Are we going down ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Are we going down ?

Postby mushy on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am

Loon wrote:Given Southampton and Stoke's remaining fixtures it's difficult to see where they will pick up the points from - not in their current form anyway. I think win against Stoke and we are out of the ****.

Both play Swansea. Possible 3 there I would say. Stoke play ourselves and we never know which West Ham will turn up.
There are points to be had, it's just a question of how hard they fight.
Stoke also have Palace and Burnley.
It's not quite all over yet.
mushy

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 am

I have predicted we are safe already.

14 West Ham United - 37 points
15 Brighton & Hove Albion
16 Swansea City
17 stoke
18 Southampton FC-33 points
19 Huddersfield - 33 points
20 West Bromwich Albion- 21 points
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Military Hammer on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:54 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I have predicted we are safe already.

16 Swansea City
17 stoke

But we surely cannot be safe “already” on 37 points, as we don’t have 37 points, we have 34!!!
Military Hammer

Postby Dwight1970 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:58 pm

We should fully expect Stoke and Southampton to get at least a couple of wins before the final fixture so no way are we safe yet, looking at Chelsea's recent run of league form I can see the Saints getting a win on Saturday to get the ball rolling for them.

For us a victory or draw against Stoke should put us out of reach of them and as long as we get something against Everton I can't see us going down on 38 points but if we lose against the Potters then I think with our run in I reckon we will go down, so for me if we beat Stoke we will stay up, draw 50/50 but lose we go down.
Dwight1970

Postby swash on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 pm

As others have touched upon, it is no good looking at the fixture list, and thinking that our fellow relegation strugglers will definitely not get points against the big boys, as not only do you have teams like Chelsea who are playing so badly at the moment, but you saw Arsenal put out a much weakened team against Soton, which almost allowed Soton to take something from the game.

There will be more of this with clubs resting players ahead of more important games, and then factor in clubs taking their foot of the gas such as Man C, after they have secured the title.

I think we need to target at least 2 more wins, before I will rest easy
swash

Postby Denzil on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I have predicted we are safe already.

16 Swansea City
17 stoke

Military Hammer wrote:
But we surely cannot be safe “already” on 37 points, as we don’t have 37 points, we have 34!!!

He has 18th going down on 33 points though meaning we are safe already on 34 8-)
Denzil

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:02 pm

swash wrote:As others have touched upon, it is no good looking at the fixture list, and thinking that our fellow relegation strugglers will definitely not get points against the big boys, as not only do you have teams like Chelsea who are playing so badly at the moment, but you saw Arsenal put out a much weakened team against Soton, which almost allowed Soton to take something from the game.

There will be more of this with clubs resting players ahead of more important games, and then factor in clubs taking their foot of the gas such as Man C, after they have secured the title.

Similarly there is no reason we cannot get points in similar situations.

Man U and Arsenal have nothing to play for from a League perspective. Man City will probably be done and dusted by the time we play them

Leicester will be challenging for 7th and Europa, but they are certainly beatable

Everton at home is about an ideal last fixture as a team could hope for

If we cannot get 4 points minimum from that (including Stoke), we may as well give up

FWIW i think we will draw with Stoke, Arsenal, and Leicester and beat Everton
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby HoustonHammer24 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Similarly there is no reason we cannot get points in similar situations.

Man U and Arsenal have nothing to play for from a League perspective. Man City will probably be done and dusted by the time we play them

Leicester will be challenging for 7th and Europa, but they are certainly beatable

Everton at home is about an ideal last fixture as a team could hope for

If we cannot get 4 points minimum from that (including Stoke), we may as well give up

FWIW i think we will draw with Stoke, Arsenal, and Leicester and beat Everton

Agree with you on most points. While we shouldn't rely on them for points, matches against a weakened Arsenal and the Manchester sides who will be on the beach are definitely capable of yielding "unexpected" points for us. Leicester were just beaten by Newcastle, and could be out of reach of Europe by the time we play them. Would love us to get a point at least there.

Disagree about Everton at home though. If we are still in contention for relegation, Big Sam will target a result so he can say "look what happens when I leave a club". We also have a less than great record against Everton, and they tend to be a bogey team for us. We need to be safe by this game, as I don't fancy our chances when the pressure is on for this one.
HoustonHammer24

Postby EugeneSpeed on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:16 pm

As others have said...

Will we stay up? Probably
Will we be having the same discussion this time next season? Definitely
EugeneSpeed

Postby goa127 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 pm

EugeneSpeed wrote:As others have said...

Will we stay up? Probably
Will we be having the same discussion this time next season? Definitely

I reckon in the fifty years since I first went to Upton Park we flirted with relegation 35 times. 10 times we've had a half decent season, five times we were in the second tier. Why would that change now? :)
goa127

Postby Dwight1970 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

goa127 wrote:I reckon in the fifty years since I first went to Upton Park we flirted with relegation 35 times. 10 times we've had a half decent season, five times we were in the second tier. Why would that change now? :)

Because we sold our home otherwise for many it was pretty much a pointless move and the club will suffer more directly as a consequence than any of those 35 years especially now whilst in an era when football is booming.

Regardless of how anyone interprets the next level the club used to the sell the move no one can dispute that had relegation or relegation battles been sold as an expectation very few fans especially S/T holders would have bought into leaving Upton Park.
Dwight1970

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Dwight1970 wrote:
Regardless of how anyone interprets the next level the club used to the sell the move no one can dispute that had relegation or relegation battles been sold as an expectation very few fans especially S/T holders would have bought into leaving Upton Park.

You would have to be a very very poor salesman to use that as the sales pitch!

The owners would have moved anyway, regardless how many fans were on board with it
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Harry Hound on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:

Whilst it's very likely to be all over by the time they play us it's not a sure thing and I don't know why but I'd love to see City throw it all away, especially if we were to beat them.
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby kitthehammer on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 pm

I still say we need 40 points. But from where I daren't say, because there is every possibility we will bodge up v stoke.
kitthehammer

Postby TheHandOfDog on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:35 pm

I think we are safe now as someone has already posted, a point or 2 to make sure but I honestly don't see Stoke or Southampton catching us.
Stoke need to win 3 out of 5 to go above us and the saints need 2 wins and a draw in a very tough run in and that obviously doesn't factor in our points accumulated in our last few games too.

Combine that with Huddersfields run in being really tough after their next game against Watford.(Everton, City, Chelsea, Arsenal).

But what is it all for, we will be here again next season on a thread with a similar name. Pointless really.
TheHandOfDog

Postby sutts07 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:06 pm

kitthehammer wrote:I still say we need 40 points

For us to require 40 points, five of the following would have to happen;

Stoke getting another 13 points (six wins all season)
Southampton getting another 12 points (five wins all season)
Palace getting another 9 points (seven wins all season)
Huddersfield getting another 8 points (eight wins all season)
Swansea getting another 8 points
Brighton getting another 5 points

I can see 3 of those happening, maybe four at a push.

There is no way in my mind that 40 points will be the cut off. It has only been 40 points once in the last decade. The average needed is 37 these days and I actually think it will be even lower than that this season as it is such a poor league outside of the top seven.

Can't see us losing to Stoke, we will be buzzing on the back of the last two. We could even nick as many as 42 points if we do get a win over Stoke and finish 11th - 13th.
sutts07

Postby goa127 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Dwight, my comment about West Ham's history was merely pointing out my expectations. The move has not changed the basic culture of the club which is to **** up at every opportunity. I don't think we've ever had a really top class manager in my time as a supporter, and owners, well take your pick. No wonder the dildos thought we were perfect for them.
goa127

Postby sutts07 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:55 am

Southampton certainly didn't need a three game ban for Jack Stephens

Hand for us that El Nenny picked up the same too.
sutts07

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:09 pm

sutts07 wrote:Hand for us that El Nenny picked up the same too.

Somehow overturned.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby the celestial insect on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:00 pm

It's either Southampton or Brighton for that third spot IMO. Brighton have a hideous run in. Southampton seem to have picked up a bit in the last two, despite the results, but they're also still in the cup, which could be a problem. I reckon we'll end up 16th.
the celestial insect

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion