Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 West Ham Utd (03/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Re: Brighton & Hove Albion v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

How did Ogbonna & Kouyate play today?
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:How did Ogbonna & Kouyate play today?
Ogbonna's performance was error strewn (although our back 5 were mostly shocking today anyway) and Kouyate was back to his old self, ie. pretty anonymous for the most of the game
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Just back. Still cold!
Appalling performance.
Glad we gave the board abuse.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:How did Ogbonna & Kouyate play today?
Only from watching a stream, Oggy had a quiet game, no major f/ups but nothing special either?
Kouyate was his, quite often, running around like a chicken with no head but, he did keep running & trying, so A for effort.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Vienna wrote:1 out of 10 is too high a rating for Collins today.
Is it...and from which perspective might that be?
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

From the BBC match report:

"Brighton had several contenders for man of the match, notably Gaetan Bong and Pascal Gross. But Izquierdo's finish complemented his wider display. He completed 91% of his 36 passes - the best mark of any player who started the game - and put in a shift with 66 sprints, the most by a Brighton player."

Imagine if we had a player like that on the wing...but instead we've got Michail 'blowing out of his arse after 5 minutes' Antonio
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by danm79 »

TommyHammer wrote:Heard Ginge gave it the 'wheres the money' gesture after the game. Class if true.
e-20 wrote:I so want this to be true.
100% true
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Brighton were the better side by far and deserved the win - Adrian kept a couple of cracking shots out - could have been more.

Two fantastic goals we saw today - Izyywhatsit's was pure class, inch perfect. Really liked Hernandez's goal, too - hard work and a nice triangle made it happen . . . at the time I thought he took too many touches but he put it exactly where he had to. Well done.

Yes, for parts of the game our defending was inexplicable but midfield was where we lost the game - Brighton consistently winning all the 50/50 balls - right from the KO Brighton were brighter and easily dominated in most areas.

We could have shipped at least three more but fortunately for us, Knockaert couldn't finish for the life of him. Questions for Brighton fans: was he drunk, was it an off-day for him or is he always constantly crap in front of goal? He had at least three fantastic chances and Adrian didn't have to move an inch for one of them. With finishing like that I think there's a good chance that Mssrs Gold & Sullivan will be breaking the club transfer record to sign him up for next season.

Any positives from today? Well, I hear Arnie is supposed to be back next week. Overall, we have a mediocre team but with a difference maker like him up front there's always the chance for a bit of magic.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

My day of sitting in the home end (just a wall away from the hammers)

Ok

I wouldn't do it again. Given the score line, and being very aware I wasn't acting like a normal fan, I didn't particularly enjoy the match experience. Everyone around me was rightly chuffed at the second goal and I realised after a few seconds I should probably stand up and fake some kind of happiness. It was very hard not celebrating when chicharito scored too. Specially with money on a 2-1 win and chicharito to score.

We were ****. I'm not sure I can remember a chance other then the one chicharito took. We did finish the second half stronger, perhaps, then Brighton. But start of the second half and after their second goal we just fell apart. It was pitiful. And the fact Brighton are my local side to where I live now made it a crap day all told.

The Brighton fans seemed bemused by the board out/where has the money gone/f*** of gold and sully chants. I'd say for the majority of the match till 3-1 it was the classic supporting West Ham songs...twist and shout, lido, bubbles. Personally, I'd stick with that during the match.

After the match I wondered round and saw bad doing his interview for West Ham tv, a large banner, a smaller banner. A few chants in front of some bemused stewards, old bill and Brighton fans. I'd say the majority of West Ham fans looked miserable but just went on their way (maybe in a rush to get home and salvage a Saturday afternoon)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

There was so much mayhem at the Amex today you would think the Africa Corps were in town, but in truth it was just our away support having fun .

The protest banners outscored our goals by 3-1 and were all square on chances created .Some of the Brighton fans we spoke with afterwards observed we seemed displeased with our current owners - sharp as a tack these south coast mob .

The concession of an early goal was always going to create a toxic atmosphere but the most surprising aspect of the banners being held up was the age profile of the lads holding them - barely one of them looked older than 30, so if the Chairman thinks the unrest is down to a few dozen grizzly old geezers he is mistaken, the anger runs deep and across the generations .

The game itself was hardly a classic save for Brighton's finishing which was excellent, although given the number of attempts they had they could have been profligate in front of goal and still beaten us, and deservedly so .Lacking shape, drive or any real discernible game plan we simply fell apart more and more as the match progressed .

We saw our new chap make his debut, and he may turn out to be the shrewdest signing for a while given our position just three points above the drop zone with an awful run in .He may be our top scorer next season .

Irrespective of which division we are in the atmosphere today was sufficient evidence that these owners race with us is run , there's no way back for them now even if we beat the drop, which , in my opinion is looking increasingly unlikely unless a club around us implodes dramatically .

Just 4 of todays starters joined on Bilic's watch , a sure indicator of how poor we have been in the transfer market for a sustained period , and that, ultimately will cost Sullivan dearly .

How cheap must Carvalho look to him now ?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Just home and soaking in the bath. Is it just the years catching up on me or has it been perpetual winter this season?

Our crowd were antsy from the off. I suspect that a sizeable number donated to the Real campaign and there were at least 4 anti board banners. I spoke with a couple of stewards from both Clubs who told me they'd been instructed to seize the one at the front, but to their credit they didn't and got a dressing down for not seizing it on entry. I wouldn't have their job for all the tea in China. Crowing about diversity and equality in press handouts then trying to stop legitimate free speech.

I spent a while around the town and ground and sneaked into their supporters' bar. Poems about the Goldstone from Attila the Stockbroker, engravings of the players and the crowd for 110 years, Harveys on barrel for £3.80, the best burgers in Sussex made on a neighbouring farm for £4.10, statues and a real sense of positivity and place. Despite being an out of town new build with little around like our place, they also had their beloved ground bulldozed but came up trumps. 2 public enquiries, multi protests and squatting miles away led to their own place and a progressive agenda.

Comparing BHA and WHU and their moves would make an interesting study. I never thought I'd say this, but I am envious of them. They've had their dark days, we are having ours.

The game? f*** it, who cares? There's a bigger game afoot.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Doc H Ball wrote:Just home and soaking in the bath. Is it just the years catching up on me or has it been perpetual winter this season?
It did look cold down there today, Doc.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

17 years of hurt wrote:I think that performance was a direct result of all the turmoil this week. Players just weren’t at it. They can be forgiven this poor performance as long as they get it right next week as cup games aside, we had been on a fairly decent run.

A lot of poor performances but what the **** was Antonio on when he came on. Absolute dogshit performance and he really looked like he couldn’t be arsed to be out there today. Worrying at the moment as we are very short on options.

Whimper over the line and rebuild in the summer.
The sad fact is, we will (hopefully) and we won't.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

danm79 wrote:
100% true
ohh glad to hear that! i misinterpreted it as a negative gesture towards the fans
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Nice to see you today PP and then to read your ramblings :thup:
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

By the way, I'm going to go out on a limb here having only seen it live, but I reckon their bloke f l u k e d the second....
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

And you Doc, there were quite a few familiar faces there today, comforting to know owners come and go but supporters are there forever .

Their second was no fluke Doc - absolutely placed it, picked his spot .
Samba

Post by Samba »

Doc H Ball wrote:By the way, I'm going to go out on a limb here having only seen it live, but I reckon their bloke f l u k e d the second....
He managed to pick the only spot of the goal where it could have gone in. If he meant it, genius. If he didn't, flukey c***. Lets face it, how many goals are hit it & hope?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

He's done it twice against us now to prove it's no fluke. Outstanding technique both times.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

What does a "where's the money?!" Gesture look like?

Also - why is Antonio so unfit that he is blowing after 5-10 mins? How can that be the case?