FAC3R: West Ham Utd 1-0 Shrewsbury Town (16/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Shrewsbury Town: match thread

Post by S-H »

the celestial insect wrote:The trouble is that young players who are prem first-team ready by 20 are very rare. Do you hang on to them until they're 24 and you can properly judge? Can you hang on to them that long?
Probably more of a case the players aren't prepared to wait and earn their chance, especially in this day and age.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

somerset-hammer wrote:
Probably more of a case the players aren't prepared to wait and earn their chance, especially in this day and age.
True.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Shrewsbury Town
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132084
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Fair comments.

Not many people like the place do they?
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

A massive positive from last night was the confidence and lift that goal must have given to the youngsters.
It was clear from where we were in 113 what that goal meant to Cullen, Martinez and Burke especially, who, stood in front of the fans with his arms spread, was shouting as loudly as any of us.
The three of them never gave up, although there were many times when it was clear, the occasion and pressure was getting to them. The boys done good.
A special mention goes out to those fans that migrated to 113/114 at half time and joined in, replacing the tourists. Had some good natured banter with the Salops, who themselves should take a bow., giving it and taking it with smiles all round.
Next time tho, I'll be packing some arctic gear for the tunnel walk between concourse and stand...
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Doc H Ball wrote:Fair comments.

And that was one of the more positive OV's on the place that I have seen!
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Doc H Ball wrote:It was also the first time we saw properly the demographic the Club really want to attract.
Woman behind me spent the entire game on the phone talking to her friends about her poorly cat, how she was having valuable “hubby and wifey” time at the football. And generally moaning about the game, being cold, and how she’d rather be at home watching her favourite TV programme.

It was utter hell.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

At least the cat got some proper kip in, though!
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

I'm very much a day tripper these days and this was my third visit to the bowl. I noticed a lot of tourists when queuing up and where I sat it was fairly tame. That said there were some kids in front of me and they really got into it in the second half and extra time. I know one of them said he was worried about what would be said at school if West Ham lost. He was chuffed at the 1-0 result. So for us a jaded old gits it was a poor game but for the new generation it was another experience to add to the many more to come.

I still don't know what to make of the OS. I have sat in three different places and generally enjoyed it. I remember some dull experiences at the Boleyn, mainly because of where I sat, usually enjoying it more when one of my mates let me have their seat when they couldn't make it. The OS certainly isn't a true football stadium and maybe if I was a STH again I would moan about it more.

Met some decent people at the Builder's Arms and some people next to me at the game. Good to see people are still chatty to strangers.

Now where do I send my hotel bill as I had to stay overnight because of the extra time? :wink:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Doc H Ball wrote:Fair comments.

Not sure one disgruntled away supporter necessarily is everybody's opinion. It's common knowledge lots of people hate the stadium for a variety of reasons. It depends what you expect I suppose, but having been to Wembley, Emirates, Olympic Stadium Rome, San Siro Milan, I think modern stadia will never give us the atmosphere we grew up with. I really enjoyed my trip to see Lazio win the league in Rome 20 years ago, and the stadium has a running track around it. The football was good so the atmosphere was good. We were a long way from the pitch but could see clearly, same as at Stratford. I just wish I couldn't see our football as well as I can sometimes :D
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

I see the the opposition view is still concentrating on the away fans that slag off the stadium :hush:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Longneck'd Iron wrote:I see the the opposition view is still concentrating on the away fans that slag off the stadium :hush:
I seem to remember away fans slagging of Upton Park as well. It's a given :)
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

goa127 wrote: I seem to remember away fans slagging of Upton Park as well. It's a given :)
Did they?

The Shrews hardly sound a disgruntled lot with axes to grind.

It seems common opinion that the LS is 'not a football stadium', has ugly gaps and is too far from the action.
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

Not sure one disgruntled away supporter necessarily is everybody's opinion. It's common knowledge lots of people hate the stadium for a variety of reasons. It depends what you expect I suppose, but having been to Wembley, Emirates, Olympic Stadium Rome, San Siro Milan, I think modern stadia will never give us the atmosphere we grew up with. I really enjoyed my trip to see Lazio win the league in Rome 20 years ago, and the stadium has a running track around it. The football was good so the atmosphere was good. We were a long way from the pitch but could see clearly, same as at Stratford. I just wish I couldn't see our football as well as I can sometimes :D[/quote]

I've been to the old Wembley, the Olympico in Rome for Lazio-Roma (1998) and the Olympic stadium in Athens a few times to see Olympiakos. We had good seats in Rome, at the halfway line and about halfway up. The atmosphere was incredible as it was the Rome Derby. It finished 3-3 with Mancini scoring for Lazio and Totti for Roma. In Athens the atmosphere was good for the one match against PAOK, Olympiakos rival. The PAOK fans were by themselves in the upper tier with no one below them in the lower tier and there were 50 yard gaps on either side of them on the upper tier. I was there another time for a friendly and our assigned seats were not there as they were broken off and thrown at the opposition during another match.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

Last nights game was very cold, and very, very dull.

We got the win though and we move on......
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Watched the highlights earlier, Burke was so odd when he scored looked he wanted to just jump punch the air and go crazy but was trying to remain calm and then once again everyone got off he was still fist pumping :lol:
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Korea Hammer wrote:Great experience for them in a meaningful game in a first team shirt, and as part of a winning team. Hopefully, they'll get more chances in this competition, at least, and grow in confidence with that.
Be far easier to judge them as individuals within a full first team as we have Rice than when playing as a group within a very thin first team in a secondary (to the club) competition. If nothing else it shows the paucity of our squad yet again.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

I enjoyed last night.
Thought Shrewsbury did themselves proud again and fair play to the numbers they brought down.
It was cold, it was dull at times but looking at it in a positive manner, some of the 'second string' got a run out and although deficiencies were there to see (understanderbly), there was effort throughout.
Never felt comfortable until the subs were made and I was relieved and pleased for Reece B. when he scored.
I was dreading penalties.
Glad I went. I love the FA Cup and with a bit of luck..........Oh
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: hope it was gangland and one of those little hood rats has been got
I walked through the estate where the Carpenters is pre-game and was confronted by a rat of the vermin variety a similar size to a Labrador! It was ****ing huge and I've seen a few over the years, and the b*stard went for my ankles rather than running away.

The blokes walking 20 yards behind me must have thought I was dancing an Irish jig :D
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

You were lucky, Belly Busters charge £6 for one of those.