Vacancy at West Ham

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Vacancy at West Ham

Postby ginghamdress on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm

You lot must be the average West Ham fans that earn 60k a year, remember that?

The post is for a Media Officer (media office dogsbody) you always big up the ad.

I lead a team of 10 in a skilled NHS department in Birmingham, apart from me the highest paid is on just over £9 per hour, and despite what people say it's not that much cheaper up north, still it's all relative I suppose.
ginghamdress

Postby wildkard on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:35 pm

No shock. I’ve said it before, when I was offered a job at West Ham at about 10k under what I was currently earning I was told, and I quote, “it’s not about the money, it’s abot how much you want to work for West Ham”. Nothing has changed in 15 years or so.
wildkard

Postby wildkard on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:37 pm

ginghamdress wrote:You lot must be the average West Ham fans that earn 60k a year, remember that?

The post is for a Media Officer (media office dogsbody) you always big up the ad.

I lead a team of 10 in a skilled NHS department in Birmingham, apart from me the highest paid is on just over £9 per hour, and despite what people say it's not that much cheaper up north, still it's all relative I suppose.

I have two people that do an identical job who work for me. One in North London, one in Tamworth. Tamworth fella is on near enough half what the London fella is. Same level of experience, qualifications, the lot.
wildkard

Postby ginghamdress on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Well you're ripping the Tamworth fella off, nothing to be proud about, and I can promise you things are NOT 100% cheaper north of Watford as in your example.
ginghamdress

Postby upton o'good on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Up the Junction wrote:You will be responsible for the club's social media output and official statements - but we'll only pay you the basic London Living Wage (£9.75 p/hr).

The last line of this ad is the best....

http://www.mediargh.com/media-officer-vacancy-west-ham-united-london

Surely this is Sulley juniors job? He works harder than anyone he knows and he is always posting...
upton o'good

Postby mattyD on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 pm

jesus h christ. they basically want a media/comms manager..... for £9 an hour. never cease to amaze this lot.
mattyD

Postby wildkard on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:17 pm

ginghamdress wrote:Well you're ripping the Tamworth fella off, nothing to be proud about, and I can promise you things are NOT 100% cheaper north of Watford as in your example.

Wages not set by me. I’m just stating a fact. The people in the Tamworth office earn quite a bit less than the London lot, with the same skillset.

Long and short of it is that West Ham are taking the rise. As usual.
wildkard

Postby the pink palermo on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

£9.75 an hour you say ?

Im tempted if they let me do it from my office .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby carnage on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 pm

the pink palermo wrote:£9.75 an hour you say ?

Im tempted if they let me do it from my office .

Indeed.

If you can choose to do this from your existing place of work alongside your current job it’s quite tempting.

I assume if you have to be on call 24 hours a day that you are paid 24 hours a day....
carnage

Postby Graza on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 pm

One if the major issues at West Ham - public relations, specifically muppets associated with the club on social media (and doing a column in the Sun). Solution: hire someone for the bare minimum to parrot out whatever rubbish they are emailed.

I despair of our clubs sometimes.
Graza

Postby Warwick Iron on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 pm

When I opened this I though it was gonna be for a defensive midfielder and back up right back
Warwick Iron

Postby Gerblatz on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 pm

They will attract a lot of experienced takers for this, living in the London area. This is so typical of wealthy business people expecting so much more, for so much less - it would have more gravitas if they had put it out as voluntary role. How pathetic are these people :lol:
Gerblatz

Postby cmoore4099 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 pm

What a ****ing joke. This makes me angry as it is what I do for a living. The only jobs they will pay a decent wage is ones subsidized by the Premier League like their Community Support Director. A position that was open about 3 years ago and was on 75K. The thing they don't say is that 50% of that is subsidized by the league for community efforts.

Anyway, back on track, I wouldn't do that job for them for under 50/60K. That is if they are trying have you create content. IF they are just looking for a community manager then you could pay about 30K as it's a very junior position.
cmoore4099

Postby Red Kens Slave on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 pm

:lol:

Even their job adverts are slippery and unclear.

"Full time + all match days". What does that even mean? 6 days a week when there's a home game? An extra day off in midweek during the weeks we're away? Working late for the evening games?

"Salary: London living wage". So is it £9.75 an hour at all times including evenings and weekends? Why not directly state an annual salary or salary range dependent on experience?

Doesn't bode well for the "successful" applicant.
Red Kens Slave

Postby brooking_1980 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 pm

I'd be embarrassed to have this as an advert for a space in my Team.

It also smacks of an unhealthy office atmosphere, what does "able to handle criticism" mean ? I've never seen that explicitly mentioned in a job ad,surely it points to an intimidating atmosphere, even so far as bullying ?
brooking_1980

Postby continental skills on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 pm

If the current incumbent has anything to do with the live commentary of U-23 matches on whu.com, someone should inform them
1) that when West Ham United are playing Manchester United, a free-kick for United should not be the way to describe a free-kick for the Manchester side, and
2) Martin Samuelsen is Norwegian and not Danish.
Then again, you pay peanuts...
continental skills

Postby One Peter Butler on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm

If someone on here could get the job I would gladly chip in to bring the wage up to at least workhouse levels.

We could have a field day why it lasted!
One Peter Butler

Postby Hammerite on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 pm

The last line of that ad reads like the first line of any of our managers brief.

Problem is most of that criticism (make that sniping) would be coming from the board room.
Hammerite

Postby hammernsickle on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 pm

I'll do it as long as they sponsor my work visa, let me crash with Jr., provide lodging for my dog on match days and let me walk the player's WAGs.
hammernsickle

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:08 pm

carnage wrote:I assume if you have to be on call 24 hours a day that you are paid 24 hours a day....

I’d want that in writing.
DaveWHU1964

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion