Pace Causes Space

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Pace Causes Space

Postby brooking1966 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 am

Still not enough pace in the team, teams camp in our half due to no 'in behind' threat. We need pace up top to create space for our midfield players to get comfortable spacing for combo passing & possesion.

Sakho has to play asap imo, Love to swap him for Dimitri Oberlin Red Bull on loan @ Basel.http://www.sportbible.com/football/take-a-bow-watch-basel-star-dimitri-oberlin-channeled-his-inner-usain-bolt-20170928

Antonio, Masuaku, & Cheik are the only pace guys playing starting although even that's a stretch with Mas hardly playing, Antonio injured & Cheik CB.

Inject Pace now POA
1. Play Sakho
2. Unleash Cheik box2box
3. Try Quina over Arnie
4. Play Hernandes/Byram RWB with Zaba's experience/leadership close by @ RCB
5. Don't start Noble
6. Play Ayew & Lanzini together switching LM/CAM (easier to find space to work)
7. Carroll impact sub only.
brooking1966

Re: Pace Causes Space

Postby szola on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:08 am

1. We have been scoring goals of late, so why include the wantaway striker?
2. Kouyate is a better defender than midfielder. His pace is needed at the back.
3. Do you know how old Quina is, and what our imidiate goals are?
4. Byram is a winger, so the RWB role is not unfamiliar to him. Hernandez is a poacher.
5. Noble is the only player, bar Lanzini, who can spot a pass and execute. He is also one of the few who cares.
6. Is happening.
7. With any luck, he will be.
szola

Postby Monkeybubbles on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:22 am

brooking1966 wrote:4. Play Hernandes/Byram RWB with Zaba's experience/leadership close by @ RCB

I'm guessing you mean Fernandes?
Monkeybubbles

Postby MB on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 am

I would say it is less about a lack of pace and more about a lack of movement and urgency in our play.

But in terms of priorities, we have to sort out the other end first and we need Kouyate there rather than trying to be the next Yaya.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby mitford on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 am

MB wrote:I would say it is less about a lack of pace and more about a lack of movement and urgency in our play.

:thup:
mitford

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:58 pm

mitford wrote:I would say it is less about a lack of pace and more about a lack of movement and urgency in our play.

Indeed. It's like we are playing walking football at times.
Cockneyboy311

Postby bubbles1966 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:32 pm

A lack of pace (and/or energy) often kills us in midfield and at the back. It creates the need to sit back for fear of the opposition getting in behind and it is also a factor in creating the need for the three at the back formation which has usually worked against clubs 7-20.

I watch all the breakaway goals that go in against us and feel it's clear that we have one of the slowest back 5/6's in the league with Zabaleta, Cresswell, Fonte, Noble, Collins among the regular starters.

We become especially vulnerable to counter attacks when Kouyate and Reid get sent up for attacking corners and free kicks.

Pace plus brains and technical consistency costs more money in defensive positions than we've been willing to cough up for so far. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to change.
bubbles1966

Postby the pink palermo on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:53 pm

I wouldn't disagree with any of that Bubbles . Especially the last bit .

Thats the probkem with having Sullivan as DOF . He doesn't know what he is watching. I have serious doubts if he understands the game sufficiently .

Can all his managers be wrong while he is right ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Coops on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:34 pm

the pink palermo wrote:I wouldn't disagree with any of that Bubbles . Especially the last bit .

Thats the probkem with having Sullivan as DOF . He doesn't know what he is watching. I have serious doubts if he understands the game sufficiently .

Can all his managers be wrong while he is right ?

He thinks so, he has said as much.
I am not sure how the ability to sell pictures of low grade slappers with their thrupenny bits out qualifies him to pick a professional footballer, but he thinks that it does and it is he who decides.
Coops

Postby brooking1966 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:45 am

We played great football with 2 fast guys up top in the past (Sakho/Valencia) where we were always a threat to most teams. Dunno why we havent tried this formation for the last 2 years & added some pacy type of strikers to the squad. The lad who Everton stole from us was quick but seemed too lightweight & not flexible enough & able to play as a 1 up top in the PL.

For this 'pace' injection I thought pre season Tammy Abrahams was worth a punt, but Swansea nabbed him. I'd take Niasse off Everton January sales (8-12m) as I think he has the pace, strength, and running determination to play in a 1 up top. Also (side note), I'm gutted Palace got Loftus-Cheek I thought he was a great fit for our Centre Mid.

Leicester do 'Pace' to great effect with Vardy & Mahrez & always seem in with a chance to break & score that was there blue print for winning the league.

Monkey bubbles, yes I do mean Hernandes & not Hernandez at RWB, my reasoning being his rangey frame & ability to cover ground at reasonable pace.
brooking1966

Postby Adam 'The Smudge' on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Pace plus brains and technical consistency costs more money in defensive positions than we've been willing to cough up for so far. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to change.

Couldnt agree more.
We have a lot of stodge in that department.
In fact.......we always have :lol:
Adam 'The Smudge'

Return to General Discussion