How would you change football for the better?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: How would you change football for the better?

Postby New Jersey on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 am

Major, I live in New Jersey but I’m as English as you are. If I remember correctly, the offside rule was introduced in the sixties and was to prevent goal-hanging. The game and the fitness level has changed considerably now, and the offside decisions can go either way, sometimes goals are disallowed that are legit and vice versa.

I wasn’t trying to Americanize the game, just provide more space for creative players to do their stuff, show their skill, and stop wrong decisions from the officials. Maybe it would change the game to be better, maybe it wouldn’t. Just wanted to voice an opinion and wanted you to know that I’m English.
New Jersey

Postby kayahammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:35 am

Bubbles Bob wrote:Football needs a sin bin. Players "taking one for the team" or showing abusive/disrespectful behavior should get 10 mins off the pitch. The result is a 10 min period where the side with the extra man should be able to go for it adding excitement. Subsequently players that have lost their heads get a chance to calm down. Take the recent Andy Carroll incident, with a bin in place he'd had definatly gone to it following the first incident, hopefully calmed down and returned to the game.

When a player gets sent off it totally mugs off all those supporters who have paid a small fortune to get there.

Are you suggesting AC is rubbish? :wink:
kayahammer

Postby New Jersey on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 am

I also am dumbfounded by the buffoon who is running the U.S.
New Jersey

Postby snooperpooper on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Increase the number of players per team to 15, reduce the time played to 80mins then change the ball from round to oval and get the players to throw it.....

Seems to create far more respectful participants who spend 80 mins pretending they're not injured rather than currently where footballers spend 90 mins pretending they are.
snooperpooper

Postby Hammer in Hornchurch on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:46 am

Video replay - like the 3rd umpire in cricket.
Ok it would hold up play, but at least a correct decision would be made.
Take Northern Ireland v Switzerland as a prime example where a wrong referee decision has cost a team/nation from playing in a major tournament

Keep 3 subs, but only allow 4 players on the subs bench; one has to be a GK.

Limit the number of non British players in a match day squad.
Give the youngsters a chance.
Hammer in Hornchurch

Postby The Sherriff on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

In England … or through the PL, I would distribute all TV money more evenly across the pyramid system. This would alleviate a lot of the games cancerous problems.

I would also put a levy of on all transfers involving foreign players. Could 1 or 2% but that would go into grass root coffers and aid the game. Would hopefully drive down the over inflated costs of English players.

I would put a cap on home game tickets – as they do with away’s.

The ability for clubs to wipe out excessive debt needs to be looked at. Chelsea for instance cheated their way to where they are today, clubs like west ham at least paid their dues, whilst Chelsea were able to rack up a level of an unacceptable debt only to have it wiped out. It gives an unfair advantage as it’s like wining the football lottery.

Each club’s board must have at least 15% representation from official/independent supporters group.

Remove the ambiguity from the laws of the game and make it more clinical as it was 20 odd years ago (i.e. offside … 2nd phase, 3rd phase b*llocks).

Loan system needs to be scrapped.

I would turn the coaching system on its head. UEFA A and B licences recipients should be coaching kids not adults, I’d also make it infinitely cheaper to attain.

Football needs to be indepentaty regulated. Referees need to be independently regulated and given a lesson in keeping under the radar, they need educating that they are not part of the match day entertainment. A good ref is one you don’t notice.

Match day kick-off times need to be looked at. It’s getting harder and harder, the PL need to grow a pair and recognise the importance of the fans. Sky and BT are literally taking the piss.

Safe standing.

Coloured boots should be outlawed.

Silly ****ing handshake celebrations should be punishable.
The Sherriff

Postby Dyl on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Premier league draft system. The ability to 'buy' players is abolished.

All players playing outside the premier league must be made eligible for the draft by their agent or they cannot come to the premier league. If this discourages foreign players from coming then fine, more English/lower league players it is.

Teams pick in order of where they finished previous season. Newly promoted club 1 gets first pick of all available players, second promoted club 2nd pick, third promoted club 3rd pick, fourth bottom fourth pick and so on until the champions get the final choice.

This continues for as many rounds as necessary to fill out squad of x number of players. Any unwanted players who are dropped from squads can re-enter the draft or leave the premier league.

Salary cap means dropping star players will need to be done to free up space elsewhere for new talent etc.
Dyl

Postby Kludgehammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:50 pm

New Jersey wrote:If I remember correctly, the offside rule was introduced in the sixties and was to prevent goal-hanging.

Offside had been introduced by at least the 1860s*, so you've got a pretty long memory

(* some variants go back earlier)
Kludgehammer

Postby Billydinho on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Anyone caught diving gets a 6 match ban. This also includes the pathetic dives you see from defenders when they feel the slightest bit of contact in order to get a foul and a break in play.

Transfer fees capped at £20million. Wages capped at £50k a week.

Cup draws conducted in a more transparent fashion. Not in the Far East or pre-recorded.

Anyone caught dabbing or conducting a secret handshake after scoring gets their goal chalked off.

Anyone called Delle Alli isn't allowed to play.
Billydinho

Postby Goldsmith on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:57 pm

The Sherriff wrote:In England … or through the PL, I would distribute all TV money more evenly across the pyramid system. This would alleviate a lot of the games cancerous problems.

