V.A.R.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: V.A.R.

Postby Slacking student on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 pm

I saw that RARS, amazing scenes.

Varcical you might say
Slacking student

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Mainz 05 awarded penalty at half-time by VAR with players already in dressing room

A penalty was awarded after players had already left the pitch for half-time in Mainz's Bundesliga win over relegation rivals Freiburg on Monday.

Referee Guido Winkmann called both sides back from the dressing room after consulting the video assistant referee (VAR) system and penalising Freiburg for handball.

Mainz midfielder Pablo de Blasis scored the penalty to put the hosts 1-0 up.

The second half was delayed by fans throwing toilet paper onto the pitch.

It was not related to the penalty decision but instead a protest against Bundesliga fixtures being played on Monday nights.

Mainz initially had the penalty appeal turned down after right-back Daniel Brosinski's cross deflected off Freiburg centre-back Marc-Oliver Kempf's hand and was saved by keeper Alexander Schwolow.

As the players departed the pitch, Winkmann was told to consult VAR and ran over to the other side of the pitch to watch the replay on a monitor.

Winkmann overturned the decision and awarded the hosts a penalty before having to recall the entire Freiburg side and the handful of Mainz players who had left the pitch.

Following a delay of over six minutes De Blasis scored the penalty in the bottom left corner and Winkmann blew again for half-time, during which the unfortunate Kempf was substituted.

more...
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby OFT on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:56 pm

,Did any of them come out eating blood oranges?
OFT

Postby e17 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 am

Amazed there were none already “doing a Robbie Savage” in the toilet

Is anyone on here still claiming VAR is making football better???
e17

Postby only1post on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:49 am

V.A.R replays to be shown on screens at The World Cup.
only1post

Postby sanchoz on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:13 am

only1post wrote:V.A.R replays to be shown on screens at The World Cup.

Only after a decision has been made as the fear is showing live replays and the crowds reaction will have a potential influence on the decision that gets taken.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby only1post on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 am

So the ref reviews, decides, restarts the game and only then the fans in the stadium get to see why the decision was made.
Would this not have a significant effect on the atmosphere.
only1post

Postby only1post on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:11 pm

No Bournemouth equaliser, Grady would have won a penalty.....

It's coming
only1post

Postby goa127 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:33 pm

I've just read the news it's coming in next season. It's going to kill the excitement of scoring. However we do seem to have suffered heavily from bad refereeing decisions. The one that sticks in my mind was away at arsenal in a relegation season. We had gone down to 10 men early in the game to a soft penalty on pires. Despite this we had equalised (defoe?) and were having the better of the game. Out on the touchline Bergkamp forced Lee Bowyer off the ball by elbowing him in the face. He immeadiately crossed the ball to Henry who scored. Bergkamp was later retrospectively banned for deliberate use of the elbow. With VAR the goal would not have stood and Bergkamp would have been red carded. With about 10 minutes left on the clock the chances are we would have secured a point. After all our yesterdays rant I still don't want VAR!
goa127

Postby Coops on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:34 pm

I'm not a fan, the refs will still get things wrong in favour of the big clubs.VAR will slow the game down and diminish that moment of unparalleled joy the moment a goal goes in.
Coops

Postby goa127 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Coops wrote:I'm not a fan, the refs will still get things wrong in favour of the big clubs.VAR will slow the game down and diminish that moment of unparalleled joy the moment a goal goes in.

100%. It will increase conspiracy theories amongst digruntled fans as well
goa127

Postby umweb on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Coops wrote:I'm not a fan, the refs will still get things wrong in favour of the big clubs.VAR will slow the game down and diminish that moment of unparalleled joy the moment a goal goes in.

yep, exactly.

technically, it won't really solve anything.
it will just shift the controversy to somewhere else.
umweb

Postby e17 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:37 pm

It’s just one more extra step that takes the “elite” games further away from kids playing on Hackney Marshes

Why? What does it add to the entertainment of football? Over 100 years without it being needed

& even those who were big on its introduction went tellingly quiet during the World Cup when it clearly got quietly phased out of being used as much as possible by the knockouts because it was causing horrendous slow downs and creating controversy, not relieving it.

All just about money
e17

Postby OFT on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 pm

V.A.R. my Lord
V.A.R.
Oh Lord V.A.R.
OFT

Postby claretchris on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:32 pm

I just don't get it - yes, it may help the ref correct the odd howler, but the amount of grief they seem to get from the players and coaches calling for reviews on every decision totally outweighs any benefit.
claretchris

Postby k-r-c on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Apart from World Cup final i think it was, i thought it worked really well even if it can be slow.

It helps get to the correct decision which lets be honest we do seem to be on the wrong end of alot of the time.

At first i didn't want it, but having seen it used i am now for it.
k-r-c

Postby sanchoz on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Get the feeling though you will still get bulls**t decisions like this one every once in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlPIrEKFCeo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1:03 onwards (VAR correctly called the previous penalty in the video for Portugal, how the ref missed it though when he had clear sight of it)
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby Pulls up Trees on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:12 pm

It will just mean an increase in the amount the top clubs have to pay to officials to get them on their side.
Pulls up Trees

Postby steveyrockstar on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:49 pm

I disagree with most of the comments here. I thought VAR added a whole new layer of excitement at the WC.

And barring 2 or 3 absolute shockers (where the ref seemed compelled to change his mind by virtue of a call being made), I thought VAR was a success at the WC.
steveyrockstar

Postby mushy on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:56 pm

I reckon its at the request of the TV companies.
Another taking point to promote the product, and something else for the pundits to discuss when the quality of football is *****.
mushy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion