FAC3R: West Ham Utd 1-0 Shrewsbury Town (16/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Shrewsbury Town: match thread

Post by Phil S »

How their keeper didn't get booked is beyond me
wasted time from kick off until we scored :thdn:

seemed to be able to run and get the ball back in play a lot quicker after that.

Also loved Arnie backing up Byram on the line
He's going to be a West Ham legend isn't he
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

thejackhammer wrote:How did Byram, Burke, Oxford, Cullen and Martinez get on?
In your order, terrible, ok, worst performance by a player this season, good, fluffed his one chance.
In truth the team other than Hart, Ogbonna, Arthur and Lanzini played like people who had never met before.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

swerley wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSYjplaaZg

Not HD, but works for me.

That was amazing by Lanzini, pity it din't go on but super clever stuff also by the defender to get back on to the line
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Bods roaming round in fancy dress & Chelsea shirts.

West Ham’s home support is finished...
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Just watched the highlights, lovely skill by Martinez to set up a brilliant finish by Burke after Noble took the corner.

There’s life in the academy yet.

He fluffed his one chance but I thought Martinez showed great composure after nearly 2 hours of football to flick the ball over a senior defender and pick out Burke with the pass.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

My take was:-

Byram
Looks physically quite fit but not match fit. Did a lot of running in first half but visibly tired in the second half, dont think he is a Premier league player but probably an excellent Championship player

Burke
Looked a bit hesitant at times and should have learned from Ogbanna who had a good game. Shrewsbury sensed they could get after Burke, knocked the ball off the pitch a few times, not quite a premier league player on this showing, hope to be proved wrong, great strike for his goal

Oxford
Poor, if he learnt anything in Germany it did not show. First touch not good, positionally not quite there. Even looked lazy at times in the first half and no surprise when substituted, nothing to suggest a premier league player but once again hoped to be proved wrong.

Cullen
Very busy, made himself available, good touch. Busy in a Joe Allen way, the experience of last night would help. Maybe a Premier league player in there but a bit to go.

Martinez
Always showing for the ball but took a bit of stick from centre backs, really not sure if there is a premier league player there.

Moyes and his coaching staff will have learnt a lot from the above, what did they ask of them, what did they expect of them, what was their attitude like.

Thought Oxford was the most disappointing of the lot, even if he was a bit rusty there was not anything about him that screamed "Play me" I really want it.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Before the game, I was interested to see how Oxford did.

Following the recent news about him not wanting to return from Germany, I half suspected his performance might be a reflection of that.

Seems it might have been the case?
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Martinez seems to have the right attitude and Harry Kane has shown that attitude and application go a long way. Hopefully he keeps working hard and improving.

He got the assist, and strikers are there to contribute to goals and assists so we can’t ask for much else. More than Ayew or Hernandez did against the same opponents.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

jacko wrote:
Byram was good on the whole. I thought Cullen was terrible.
Just goes to show, polar opposite for me, thought Cullen did Ok and Byram was woeful.
jacko wrote: The other thing is that Masuaka is the worst cross of the ball I've ever seen. He can't play left back becuase he can't tackle and he can't play left wing because he can't cross. I honestly don't know what is worst, his tackling or his crossing.
You mean he suffers from Michael Antonio syndrome?
mushy

Post by mushy »

Brendan wrote:My take was:-

Byram
Looks physically quite fit but not match fit. Did a lot of running in first half but visibly tired in the second half, dont think he is a Premier league player but probably an excellent Championship player

Burke
Looked a bit hesitant at times and should have learned from Ogbanna who had a good game. Shrewsbury sensed they could get after Burke, knocked the ball off the pitch a few times, not quite a premier league player on this showing, hope to be proved wrong, great strike for his goal

Oxford
Poor, if he learnt anything in Germany it did not show. First touch not good, positionally not quite there. Even looked lazy at times in the first half and no surprise when substituted, nothing to suggest a premier league player but once again hoped to be proved wrong.

