Man City 2-1 West Ham United (03/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Re: Man City v West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by Colours never run »

Neither goal led to a Rice error yesterday. The outrageous dive by Delph fooled the Ref and he almost got to the ball when Otamemdi steamed in.

For the 2nd, that was more down to being undone by pure brilliance by the quality of the ball from De Bruyne and the improvised stunning kung fu kick finish by Silva.

Beyond that, he littered the game with excellent worl defensively against the best side in the division.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

You could attribute some blame to Rice, but it wasn’t as if he had a major cock up, who blocked the cross? Who tracked Silva’s run? Could Adrian have come to claim the cross?

I’d get if it was a complete blunder, or even Ogbonna missing the clearance against Leicester but this was hardly entirely on his shoulders.

Reid and Ogbonna have been more culpable this season for me, and Fonte is a walking penalty.
Javram

Post by Javram »

TheKippaxYears wrote:City fan here, who occasionally passes through. In peace, lads.
Yes, you parked the bus yesterday, but what else were you going to do? Go toe-to-toe with us and get tonked like Stoke, 7-2? I don't think so. No, we'll just have to get used to it. Not wild about some of the time wasting, though, to be honest.
If you fight like that, with that spirit, you'll be alright. Do us a favour, though, would you? Do it to the others, as well. It's good for you,[it's good for us :wink: ].
Zab had an excellent game for you. Next year brings up my fifty years of being a City supporter. In my time, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a player more loved at our place. I know he's not always been great for you this season, but he's always capable of turning in a performance. Show him love, as we do.
See you at your place, in April.
Sigh get over yourself. you lot now sound as arrogant as your Manc bretheren. if you spend more on your defence than our entire team with you oil money i think your entitled to win a lot of games!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

TheKippaxYears wrote:City fan here, who occasionally passes through. In peace, lads.
Yes, you parked the bus yesterday, but what else were you going to do? Go toe-to-toe with us and get tonked like Stoke, 7-2? I don't think so. No, we'll just have to get used to it. Not wild about some of the time wasting, though, to be honest.
Parked what bus? We were leading at half time, and patently knackered early on in the 2nd (we're not a fit team, which partially contributes to our league position).

Your mob did plenty of time-wasting after you took the lead.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

DasNutNock wrote:
Parked what bus? We were leading at half time, and patently knackered early on in the 2nd (we're not a fit team, which partially contributes to our league position).

Your mob did plenty of time-wasting after you took the lead.

100%

Fairly certain we attacked before scoring, after scoring and even going behind. I'd be embarrassed as a City fan seeing my team struggle so much to beat a team like ours in our current **** state with the players they've got at home.

Particularly liked the bit where Sane was ordered by Guardiola to leave the pitch at the furthest point possible, as well as all the subs dragging their feet off the field of play.
Patito

Post by Patito »

somerset-hammer wrote:

Of coarse there were positives, not many are disputing that Patito, but it's hardly light at the end of the tunnel stuff, is it?
I think Bill is tbh :D

I think it is, we play like that against Arsenal and we'll get at least a point IMO.
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

Find Man City fans decent, in general. But when they slag Bubbles off I really get the hump. They've been singing Blue Moon since about 1987. Our fans were singing Bubbles 60 years previous to that.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Patito wrote:I think it is, we play like that against Arsenal and we'll get at least a point IMO.
You're an optimist eh mate?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

TheKippaxYears wrote:Not wild about some of the time wasting, though, to be honest.
agreed.
you could have easily scored a third and a fourth, instead you wasted time near the corner flag, like we were the unbeaten team and you were the **** one.
actually, it was amusing for how ridiculous it was, but i understand you may have not liked it.

TheKippaxYears wrote:See you at your place, in April.
ain't our place pal. we are merely allowed in. most of the times.
Patito

Post by Patito »

fjthegrey wrote: You're an optimist eh mate?

As blind an optimist as you'll probably find.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I just read, in the cafe, that, if City win next weekend, they will have accumulated 46 points, from 16 games; enough for a club to finish top half after 38 matches last term!

And what I cannot understand about them, in light of this and similar statistics, is that they are clearly struggling to fill all their seats for 'bread and butter' league fixtures. I can just about understand Baggies or Stoke fans staying away, if, for instance, their team is playing badly.

But City are in scintillating, record-breaking, form and still they cannot apparently sling up the 'ground full' signs.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2409 likes
Total likes: 2619 likes

Post by sendô »

If you fight like that, with that spirit, you'll be alright. Do us a favour, though, would you? Do it to the others, as well. It's good for you,[it's good for us :wink: ].
Zab had an excellent game for you. Next year brings up my fifty years of being a City supporter. In my time, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a player more loved at our place. I know he's not always been great for you this season, but he's always capable of turning in a performance. Show him love, as we do.
See you at your place, in April.
Yawn.

You must have missed us taking the lead then, or Jesus getting booked right at the end for kicking the ball away three times.

You should learn to take it as a compliment that teams adapt their playing styles to attempt to nullify yours, but you cannot say that West Ham did not attempt to get a draw or even a win from that.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

ludo22 wrote:Maybe it's taken a bit of time for the Moyes effect to kick in?Unlikely but I'm hopeful.
i think this is the first time i've ever read "the moyes effect" expressed as a positive.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

somerset-hammer wrote:The thing that worries me, is the possibility that Moyes may have found his blueprint yesterday, on how we play for the rest of the season.
I'd far rather we played like that than how we played at Man Utd or against Brighton. That was a good solid defensive performance with good set pieces and decent counterattacking and that's pretty much how Leicester won the league. However admittedly they had a lot more pace, clinical finishing, a midfield wizard and a midfield dynamo, still all this park the bus stuff is BS.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Harry Hound wrote:

"somerset-hammer"]The thing that worries me, is the possibility that Moyes may have found his blueprint yesterday, on how we play for the rest of the season.

I'd far rather we played like that than how we played at Man Utd or against Brighton. That was a good solid defensive performance with good set pieces and decent counterattacking and that's pretty much how Leicester won the league. However admittedly they had a lot more pace, clinical finishing, a midfield wizard and a midfield dynamo, still all this park the bus stuff is BS.
One thing I immediately saw was the two banks of 4 in front of the keeper when defending. It's classic defensive tactics to make it difficult for the opposition to score and is why even Championship teams, lesser teams generally indeed, can compete against far better teams. It's basic stuff but something I haven't seen since Allardyce's time and very likely why our defending got progressively worse as the players lost that formerly ingrained instinct. I don't want to get into manager bating as I have mixed feelings on our last 3, but in this case if a team is incapable of carrying out and maintaining that simple tactic when required, then it's difficult to see how you can expect anything but regular drubbings and perhaps more notably late goals as things get nervous and players tired. The one on Sunday was absolutely the exception that proved the rule in that regard. Such defensive intelligence doesn't in itself make you a defensive or negative side per se either as Leicester proved. People kept going on about individual mistakes but the point of Being well organised is that you reduce the debilitating power of any such mistake to negatively effect the team. The greatest reason we have sunk to this point is that the team together and as individuals has lost all confidence in its power and ability to stop losing. That is massively debilitating and only generates more individual errors. Catch 22.
Humbug
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Humbug »

I think we still need another left back, 2 central defenders , 2 good midfielders and another pacy physically strong attacker. Imho, Cresswell should have done a lot better to stop that cross for the 1st goal (that went through his legs). Not really sure what he was trying to do tbh because all he had to do was stay close and block the space for a cross. Maybe I am being a bit too harsh but imho, he is one of several players that need more competition to keep their place in the 1st team because Masuaku is not a good enough defender to replace him (and who is fast becoming our best left winger).
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

Humbug wrote:I think we still need another left back, 2 central defenders , 2 good midfielders and another pacy physically strong attacker. Imho, Cresswell should have done a lot better to stop that cross for the 1st goal (that went through his legs). Not really sure what he was trying to do tbh because all he had to do was stay close and block the space for a cross. Maybe I am being a bit too harsh but imho, he is one of several players that need more competition to keep their place in the 1st team because Masuaku is not a good enough defender to replace him (and who is fast becoming our best left winger).
Getting in 2 central defenders would be a catastrophe for any emergence of youth - we have bags of potential lined up here. Getting in 2 more experienced players would kill that immediately.
Imo, the guys that are there can show the ropes to the youngsters.
Rice showed what he can do when given a chance and then there is Oxford and Burke.
I may get shouted down here, "because we need to survive before thinking about any of this", but personally I would prefer us to give it a shot, and take a few risks on youth...and I don't even think that they would be huge risks.

Ironically, everyone is investing hugely in academies and never even using them :?

Everyone in the league plays with fear of financial devastation or dreams of financial reward, and it's screwed up the heart of English football!

And breath...
Colours never run

Under intense pressures to stay up and produce from the off, we should be looking for experienced quality rather than inexperienced quality. Relying on kids should we be right down there is not the answer. It's Lucas Neill types that'll help us stay up. Beginning of a season or after racking up plemty of points away from danger it's a different and you can use them more but not in our current desperate predicament. Too many kids promoted, they'll get found out instantly as this level is ruthless.

It's characters with an unshakeable mentality that'll sort us out if anyone.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

So in summary, Man City needed a late goal and a smattering of cheating/good fortune to beat the side second from bottom of the league, who also didn't have their two main strikers fit. Conclusion - Guardiola is a genius, f**k off.
Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Lord Zoltan »

Wheres the West Ham v Chelsea thread? can't see it?

Need to know about injuries