Man City 2-1 West Ham United (03/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Re: Man City v West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by Samba »

I wouldn't pay no mind to Delph's comments about us 'parking the bus'.
That was the definition of sour grapes, when he doesn't even need to have sour grapes. And he was incorrect, anyway.
Pro footballers - not usually the brightest of people.
And as for Alan Green creaming himself on 5 live when City got their second...
At least Robbie Savage was impartial & praised our efforts.
Valley Hammer

Post by Valley Hammer »

After the shambolic display at Everton, this was so much better, with effort and passion being displayed - at long last.
I was really impressed with young Rice. Yes, perhaps should have done better for their second but overall, he was excellent.
As said, by just about everyone, Adrian needs to stay in the side, if he was to be dropped after that performance it would send out all the wrong signals to the players.
After going along, expecting a drubbing by six or seven, even a defeat in this manner, was refreshing.
Humbug
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Humbug »

Players did fantastically well considering they were a makeshift side and Moyes could only work with them on this formation for less than a day. I feared like most others we would get thrashed and actually gutted we didn't even get a minimum deserved point. I dislike Guardiola's comments after the game as he shows no empathy or humility at all with opposing clubs . His post match interview just sums him up criticising Hudds, Soton and now us for just defending and not playing like his side . Okay Pep, I wonder how you would play if the boot was on the other foot and we had £925,000000 to spend on our squad.
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

Haha, yeah, parking the bus. They were bricking it last few minutes running to the corner flags, lengthy substitutions, whistling in the wind. Having said that it was funny when the Citeh fans pissed themselves at Adrian in a hurry.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

of course we parked the bus. we're *****. the only way we can ensure anything like a clean sheet against a decent team is to make sure we have a player ready to clean the dirty arris of the man he's next to when he inevitably ****'s up.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

some dive from Delph that
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

hornsey wrote:some dive from Delph that

Nothing more than a cheating, gobshite. Loathsome man and player.

As for parking the bus?? Did he not see those 5 or 6 decent attempts at his own goal?! Dickhead.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Man City were poor and we played well, unfortunately what with their quality and riches that meant we still lost.

Without doubt it was the best performance for us under Moyes, but the test is if we can do that at home against Chelsea and Arsenal and pick up points - not to forget the games against our peers of Stoke/Newcastle/Bournemouth.

I thought both Ogbonna and Obiang were fantastic today, 2 who have (probably fairly) faced heavy criticism this season. Adrian was good too, and should probably keep his place next week.

My concern is the injury list which appears to keep getting bigger each game - maybe the training is a bit too much and a happy balance between Bilic and Moyes methods needs to be found.
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

aaronhammer wrote: My concern is the injury list which appears to keep getting bigger each game - maybe the training is a bit too much and a happy balance between Bilic and Moyes methods needs to be found.
This has been going on for ages though. First it was too much training, then not enough, then Chadwell Heath, then the pitches, the groundsman, the weather, the tooth-fairy. It's probably just the players. Carroll could get injured doing his pony tail.
Demo
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Demo »

I used to have a bit of a soft spot for City after their drop down the divisions etc. But now I bracket them with their near neighbours.

It doesn't ake a brain surgeon to work out that a team that costs about a tenth of yours and who are on a run of dire form aren't going to turn up, go gung ho and let you bang in a hatful. And where does it say in the laws of the game that "parking the bus" is not a valid tactic. Stop whining and work out ways to break it down.

Apart from that, how anyone can like a team that list that odious little twat Sterling in it's number is beyond me. He was despicable at Liverpool and he hasn't changed.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Happy with our bouncebackability today .City looked a little flat to me in the first half but we competed well and the injury to Kouyate hurt us badly .

A point was there for the taking and Arnie did everything right to set up Sakho who should have buried it .

Much. much better than Wednesday and you have to give the Manager some credit for getting a vastly improved performance just a few days after a terrible defeat .

Close but no cigar , but at least some grounds for optimism .
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Played well and lost .... that's relegation form .... much as I was pleased to see the fight we put up it was more a case of City ''just doing enough" .... let's hope we can keep the attitude AND pick up a few points soon
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

IronworksDave wrote:Played well and lost .... that's relegation form .... much as I was pleased to see the fight we put up it was more a case of City ''just doing enough" .... let's hope we can keep the attitude AND pick up a few points soon
No playing **** and losing as we have done in a majority of games this season is relegation form. That sort of effort and commitment for the remaining games gives us a chance, a return to the Everton performance and we are down.

We are likely to get beat by the better teams - it is why the top 6 are just that. Any points from these games are a bonus really. Not trying versus the likes of Brighton or Newcastle is what will get us relegated.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Refreshing to see organisation in the team today. Although we played a nine man defence we still managed to create some decent chances. Usually if we play defensively we just the hoof the ball and pose no threat. Obviously the next two games are difficult, but more of the same commitment could get some unexpected points. Even if we fail to get anything out of those games, establishing a pattern of play and competing properly will stand us in good stead when we play slightly less talented teams (or expensive). Having said all that the West Ham way is to now play like amateurs and lose 4-0 to Chelsea.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Retrospective action for Delph surely? They scored from the same phase of play as the freekick they got for the dive....
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

bowltorious wrote:Retrospective action for Delph surely? They scored from the same phase of play as the freekick they got for the dive....
Isn't that only for dives that win penalties?
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

It was a good performance defensively, with a lot of discipline.

What i would say is, its easier to do that when that is the game plan (i.e. get men behind the ball, stay in shape, frustrate the opponents). You're less inclined to lose shape and create gaps for the opposition to pick off.

However, the home matches against Chelsea and Arsenal might be different.

As the home side, you'd hope to see more of an attacking intent from us; and if we do, that will naturally give the opposition a lot more gaps and space to play in.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

[quote="[HH]"dunno about light at the end of the tunnel but at least we now have a tunnel. :crest:
Watford - We had golden chances with Kouyate. Could have had 4.
Leicester - A team we've not beaten forever, it was one way traffic in the second half.
Everton - WOEFUL first half. Much improved second. Everything went against us. Penalty miss sealed the game.

I personally think everyone has been ridiculously harsh on Moyes from before he was appointed.

We're playing better. We're keeping the ball better; I think we're transitioning play better. We're finally creating chances and openings out of movement, as opposed to benefiting from opposition mistakes/deflections. We've just been let down by the midfield not tracking runners and shoddy defending.

Fitness doesn't just happen overnight. It takes weeks for physiological adaptations to occur, and the previous management team left this team way off the pace of professional standards. Add to that, the gaffer hasn't had a full selection of players to pick from. We're gonna be bottom at Christmas & new year, but that's due to not beating teams in the bottom half.

We have from 23rd December to 3rd Feb:
Newcastle
Bournemouth
Spurs
West Brom
Huddersfield
Bournemouth
Palace
Brighton

We'll know by Feb if we're dead and buried, but I'm confident we'll be staying up.[/quote]

One thing we have to keep in mind is all the rest of the bottom 11 have played 7 matches at home, most of them have played 8. We have played 6. 7 points from 6 matches at home isn’t great, but it’s a lot better than the 3 points we’ve managed from 9 on the road. If Moyes and co get some of the lengthy list of injured back and working like the group out there today, I too think we’ll be staying up.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

m-h wrote:Adrian, not only the saves but has been vocal the whole match in encouraging and organizing the back line :thup:

This.

And the freekick that ultimately led to the winning goal was a terrible dive from Delph.

But proud of the performance. And how sweet it would have been to see Sakho's late effort creep inside the post.
Hamburger
Has liked: 848 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Hamburger »

We bossed the midfield first half, something we have not done all season. Then we sat deeper in the second half trying to protect our lead. De Bruyne was virtually unmarked most of the second half which was ridiculous. It's a shame, we were so close to getting something but we never seem to be able to close a game down, just try and protect a slender lead. It's a confidence thing but hopefully we can take some positives from this match and build some much needed confidence.

For me Rice has to start regularly, it's no coincidence that we are tighter when he plays. Kouyate has lost the plot, gone from hero to zero in a season.