be televised.
Abolish the transfer windows and return to the March deadline.

I'd ****ing love to run football.
Rocket

Postby e17 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:30 am

Coops wrote:Bring back Hammerettes.

This is more like it

On that note: I grew up in walking distance of Manzes and the amazing Wood Street pie and mash shop (run by West Ham STHs), it’s incredible how hard not having our ritual meal on Barking Road on the way to The Boleyn has hit us. Not the pub bit - I’ve drunk in Stratford, Leytonstone etc all my life so that was never a problem, but the grub & that freedom of choice... Manzes is painfully expensive and long ago became a media attraction for “the old East End” and Westfield is square pie nonsense.

I know the rib man and stuff like that is good, but **** me I miss the pie & mash and I miss the botulism burgers
e17

Postby Coops on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 am

Sadly E17 that is now gone forever. The world has changed and now the bastards have changed my West Ham.
Coops

Postby Bend it like Repka on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 am

Clearly the biggest problem in football is money. It has transformed the sport in a way that has removed much of the passion, loyalty and work ethic from clubs.

That game is now dominated by the desire to make the champions league or stay in the Premiership. Both as much due to wealth as prestige.

Footballers have always earned more than the general public, but we have reached the point where the disparity is so great I believe many can't idolise or even look up to players any more.

I remember watching the great Liverpool team that included players like Rush, Barnes and Beardsley come to Upton Park, and as much as I wanted us to beat them as a club, you could help admire their professionalism, their team ethic and their ability. They were probably the highest paid players in the league, but I bet no one thought they didn't deserve it. Plus we are not talking about amounts that are so disproportionate they could retire after one season. Now a club like Chelski can visit, and I look at their hugely paid players and just think this is the team that downed tools 2 seasons ago just because they didn't fancy it, yet still earned millions each that season.

For too many the money doesn't merit the performance. Just picking Arnautovic as an example, can you imagine how much he has earned in his short time with us, and as we know, he has been not only ****, but massively lacking in professional effort. How can I ever respect or admire a player like him when I grew up watching players Martin, Dicks and Brooking?

The genie is out the bottle, but I'd love more than anything else to see players having to earn their money. I wouldn't care if a player ended up with a mansion and ten cars, but it would have been nice to think it would have taken him 5 or 6 seasons at the top playing well to get it.

As for players U21 and the money the get without even achieving a thing....
Last edited by Bend it like Repka on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bend it like Repka

Postby bristolhammerfc on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 am

Abolish the January transfer window.
Have a quota of domestic players
Cap ticket prices
Have declared squads for cup games with 4 changes per round allowed
Have a minimum of five Saturday 3.00 games
Ensure pre season friendlies are 80% domestic from another league.
bristolhammerfc

Postby Tristan Shout on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 am

Retrospective bans for feigning injury, if you go down writhing around in agony, touch your head then look at your hand as if you are looking for blood when an opposition player has brushed his fingertip past your elbow, then you slowly get up and limp away like you'll be lucky to walk again, then a minute later sprint after the ball, you should be named and shamed, cheat of the week on motd, then banned for six games.
Only down side would be most teams wouldn't have 11 players to field after the first game
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby fjthegrey on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:14 am

Every club 100% fan owned.

Committee decisions or democratic appointment of set term acting directors.

Salary caps with ceilings for players of lesser experience.

TV money split between all league clubs evenly.

% of revenue from each club to be reinvested into grass roots football for all age groups. Essentially sponsoring local leagues and teams.
fjthegrey

Next

Return to General Discussion