I would also put a levy of on all transfers involving foreign players. Could 1 or 2% but that would go into grass root coffers and aid the game. Would hopefully drive down the over inflated costs of English players.

I would put a cap on home game tickets – as they do with away’s.

The ability for clubs to wipe out excessive debt needs to be looked at. Chelsea for instance cheated their way to where they are today, clubs like west ham at least paid their dues, whilst Chelsea were able to rack up a level of an unacceptable debt only to have it wiped out. It gives an unfair advantage as it’s like wining the football lottery.

Each club’s board must have at least 15% representation from official/independent supporters group.

Remove the ambiguity from the laws of the game and make it more clinical as it was 20 odd years ago (i.e. offside … 2nd phase, 3rd phase b*llocks).

Loan system needs to be scrapped.

I would turn the coaching system on its head. UEFA A and B licences recipients should be coaching kids not adults, I’d also make it infinitely cheaper to attain.

Football needs to be indepentaty regulated. Referees need to be independently regulated and given a lesson in keeping under the radar, they need educating that they are not part of the match day entertainment. A good ref is one you don’t notice.

Match day kick-off times need to be looked at. It’s getting harder and harder, the PL need to grow a pair and recognise the importance of the fans. Sky and BT are literally taking the piss.

Safe standing.

Coloured boots should be outlawed.

Silly ****ing handshake celebrations should be punishable.

Covered it all here I think! :thup:
Goldsmith

Postby Hammers Dad on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Salary maximum £10k a week, bonuses for winning/drawing. Team bonus for goals scored rather than scoring bonus for one player.
Standing returned to grounds but ticket price reduced to £20 max. Increased capacity will make up difference in price. Fed up with paying £50 for a home game when the away fans watching the same game get it for £20.
Anyone "injured" that requires medical attention on the pitch has to have a minimum of 5 minutes treatment off the pitch, irrespective of recovery.
The referee is the man in charge, not the captain or player of the top 4/6 club. Any dissent means a ban.
I quite like the idea from Rugby where the clock is turned off for the referee to sort things out....mind you, in football that could mean games lasting 3 hours!
Hammers Dad

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Bring back sheepskin coats and cigars for Managers.
Resurrect Brian Clough
Ban sponsors on shirts
Cockneyboy311

Postby Kludgehammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:17 pm

"Shepherding the ball out" to be treated as obstruction with indirect free kick given. That's not a change in the laws, just requiring refs to actually uphold one

Defenders "nudging" players as they're about to receive the ball or shoot to be treated as a foul with a direct free kick or penalty, as appropriate. That's not a change... etc etc.

Players going down because "they've felt a contact" that wouldn't have diverted the course of a particularly small house-fly to be repeatedly kicked by Stuart Pearce until they understand what "contact" actually is
Kludgehammer

Postby Simply Moore on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:34 pm

New Jersey wrote:I also am dumbfounded by the buffoon who is running the U.S.

To be fair, he may be old but at least he’s not short and fat :|
Simply Moore

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Only captains allowed to speak with the referee.
ANY dissent moves free kick ten yards forward. If that takes it in the penalty area, it's a penalty.
Offending team must immediately move ten yards away from a free kick. None of this standing two inches away while the goalkeeper sets his wall. Failure to do so, ten yards/penalty.
If the ball hits hand or arm, it's a foul.
If players take more than ten seconds to enter or leave the pitch once the referee has signalled a substitution, play restarts regardless.
The nearest player to the ball must take a throw-in.
Enforce the goalkeeper's six second rule.

That'll do for now.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby PalmettoHammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Eliminate the offside rule.

Bring back the pass back to the goalkeeper.

There would be space for days.

All penalty kicks should be shown from behind the penalty taker. How they are still showing penalties from the wide angle sideline view is beyond me.
PalmettoHammer

Postby James P on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Kludgehammer wrote:"Shepherding the ball out" to be treated as obstruction with indirect free kick given. That's not a change in the laws, just requiring refs to actually uphold one

Shepherding the ball out is perfectly legal and a fundamental part of defending.
James P

Postby Kludgehammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 pm

It is now - but I would like a coherent explanation for why that doesn't constitute obstruction, which is supposedly an offence punishable by a free kick.

Forcing the defender to play the ball instead of blatantly obstructing the attacker would drastically re-balance the game in favour of the attacking team - the defender either has to skillfullly play the ball (fair enough) or boot the ball into touch (advantage attacker); there would be no advantage to the defence in not playing the ball
Kludgehammer

Postby James P on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Because it is perfectly legal and part of the game to use your body as a shield in order to allow you to hold a position from which you can play the ball. Players do it this all over the pitch in all parts of the game. You are not however compelled to play the ball. There is no rule that says you must kick the ball if you can. Such a rule is nonsensical and unenforceable. Therefore if you are holding a position where you can play the ball but it is advantageous for you not to, ie because the ball will run out of play, then you are doing nothing wrong.

Obstruction is when you intentionally block or impede a player but you yourself cannot play the ball.
James P

Postby Slacking student on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Remove Liverpool.

Winner
Slacking student

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion