Transfer Window: January 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Re: January transfer window

Post by HamburgHammer »

Sullivan will always find a reason to keep the chequebook away...
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’m not 100% sure Benitez would be what we need anymore.
Condorhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Condorhammer »

How long before the diminuative cockknocker reminds us that Arnie was one of his picks?
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Georgee Paris wrote:I’m not 100% sure Benitez would be what we need anymore.
I agree, but for me I wouldnt be surprised if discussion/agreement wasnt reached post Bilic pre Moyes. The 6 month contract, lack of spend (now) and silence on supporting and/or congratulating Moyes on his recent success raises my suspicions.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Fantastic result today, which as others have mentioned is tempered by the fact that Sullivan will feel no need to fund more signings, even though we are only 5 points above the drop. I feel we could make 2-3 decent signings without spending too much.

Schurrle, cover for LW, RW, and ST: loan
Dendoncker, CDM we have been crying out for for years: £25m
Shelvey, CM cover: £12m
Kone, CB cover: loan

Sell Sakho for £10-15m, possibly Ayew for £15-20m or Carroll for £15m.

We have added 3-4 quality players (jury out on Kone) for very little or no net spend. Not unrealistic at all but unfortunately don’t think it will happen.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

HoustonHammer24 wrote: Kone, CB cover: loan
Not meaning to pick on you mate but it baffles me that his name keeps coming up.

He’s poor and his whole reputation comes down to a short spell under Sam (when many defenders look good). If we think we need a CB then let’s do it properly rather than spend twice as much in he long term on short term fixes.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Diogenes wrote: I agree, but for me I wouldnt be surprised if discussion/agreement wasnt reached post Bilic pre Moyes. The 6 month contract, lack of spend (now) and silence on supporting and/or congratulating Moyes on his recent success raises my suspicions.
Pezza suggested something similar the other day. I do hope this isn’t the case. I’m afraid Rafa is a cheque book Manager now. We would probably get him, Geordies get Moyes - they get backers and finish in Europe and we are in another relegation battle
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

hammer1975 wrote:
"HoustonHammer24"
Kone, CB cover: loan

Not meaning to pick on you mate but it baffles me that his name keeps coming up.

He’s poor and his whole reputation comes down to a short spell under Sam (when many defenders look good). If we think we need a CB then let’s do it properly rather than spend twice as much in he long term on short term fixes.
Didn't see any today mind. Very un-Allardyce like.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Beggars belief that Sullivan would chase Benitez with no intension of spending money but we know from past experience he is precisely conceited enough to do just that.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Didn't someone say earlier that Sullivan was holding back the chequebook because he was afraid he would spend money and THEN we would go down? As in it would be money wasted?

If that is true, is it possible we might see some movement now that we are looking much safer?
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

I think we can wait until the summer to address the defence. The way we set up with 5 at the back and the personnel we have right now, I think we are ok until the summer.

January (as everyone keeps saying) is an extremely tough window to navigate, for that reason (being realistic) I’d really love us to add two in modfeld, one creative, one defensive both good on the ball. Partially offset that outlay by getting rid of the wantaway Sakho. That would get us set for a top 10 finish and we can address the squad properly in the summer.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Reading moyes column in the standard yesterday it seems he's not in any rush to sign anyone unless antonios injury is long term
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

hammer1975 wrote:

He’s poor and his whole reputation comes down to a short spell under Sam (when many defenders look good). If we think we need a CB then let’s do it properly rather than spend twice as much in he long term on short term fixes.[/quote]

Completely agree, I’m not a huge fan at all. I am just trying to think of signings that we could make with minimal outlay, to appeal to the owners. I think he would be okay as cover only, and his flaws would be less noticeable in a back 3. Spend big on a decent CB in the summer, or give youth a chance with Rice, Burke, or Oxford.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

hammernsickle wrote:Didn't someone say earlier that Sullivan was holding back the chequebook because he was afraid he would spend money and THEN we would go down? As in it would be money wasted?

If that is true, is it possible we might see some movement now that we are looking much safer?

Erm, no. Look like we are going down = too risky to spend. Look like we are staying up = no need to spend.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

hammernsickle wrote:Didn't someone say earlier that Sullivan was holding back the chequebook because he was afraid he would spend money and THEN we would go down? As in it would be money wasted?

You silly bear.

20th-14th - "We can't spend, it's too risky in case we go down"
13th-8th - "We're safe, let's save the budget for the summer"
7th-5th - "Let's no disrupt a good group with additions in January"
4th-1st - "It's tough to improve such a strong squad, we don't want to just add depth"
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

You forgot our level of debt and FFP rules.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

hammernsickle wrote:
You are new to all of this aren't you.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Beat Bournemouth and Sullivan will be off to Marbella for a fortnight.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

The mirror are saying we are aster Tom Davies from Everton, and a couple of the other red tops are saying Fellaini and Dendoncker and the ever present Shelvey links. Two of those 4 would do us nicely, but I would like Andre Gomes over all of them.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

carnage wrote:Beat Bournemouth and Sullivan will be off to Marbella for a fortnight.
beat shrewsbury and bournmouth and I'll gladly drive him to benidorm to enjoy his retirement