West Ham Utd 0-0 Arsenal (13/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: West Ham United v Arsenal: Match Thread

Post by The Gibbins »

Should be an interesting match, i cannot see a clean sheet in this one personally as Arsenal are persistent in possession and will break through eventually if we sit in. I think this could be a high scoring match as this Arsenal side leave massive gaps when they are on the front foot, like they did against Man Utd and Southampton, though Southampton lacked any ambition to get forward. I just hope if it is a high score we share some of the goal this time round :oops:

I am going to go for an optimistic 2-2 draw
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I seem to remember that Arsenal took our defence apart once when we played 3 at the back. We changed back to 4 at half-time and it completely changed the game. Possibly the game where Carroll scored his hat-trick?
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I seem to remember that Arsenal took our defence apart once when we played 3 at the back. We changed back to 4 at half-time and it completely changed the game. Possibly the game where Carroll scored his hat-trick?
Correct - but bear in mind that was also when Antonio was playing RWB and it was at the Boleyn. Arsenals first two goals from identical overlaps on that side.

Tomkins then moved into RB and antonio moved to RW when we turned it around.

I would argue the OS bigger pitch means we must play the same system that worked so well against Chelsea and Citeh.

Arsenal do not like cold winter nights and physical battles. If we give them one then we have a chance. I would use the same starting XI. If Antonio starts to tire bring Chicha on.
happy.hooker

Post by happy.hooker »

Ladzini wrote:
Arsenal do not like cold winter nights and physical battles.
Hot water bottles out again.
sandbanks

Post by sandbanks »

I've just had an email from the Club asking if I wanted to buy tickets so they must have reached General Sale - either that or they've a lot on Ticket Trader that aren't shifting. I'm surprised that a derby under the lights made General Sale - especially after Saturday.
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 879 likes

Post by mushy »

sandbanks wrote:I've just had an email from the Club asking if I wanted to buy tickets so they must have reached General Sale - either that or they've a lot on Ticket Trader that aren't shifting. I'm surprised that a derby under the lights made General Sale - especially after Saturday.
Another TV game, a cold December night,plus the first season new stadium novelty is starting to wear off.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Couldn't make Chelsea so buzzing for this one, play like we did against Man City and Chelsea and we'll win this, same line-up, same intensity. 2-1 :scarfer:
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

Gotta be the same team?
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

They've scored 9 goals in 8 away matches. 5 of those against Everton.

Reasons to be cheerful?
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Another nice 1-0, thank you very much.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Please not the same as against Chelski for reasons already stated (Arsenal would take us apart from the flanks as we concentrated purely on the centre).

Also not sure the Pea is right for the Arse unless we stamp our authority on the game. Speed is of the essence. I was impressed with Sakho's work rate against City but he didn't get into the last game. If he doesn't turn up on Wednesday night its his last game in our colours and he only has 45 minutes to prove himself - summink like that. Risky, I know and almost everybody hates Sakho but he can play a blinder and work his socks off. Let's see whether Moyes can rekindle that kind of spirit in him.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

I know this is wrong from a footballing perspective but I'd really like us to get Arsenal into a physical nasty match so that they don't get any attacking momentum. Whatever frailties they have in defence , they more than make up for it in attack. The difference with defending deep against Arsenal is the ability of players like Wilshere and Sanchez to do little chip passes to unlock a packed defence. We've really got to go in hard on Wilshere and Sanchez and frustrate them.
trevshead10may1980

Post by trevshead10may1980 »

I have hated scum Arsenal with a passion for 50 years, please lads stuff them for me. I would keep the same team and sub Ayew for Antonio when he gets knackered.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Arsenals season is already drifting , 17 points off the top of the PL means they won't be seeing that trophy at the Emirates yet .That will be, what, 13 inglorious years ?

Wednesday night is set for a cracker , a likely freezing cold night , the start of the Christmas programme in which managers and some players find the toughest part of the season .Mid winter break ? No thank you , let's see who wants it .

I'm expecting some changes to their line up with Ramsey, Walcott and Wilshere all possible starters .If Welbeck is fit, I'd expect him to feature .If the BFG is in the centre of their defence I'd quite like to see Lanzini buzzing around his feet - there's a penalty waiting to happen .

If Antonio has his breath back I'd go with the same starting XI we had against Chelsea if for no other reason than sending the other players the message that to break into a winning team should be hard .

If we want it more than them, we'll win , but it really is all about application and heart .They have a squad stuffed with players in the comfort zone, good contracts, nice environment and a cuddly manager who is approaching the age and stage of being the bloke sat in the corner smelling of wee on Christmas day .

We'll certainly find out who among our players wants to fight for the right to wear the shirt .

Who wants it ?

2-0 to us , and the best night yet at the stadium .
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

same team for me. don't change a winning team. need to be in there faces straight off. don't let them settle into there passing triangles pattern.
can see arnie being up for this and producing again. hes the hard nasty player we lack. channel him in the right way with workrate and commitment and we have a player. he is turning it around for sure.

carroll on for last 10 mins to batter them further

2-0 hammers and out of the R zone
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Tight, aggressive.

Their tight shape should suit our closed formation.
They need to win, to stay in touch. Give Özil and Sanchez a few good tackles early doors, rile Xhaka or whoever plays in midfield up, and we'll have an edge on them.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

It doesn't take much for the confidence to come flooding back for some on here does it?

I agree that we have a decent chance in this match, but they are still a much better team with us with much better players, and barring the last couple of matches we have generally been abysmal this season. A draw would be a very good result and keep the forward momentum going.
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

szola wrote:Tight, aggressive.

Their tight shape should suit our closed formation.
They need to win, to stay in touch. Give Özil and Sanchez a few good tackles early doors, rile Xhaka or whoever plays in midfield up, and we'll have an edge on them.
Agreed plus Moyes should take out Wenger with a Glasgow kiss, followed by a shocking 2 footed lunge by Pearce on Bould
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

swash wrote: Agreed plus Moyes should take out Wenger with a Glasgow kiss, followed by a shocking 2 footed lunge by Pearce on Bould
Pearce v Bould, now that is something I would love to see.

Maybe we need to have our very own tunnel bust-up; can't have Jose taking all the plaudits!
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I’d be telling Masuaku and Lanzini to run at their centre backs relentlessly. Get the ball to feet and charge aimlessly into the box until they tackle you or take you down.

West Ham 3-0 Arsenal,

Noble Pen 21, Noble Pen 62, Noble Pen 84

Mertesacker Red Card 62