Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football and Me

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football and Me

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Monkeybubbles - I'd offer my sympathy but you'd forget it after 5 minutes :wink: , so here's the thing - your situation shows that early onset dementia can be caused by many things and can hit anyone of us at anytime.

I'm sure quite a few of us have had concussion more than once over the years, either through sport, fighting, drunkeness, stupidity or all of the above at the same time, and that means that there is a risk for all of us.

Now whilst I'm not sure what can be done about it, and I'm not sure how many of us actually want to know whether we have some level of brain damage, the research needs to be done urgently so we can determine what exactly the level of risk is. Then at least we can make an informed decision as to what to do next.

Sadly for many this will be way to late, but the Football (especially with the money that is awash in the game today) and other sports governing bodies should fund full and detailed research now.
hammerdivone

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Yes, agreed 100%. It's usually impossible to prevent, difficult to diagnose, and virtually impossible to treat, but it's possible to learn to live with it to some degree if you understand that it's happening to you before it really properly happens to you. After that, pffffft.

My doctor friend says: if you can't remember what you had for lunch yesterday, it's time to start finding ways to remember the important stuff. I haven't seen the programme, but the fact that it's got some of us here talking means that we're a big step towards being aware of our own vulnerability. Never thought I'd say it, but God bless Shearer's squinty shiny head.
Monkeybubbles

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Marky wrote:Completely agree my gran has it at the moment. Seems to be far more common now then it was in the 70s 80 90s but maybe I wasnt aware as much

I think there are a few contributing factors. Firstly people are more aware - I'm sure we can all remember a dotty old aunt or odd neighbour. I also think we've become more comfortable seeking medical advice, hence there more reported cases. Add into the mix that people are living longer, cancers are detected earlier and more treatable, less people are smoking etc it all adds up.

I'd like to see a comparison with boxers. They are taking harder and more frequent blows to the head.

Don't get me wrong I'm not devaluing the programme or footballers getting dementia. It's a c..t of a disease that takes away peoples dignity and robs them and their families of their memories. Nothing more upsetting than your dad not knowing who the **** you are.

I would wish dementia on my worst enemy.
RichieRiv

Postby kayahammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:34 am

hammernsickle wrote:Andy Carroll is ****ed.

He seems to have forgotten where the goal is
kayahammer

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:Here's a secret: I have dementia.

It's a bitch.

I'm 53, and had a small stroke a few years back. Probably had a few minor episodes before and since. As a consequence I've developed vascular dementia, apparently. My balance is a bit shonky, my concentration is all over the shop, my memory is shot. I have a bunch of coping strategies, so it's not too bad. An old head on young shoulders.

Still, I can head the ball like a mutha. Might as well now.

I looked up ' Vascular Dementia ' and the first symptom is apparently ' slowness of thought ' - this you do not suffer from , there isn't a more quick-witted poster on here than yourself so you can scrub that symptom out , my friend -
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Morocco Mole on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Marky wrote:Completely agree my gran has it at the moment. Seems to be far more common now then it was in the 70s 80 90s but maybe I wasnt aware as much

Research is still quite new and sketchy but supposedly heavily linked to diet, specifically the overly-calorific diets we enjoy in the West and the increase of processed crap in said diets. IGF-1 hormone is your enemy here. Basically eat less and eat better. I know, rocket science right? :)
Morocco Mole

Postby RayleighHammer23 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 pm

I'm not convinced, until they can somehow sample a 1000 ex pro centre forwards at age 65. They have no way of knowing whether you have more chance of developing dementia from playing football.

Surely it wouldn't cost much to fund that research.
RayleighHammer23

Postby Samba on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 am

It's become the 'new' cancer, hasn't it? A particularly cruel illness.
What continues to surprise me in the 21st century is the amount of terrible illness's that medical science hasn't got a clue how to treat. They're pretty good at emergency medicine, much less so with chronic stuff. But then the brain is supposed to be the most complicated thing in the universe.
Also linked is supposed to be a lack of rem (dream) sleep, when supposedly, the old noggin is flushed through with cerebral-spino fluid, clearing out the waste build-up. But, the usual question, is this a cause or effect of the illness? Just like the aluminium debate.
Re. head trauma. It may well be a factor in some cases, as people point to Jeff Astle, but I can't help thinking that if so, there would have been many more cases from his era than there seem to have been. Intuitively you would also expect a greater number of ex boxers now suffering, than there actually are.
Samba

Postby Colours never run on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:Here's a secret: I have dementia.

It's a bitch.

I'm 53, and had a small stroke a few years back. Probably had a few minor episodes before and since. As a consequence I've developed vascular dementia, apparently. My balance is a bit shonky, my concentration is all over the shop, my memory is shot. I have a bunch of coping strategies, so it's not too bad. An old head on young shoulders.

Still, I can head the ball like a mutha. Might as well now.

You hid your secret well as you come across as one of the most switched on posters on here with a witty remark every now and again.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Colours never run on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:36 am

kayahammer wrote:He seems to have forgotten where the goal is

:lol:
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Samba wrote:Re. head trauma. It may well be a factor in some cases, as people point to Jeff Astle, but I can't help thinking that if so, there would have been many more cases from his era than there seem to have been. Intuitively you would also expect a greater number of ex boxers now suffering, than there actually are.

The problem is there is no recording of this data so we don't actually know how many ex-boxers etc. suffer
hammerdivone

Postby swerley on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Not on-topic of football head trauma, but about Shearer - I really enjoyed True Geordie's sit-down interview with Shearer on Youtube. I don't know much history of him or Newscastle, so maybe I am looking at this all wrong, but he comes across as just a regular guy who had some talent, got some good breaks and bad, and someone who doesn't get wrapped up in his own fame.

Again, I could be wrong - maybe back in his playing days or behind the scenes he is a real d--k. But I became interested enough to listen for the whole 2 hours.

And he does briefly talk about the ball-heading issues.
swerley

Postby ironsonthebrain on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:06 am

RayleighHammer23 wrote:I'm not convinced, until they can somehow sample a 1000 ex pro centre forwards at age 65. They have no way of knowing whether you have more chance of developing dementia from playing football.

Surely it wouldn't cost much to fund that research.

Fair point, the studies thus far have all been small but all the evidence so far does point to a very strong link. Publicity such as the newspaper articles and TV programmes will hopefully persuade more ex-pros to donate their brains for study. The more brains studied the more definitive the results should be.
For me personally it seems to be more than a coincidence.
Problem is for this sort of research the funding is pitiful when compared to cancer for example. With the ridiculous sums of money sloshing about in modern football a very small percentage would go a long , long way to fund scientists to study the brains of former footballers. I understand that it costs about £5k for a lab to receive, diagnose, further study and archive a human brain. Perhaps the answer is a national research lab or a body to administer extra funding to existing labs studying Neurodegenerative disease. But this should not be ignored, this needs to be done now - sooner it is possible to establish or dismiss a link between repeated heading, concussions and brain disease the better.
ironsonthebrain

Previous

Return to General Discussion