Rush green training ground

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Rush green training ground

Postby whufc01 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm

So there have been some rumours that one of our players (perhaps hernandez) is not happy with our training facilities. It seems like we moved in quickly with the chadwell heath lease being up and works on crossrail. I have recently read an old article from WHTID based on when we moved in.

https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2 ... rush-green

It just shows how far away we are from the clubs in our league i think. Arsenal 143 acres, chelsea 140 acres, tottenham 77 acres and then us wirh 29 acres. It seems like rush green was initially purchased for our academy/reserve side but it seems that our first team will be using it for the foreseable future. Surely moving forward we will need to upgrade our facilities in some way, to me it seems like with many things across the club have just settled for a cheap and easy option. Have the board been quizzed on this since the move from chadwell heath or since the move to stratford?
whufc01

Re: Rush green training ground

Postby danm79 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Why would you need 140 odd acres for a training ground, I think that is about 70 pitches.

I have been to the training ground and the facilities seem state on the art, pitches look like any PL ground pitch - yes they don't look cosmetically amazing but surely it is more again the equipment etc than the finish on the brick work?
danm79

Postby Heysel76 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:54 pm

I suspect the plan was to relocate there if the OS deal fell through......
Heysel76

Postby WCpete on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 pm

from this video the interior of the training facility really isn't very impressive. A hallway as a running and mobility area? It might be that this is a temporary building while the main facility is under construction. If not, I think 'state of the art' might be over qualifying the center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLoennZ1kwk
WCpete

Postby danm79 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:13 pm

WCpete wrote:from this video the interior of the training facility really isn't very impressive. A hallway as a running and mobility area? It might be that this is a temporary building while the main facility is under construction. If not, I think 'state of the art' might be over qualifying the center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLoennZ1kwk

By 'state of the art' I meant the exercise machines, ice chambers, computer/analysis equipment etc.

Had never considered that there should be more indoor facilities but now you say it I guess we had this even at Chadwell Heath.
danm79

Postby bonzosbeard on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Bournemouth have permission for state of art facility. N Forest have had one for years. Proper specially built buildings. Ones top pro's can see that this club mean business. Not repainted old huts.
bonzosbeard

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 am

We astroturfed a corridor for sprints. What more is there to say embarrassing.
bubbles500

Postby Lostcoco on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:19 am

What the **** is that :lol:
Lostcoco

Postby Francoisvander or else on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 am

My neighbours probably spent more money laying AstroTurf over their back garden :lol:
Francoisvander or else

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:36 am

danm79 wrote:Why would you need 140 odd acres for a training ground, I think that is about 70 pitches.

I have been to the training ground and the facilities seem state on the art, pitches look like any PL ground pitch - yes they don't look cosmetically amazing but surely it is more again the equipment etc than the finish on the brick work?

Being serious I think the aesthetics are very important for your daily place of work. They may have done the minimal to scrape by as a PL club just like everything we do. But for a club that proclaimed it wanted CL football our facilities are in the dark ages compared to the top 6. Don’t underestimate how important this is when trying to sign a player. It’s the difference between bringing back a new girlfriend to a penthouse suite or a caravan park. There’s also the psychological affect on the player. Imo it’s no coincidence that spurs steady progression has coincided with their new facility. I was very fortunate as a kid to go to one of the the oldest and best public schools in London (although you’d never know it from my grammar) with grand assembly hall and marble entrance hall I felt like a king going in to school everyday( all down hill since then lol) The aesthetics of your workplace or home can majorly affect your psychology. If you Perceive yourself as 2nd rate you will always be 2nd rate. For me it’s no coincidence either that Burnkey moved into their brand new facility this summer and look at the affect it’s had on them. It’s the one true test of an owners intentions if they really care about pushing the club forward it’s the first thing you sort. 7 years later we are still using embarrassing sheds to do media presser.
bubbles500

Postby costa75 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 am

I've been to some deppressing places in my time, shanty towns even, but I've never lived anywhere more soul destroying than Dagenham/RushGreen. What a grey s***hole that place is, and that is where our training ground is located. In the cheapest borough in the whole of London. I would not want to work there, and if we ever get decent owners, that place is not going to help us to attract a better quality of player.
costa75

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5i00jOQXE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burnley new facility that cost just £10m

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zqP2A5CruVA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spurs. Some of the players comments are very telling. In regard to young players and signing new players it’s another world tbh same at all the top 6.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ShdaWbMUFfE

Southampton a club we’d probably consider ourselves to be on a level with.
Last edited by bubbles500 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
bubbles500

Postby bonzosbeard on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 am

Bubbles. Totally agree. I would go without purchases on players if knew we were investing in a top quality place for our professionals to train. We are being left behind. I wonder where we are compared to rest of Premier league
bonzosbeard

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:06 am

Having read many of the disparaging posts beforehand I could not resist taking a view of the video tour, so I was braced for the worst, but I must be in a minority of one, coz I expected it to be a whole sight worse than it is
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 am

Puff they gave it a nice lick of paint. But it’s a sticking plaster like everything else they do. When you compare to the 3 videos I posted. You should see Brighton as well it looks like NASA.
bubbles500

Postby Condorhammer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:53 am

The architects that designed Brighton’s training facility also did S***s.
The whole ethos behind these facilities is to create an atmosphere where players actually WANT to be. This is even more the case when trying to persuade potential new signings and promising youngsters.
Condorhammer

Postby hammer1975 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 am

Difficult to judge without context tbh but wasn’t bowled over or embarrassed.

Doesn’t seem far enough away from Arsenal’s training ground that I played at 20 years ago to call ‘state of the art’ though.
hammer1975

Postby Gerblatz on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:48 pm

They bought the Rush Green Training Ground long before we moved to Stratford. It would have been part of their longer term strategy and part of their business plan. They got the 29 acres in Havering borough for what I was told - £2 million from Fords...an incredible deal. Planning permission for the set up was through Havering Council - a place where Sullivan will have a long standing network of people affiliated to the club.
Gerblatz

Postby -DL- on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Gerblatz wrote:29 acres

Enough land there to build a purpose 50k capacity football stadium I would have thought. :raver:
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Believer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 pm

-DL- wrote:
Enough land there to build a purpose 50k capacity football stadium I would have thought. :raver:

Sounds good to me. We can use the OS for training purposes. :thup:
Believer

Next

Return to General Discussion