Transfer Window: January 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: January transfer window

Post by HammerAl »

Bramwell wrote:DM talked about an 'imbalanced squad' and - for me - the biggest problem is the number of "he's not really that, he's more this" type of player we've signed over the last 18 months. I like Andre Ayew, but he's not a striker and he's not an out-and-out midfielder. And he hasn't got the pace to play wide. Pre-new-contract Antonio didn't seem a true winger/wide player to me, nor did Feghouli. I've seen people criticise Hernandez for not tracking back or looking busy, but - to me - he's what a striker SHOULD be.

The same is even more true of our midfield - Obiang, Cheik and Noble have all played DM, but none of them have that in their armoury.

Reminds me of the England cricket team, past and present - lots of all-rounders but no pace (except with GSB at the helm, plenty of spin!).
Top post. Too many players brought in to be versatile rather than give them a spot in the first XI and make the position their own. Trying to cover as many bases they can with one purchase.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

ashbanki wrote:Club are blaming a "slow moving Moyes" for a lack of signings so far!
http://www.claretandhugh.info/slow-movi ... e-targets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not digging you directly, ash, but why do people keep clicking on Hugh Southon's site.

We all know he's just a ventriloquist's dummy, Shirley?
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

And just as worrying is what is happening to Rice. Already had to play in about five different positions. Hopefully he doesn't get messed around too much just because he is versatile.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

OnePaulHilton wrote:And just as worrying is what is happening to Rice. Already had to play in about five different positions. Hopefully he doesn't get messed around too much just because he is versatile.
At this stage of his career I think any first team experience will be beneficial. If he only played CB he'd probably only have 3-4 games for us now, rather than the 16 he has.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

I know Chicharito well and he needs balls in the box
- David Moyes

... not sure which way to read that
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Moyes - "We've made bids, they've been turned down but I wouldn't tell you about that." :)
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I don’t think he meant sexually
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

DDHammer wrote:Moyes - "We've made bids, they've been turned down but I wouldn't tell you about that." :)
2 Million for Harry Arter or whatever it was definitely isn't worth shouting about
Duff
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Duff »

DDHammer wrote:Moyes - "We've made bids, they've been turned down but I wouldn't tell you about that." :)
The old derogatory bid trick again, cheeky.
djoe

Post by djoe »

toppost by Bramwell

The biggest problem with this club is that there is no vision for the future. Only thing that is important for G&S is to stay in the Premiership in the cheapest way possible.

There is no philosophy at all. We sign players for an other formation then we eventually going to play.
Managers come and go and all play differently.

From my point off view a club should have an identity. A way of playing (4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or whatever just a blueprint) and stick with it no matter who's the manager, and sign players who fit that blueprint.

Not players like Ayew who aint a bad player but whats his best position ?
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Our song is the bubbles our squad is bubble & squeak.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Does the board waste the first 20 days of the window wth derisory bids?
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

djoe wrote: From my point off view a club should have an identity. A way of playing (4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or whatever just a blueprint) and stick with it no matter who's the manager, and sign players who fit that blueprint.
I know what you mean and it is why especially on the continent a club has a director of football because managers rarely stick around for any length of time.
Typically, in the UK, when a new manager comes in, he wants to change everything to match his methods. The trouble with this approach is that it creates a lot of disturbance, not to mention the cost of it all (assuming that the manager is backed of course!) as when the manager leaves, he leaves his mess (potentially) behind him.
If there is a director of football, he can buy for the good of the club, because when the manager leaves, the club is still there and the players still fit that model.
There are of course exceptions, like Wenger, Ferguson, Moyes at Everton...but essentially it does create a lot of turbulence.

On the other hand, it's not that easy...Barcelona, of course do it and don't seem obliged to get in superstar managers because the setup is there (Guardiola was unknown as a manager when he took the helm for example).

I think it's a good idea, but not as easy as it sounds to put into place...
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote:Does the board waste the first 20 days of the window wth derisory bids?
they clearly do not want another 11m snodgrass , there doesnt seem to be a great deal of activity anywhere .

will be down to the last few days again .

it would be nice to get a good signing in early just to boost everybody concerned .
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote:Does the board waste the first 20 days of the window wth derisory bids?
If we bid £5m for Arter I wouldn't call that derisory. He looks like a player worth about £7-8m to me. I'd question what the point of signing him is at all, but I wouldn't call the bid derisory!
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

ashbanki wrote:Club are blaming a "slow moving Moyes" for a lack of signings so far!
http://www.claretandhugh.info/slow-movi ... e-targets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where does it say The 'Club' are blaming Moyes for anything??

Whilst C&H usually spout utter tripe all they have done is rehash what is published in Moyes column in The Standard.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

believe me , you'll all feel much better if you come off twitter and the like . SM takes over your life , you become desperate for somebody to ' like' the sh** you write , when in reality it is utter sh**, the amount of people with football news sites is incredible , and in all honesty , most of them pointless . I suppose if you like abusing DG then its the place for you .
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Sully always waits until the last minute, he is playing with fire this time though.

If we get ( and that's a very big if ) any reinforcements signed by the time Sully takes his finger out we will already have played Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Palace and Brighton and our fate might already have been sealed.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

hammerdivone wrote:Where does it say The 'Club' are blaming Moyes for anything??
It doesn't of course, but now that slant has been made it will become holy writ to some.
The first paragraph of the article is interesting:
“West Ham boss David Moyes has still not given the green light to advance on any transfer window targets.”
Implication - Moyes has the final say?
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

ageing hammer wrote:Sully always waits until the last minute, he is playing with fire this time though. If we get (and that's a very big if ) any reinforcements signed by the time Sully takes his finger out we will already have played Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Palace and Brighton and our fate might already have been sealed.
A good point and a worrying one.
Of course, this window will no doubt keep Jim White to the fore by the domino effect on the last day or two.