How's it all going to end?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: How's it all going to end?

Postby Pob! on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 am

21 points from that lot should be achieved leaving us in 12th place.
Pob!

Postby ironilunga on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:43 am

I personally like the look of our run in. 9 home and 7 away and a bunch of games coming up that could really propel us up the table.

I dont think we will be relegated. Beyond that I am sure that Moyes has not ruled out getting us as high as 7th. After our appalling start I actually think we might finish 8th, which is our par position.
ironilunga

Postby carnage on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:57 am

I think we will be comfortably top 10.
carnage

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:02 am

We need 6 wins. Or 5 and 3 draws. 18 points basically.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby miles on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:05 am

With Mark Noble lifting the FA Cup.
miles
This site...

Postby Elmo'sIronBorn on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:19 am

Like a bubble floating from a machine reaching no higher than the corner flag in a soulless bowl, only to fall back down with its foamy brothers to fade and die on a fake green sheet covering a running track.....
we won't go down but it won't be pretty
Elmo'sIronBorn

Postby hammerman11 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 am

next 5 league games will decide our season. do well with 4 wins at least and we will be looking upwards in the top 10 and push on. less than 5 points and we are in a real negative downward struggle.

first option I reckon.

COYI
hammerman11

Postby Calverley Hammer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:59 am

38 points - a point a game - I believe there are 3 worse teams so see us finishing 16th
Calverley Hammer

Postby hammer1975 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:09 am

I’m surprised that so many have such confidence that we’ll kick on and not be looking over our shoulder until the last game of the season. The teams down the bottom half have all shown they can beat each other and it’s all still incredibly close.

i still feel like we’ve only looked convincing in the 2nd half against Stoke when playing the teams outside the top six. The manager hasn’t yet found a style or blend that looks convincing for games where we have to attack, and when we do attack we look exposed straight down the middle on quick counters as well as behind Zabaleta. Every team we play clearly knows this and noticeably plays to those weaknesses.

We could just as easily finish 17th-18th on 35 points as 11th on 45 points. My fear is the former and the approach to this window is definitely making me nervous. Obviously would prefer the more optimistic result and a bit of investment (in positions we’ll need to invest in the summer in any case) would make a big difference imo.

My negative outlook may also be influenced by my frustration with the owners - despite the slight upturn in league position I still 100% want them to **** off. Had we invested in the summer appropriately we’d be sitting comfortably top half imo.
hammer1975

Postby btajim - mcfc on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 am

Do you think you’ll do much business in the transfer window? Moyes only being on a six month deal may not attract players because of stability / long term.

You’ve done better than I thought you would when he was appointed. It’ll be a scrap down there but you’ll do enough to stay up comfortably. Build from there.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 am

hammerman11 wrote:next 5 league games will decide our season. do well with 4 wins at least and we will be looking upwards in the top 10 and push on. less than 5 points and we are in a real negative downward struggle.

first option I reckon.

COYI

This is west ham we are talking about. It won't be an easy route.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:37 am

btajim - mcfc wrote:Do you think you’ll do much business in the transfer window? Moyes only being on a six month deal may not attract players because of stability / long term.

You’ve done better than I thought you would when he was appointed. It’ll be a scrap down there but you’ll do enough to stay up comfortably. Build from there.

They don’t though Jim. Build, I mean.

I share Hammer 1975’s puzzlement that people seem to think we’re out of the woods.

Having said that our saving grace may be that this is (outside of a few teams like yours obviously) an awful league, and we are just one of many of its poor, poor teams so the law of averages may help us. :)
DaveWHU1964

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:40 am

Since the August transfer window closed after the first three, we've been 11th on form. Since the start of December, we're 8th.

Over the last six weeks our results have become better on direct comparison to almost every set of opposition that we've played.

Draws v Leicester and Bournemouth were defeats last time out. A win against WBA replaces a draw, a close run thing v Newcastle replaces a 0-3 thrashing. Then the obvious five points v Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs replace the nil points - while Man City away was a proper contest rather than a walkover.

If we maintain this, we'll finish top half. The fixtures are loaded towards home games, minimal travel for the team and the dates against the "big" clubs could fall quite kindly,

The difference between 9th and 17th is £16m in prize money. That's a very good right wing back.
bubbles1966

Postby btajim - mcfc on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:45 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:They don’t though Jim. Build, I mean.

I share Hammer 1975’s puzzlement that people seem to think we’re out of the woods.

Having said that our saving grace may be that this is (outside of a few teams like yours obviously) an awful league, and we are just one of many of its poor, poor teams so the law of averages may help us. :)

I can’t predict who will go down this season because it’s too close to call but I think West Ham will scrape through. There have been some good results already.

Swansea, Bournemouth and West Brom perhaps. Who knows?
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:46 am

9th.

If Everton stand fast, 10th.

If Soton buck up as well, 11th.

The glass is half full.
Monkeybubbles

Postby westlondonhammer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 am

Highest will be 8th

Lowest i think we'll finish is 12th

A typical west ham season...enough for Moyes to keep his job
westlondonhammer

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:11 pm

btajim - mcfc wrote:I can’t predict who will go down this season because it’s too close to call but I think West Ham will scrape through. There have been some good results already.

If I had to guess I think we will scrape through and yes there have been some good results. But.

Prior to Tottenham we played three of the worse teams in the league. Beaten at home by Newcastle and we could easily have conceded six at 'home' - I doubt another team in the league will have fans who say the same about the Geordies this season. We drew at Bournemouth and were unlucky with their dodgy equaliser but that doesn't mask that until late on we were barely in that game and can to that extent count ourselves lucky to get a point. West Brom were awful - against just about any other team in the league we'd have been three down at half time. Against just about any other team our improvement would not have been improvement enough to have won that game. Then Tottenham. A valiant, valiant organised effort but teams who normally cede so much territory don't normally come away with anything.

I'm not trying to slant this and all points gratefully received, but just trying to illustrate that the margins involved are incredibly, incredibly thin. I hope others are right and that we are in for a dull, unexciting, mid-table finish but at the moment our scraping home (if it happens) will be more down to the deficiencies of the likes of Stoke, WBA, Bournemouth and Swansea rather than us being a half decent team.

Having said all that it would take two good new players to make us far more comfortable. Having said that injuries to either Lanzini or Arthur in addition to Arnie's (when is he back?) and predictions of 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th will look like pie in the sky as we just wouldn't be able to counter attack let alone carry games to teams. If I had to guess then I think that the former is more likely than the latter. Thin, thin margins down here Jim as you'll appreciate from a previous lifetime of supporting City :)
DaveWHU1964

Postby Patito on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:9th.

If Everton stand fast, 10th.

If Soton buck up as well, 11th.

The glass is half full.

Yeah half full of gin :D
Patito

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:28 pm

It's all pretty much of a muchness from 9th [ Everton ] downwards , Burnley have been this year's ' surprise package ' so in effect it could have been anyone occupying 7th [ no disrespect to Burnley ] , Leicester have shown enough consistency to climb into 8th , at the moment we have all the promoted teams lying above us all in a tight little group - History shows that at least one promoted team plummets come the end part of the season but Brighton at least have shown the resolution required to remain part of the Premier League next season , if I had to put a large bet on the team to have their wings clipped it would be Huddersfield -

Since Everton we seem to have put a stop to the 4-0 thrashings but there has been a price to pay - before Slaven Bilic was eventually dismissed I used to say [ repeatedly ] ' Why doesn't he go back to the ' Arsenal Away tactics ' , the Manchester City Away tactics ' of 2015 which brought him so much success ? ' , well , it seems that Slaven was either too proud to employ those tactics or he was under pressure to play better football , now under Moyes we're getting those backs to the wall strategies without the breakaway football Bilic employed and while it's getting the results it's frustrating to watch . But , hey , it's all about ' Premiership Survival ' isn't it , the alternative is ' Armageddon ' .

If we can sign that elusive Defensive Midfielder and add a more creative midfielder / winger along with a mobile striker we could pip Everton to 9th or finish 10th .

The Only Way Is Up , Baby .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:34 pm

12th

I can see us above-
Hudds
Palace
Brighton
Watford

Its not was promised when we left our home though. :thdn:
westham,eggyandchips