Cullen
Very busy, made himself available, good touch. Busy in a Joe Allen way, the experience of last night would help. Maybe a Premier league player in there but a bit to go.

Martinez
Always showing for the ball but took a bit of stick from centre backs, really not sure if there is a premier league player there.

Moyes and his coaching staff will have learnt a lot from the above, what did they ask of them, what did they expect of them, what was their attitude like.

Thought Oxford was the most disappointing of the lot, even if he was a bit rusty there was not anything about him that screamed "Play me" I really want it.
Think that just about sums it up fro me, the thing Moyes will have learned is that at the moment none of these kids look nailed on Prem standard. Cullen might get a call from the bench now and then but cant see any of the others getting near the first team unless there is a real upturn on performance.
On the bright side, I think Martinez plays well with back to goal, and his link up work is good.
Its when he faces goal that he has an issue.
Room for improvement.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

mushy wrote: You mean he suffers from Michael Antonio syndrome?
Another one to add to the five a side team of;

Jack Collinson, James Tompkins, Masuaka and Ogbanna!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Just realised two things:

Noble almost scored with a header!

Noble slung in the corner that led to the goal!!

A pair of collector's items, right there!!!
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

Really unfair to judge the youngsters on one crappy game. The whole point is to give them a feel for a competitive match, to get to know the other players in a match situation and to gain confidence. Yes, Oxford looked ordinary, Cullen is pretty lightweight, ditto Martinez and Burke is not James Collins. But apart from Oxford who looked seriously pissed off they all applied themselves and showed good technique. It still seems that Rice is the only one who is up to first team squad level so far but signs of ability from the others to deserve to figure again at some point.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote:
Noble almost scored with a header!
We were desperate for that to go in .

Looks to have got his mojo back that's for sure .
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Bods roaming round in fancy dress & Chelsea shirts.

West Ham’s home support is finished...
Before one of the Uefa games at The Boleyn, there were a load of lads sat behind us in full Man U kits.. It's modern football mate
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

NW5hammer wrote:Really unfair to judge the youngsters on one crappy game. The whole point is to give them a feel for a competitive match, to get to know the other players in a match situation and to gain confidence. Yes, Oxford looked ordinary, Cullen is pretty lightweight, ditto Martinez and Burke is not James Collins. But apart from Oxford who looked seriously pissed off they all applied themselves and showed good technique. It still seems that Rice is the only one who is up to first team squad level so far but signs of ability from the others to deserve to figure again at some point.
That's the whole point about young players, thay need the first team experience to progress. The first season I watched West Ham regularly I used to moan about the young kid who often played up front. Tall gangly fella who didn't seem to know what he was doing. Trying to remember his name now, Terry? no Tom? no Trevor that was it. Trevor Brooking he was called. I mean what did he ever do after that? :)
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

It was a FA Cup game under the lights.

It was also the first time we saw properly the demographic the Club really want to attract.
mushy

Post by mushy »

NW5hammer wrote:Really unfair to judge the youngsters on one crappy game. The whole point is to give them a feel for a competitive match, to get to know the other players in a match situation and to gain confidence. Yes, Oxford looked ordinary, Cullen is pretty lightweight, ditto Martinez and Burke is not James Collins. But apart from Oxford who looked seriously pissed off they all applied themselves and showed good technique. It still seems that Rice is the only one who is up to first team squad level so far but signs of ability from the others to deserve to figure again at some point.
And yet people have been judging Martinez based purely on reports from a very poor under 23 league.

What you say though is all very true, and is why these players should be playing competitive football in a competitive league. In other words, none of these players should be judged until they have had a run on loan somewhere. There is of course a reason that Oxford never got picked for Reading, and Martinez scored only one league goal at Oxford.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 775 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Great experience for them in a meaningful game in a first team shirt, and as part of a winning team. Hopefully, they'll get more chances in this competition, at least, and grow in confidence with that.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

The trouble is that young players who are prem first-team ready by 20 are very rare. Do you hang on to them until they're 24 and you can properly judge? Can you hang on to them that long?