Jordan Hugill

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Jordan Hugill

Postby beckton on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:09 pm

I haven't been on here for a while so this may have all ready been said. His signing reminded me of the Savio one under the Icelandics when we were skint.The sale of Sakho and Ayew etc and then later Fonte just reminded me of those days.

What makes it even stranger is the lad we released a few years back has scored more goals for Preston. :?
beckton

Postby 61dicksey on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:39 pm

Something is definitely weird about this signing, Preston are pushing for the play offs and are doing ok , why sell a supposedly valuable player if you might dip put on promotion ?
Smells a bit fishy
61dicksey

Postby Jumby on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:57 pm

It was the weirdest transfer of the window. Glasgow Rangers expressed an interest in him, then got put off by the price. Sadly we weren't put off though, we sold Sakho and Ayew after learning that Carroll and Arnie were injured, and signed this lump from Preston.

I, like others, would be incredibly underwhelmed if we went down and had him leading the line. He's done nothing in his career to suggest he'd score the goals to take us back up. None of this is his fault, and nothing against the lad, it's just already looking like a f**king stupid signing that should never have been entertained.
Jumby

Postby Servo on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:06 am

Moyes doing his old club a favour at West Ham's expense?
Servo

Postby Alfiehammer on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 am

Seems to be the forgotten man of West Ham. Doesn't look like any prospect of him playing this year, just why did we sign him??
Alfiehammer

Postby Jumby on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 am

Alfiehammer wrote:Seems to be the forgotten man of West Ham. Doesn't look like any prospect of him playing this year, just why did we sign him??

All of this becomes more baffling when you consider we sold Ayew and Sakho and Carroll is out for the season.
Jumby

Postby OFT on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:49 am

Alfiehammer wrote:, just why did we sign him??

Who's his agent?

Hugill must be thinking he's dropped a right one signing for us.
OFT

Postby Croydon on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:54 am

I feel sorry for the lad in all of this. Had he not been signed in the manner that he has, I suspect we would have applauded a "shrewd" transfer. Unfortunately for him, he will be synonymous with the most anti-GSB we have had to date.

Ironically he is probably one of the few players on our books that WANTS to play for us.
Croydon

Postby Jumby on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:40 am

Ollie McBurnie, on loan from Swansea, has six goals in eight games for struggling Barnsley. Hugill scored 8 in 27 for Preston. Do you reckon we'll go after Ollie McBurnie? No.

Something about this signing doesn't seem right, he wasn't good enough in the Championship but we paid 12m for him.
Jumby

Postby The Gibbins on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:31 pm

This signing is definitely a weird one, he has played a total of what, 7 minutes?

We have bought a ****ing dud, we are playing with one upfront who isn't a striker, dropping a top class poacher to the bench and not even using a player we spent money on in a deadline day panic.

Only at West Ham...
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby MD_HM on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Are Preston short of cash?

Anyone at our club got history with Preston?

:wink:

Strange transfer in so many ways...
MD_HM

Postby szola on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:47 pm

He is one for the future.

Next season he'll be the one leading the line, after we sell Hernandez, Arnautovic, Antonio and still have Carroll sipping Mai Tai-s. He is a decent striker for the Championship :thup:
szola

Postby The Old Mile End on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Of all the crap things the club has done this season (and lately), I have a strange good feeling about this signing.
I have a gut feeling he will do well.
The Old Mile End

Postby The Gibbins on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:20 pm

He is 25 so he isn't really up and coming and there is not a lot of evidence to prove he will bang in the goals whether its in this league or The Championship. I would love for him to be a success but i think Preston just saw this as a great opportunity to cash out on a player who was having his best season to date.

If he can't get in a side struggling when is he ever going to get in?
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby thejackhammer on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:23 pm

The Gibbins wrote:He is 25 so he isn't really up and coming and there is not a lot of evidence to prove he will bang in the goals whether its in this league or The Championship. I would love for him to be a success but i think Preston just saw this as a great opportunity to cash out on a player who was having his best season to date.

If he can't get in a side struggling when is he ever going to get in?

Next season when we don’t have Hernandez or Arnautovic?

Antonio sat on the bench for a while, Vardy, Gray, Wilson all late bloomers who have come throw them recently. Too early to write him off. ‘Pschyo’ and Kevin Davies singing his praises recently, good enough for me.
thejackhammer

Postby the celestial insect on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:39 pm

I think they realised with the outgoings that we had to have a striker with some physical presence, who might be able to hold the ball up if Arnie got injured (and assuming at that stage Carroll always will be). They then looked around at who was British or playing over here, who they could afford, who wouldn't mind being on the bench, and who is young enough to still have some potential resale value (we know it's important to them).

That's why I think we signed him. And I doubt very much the fee was all upfront. If it's at all contingent on appearances, then that bit can likely be wiped out for a start.
the celestial insect

Postby the celestial insect on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Oh, and low wages, too, presumably.
the celestial insect

Postby TheHandOfDog on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Jordan Whogill
TheHandOfDog

Postby Jumby on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 pm

szola wrote:He is one for the future.

Next season he'll be the one leading the line, after we sell Hernandez, Arnautovic, Antonio and still have Carroll sipping Mai Tai-s. He is a decent striker for the Championship :thup:

He's 25 and was hardly tearing it up at any level of professional football. I could put up with Whitehead, Gordon and Maguire (f**king hell!) because the outlay was small, but this is just stupid
Jumby

Postby bobcar on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Jumby wrote:Ollie McBurnie, on loan from Swansea, has six goals in eight games for struggling Barnsley. Hugill scored 8 in 27 for Preston. Do you reckon we'll go after Ollie McBurnie? No.

Something about this signing doesn't seem right, he wasn't good enough in the Championship but we paid 12m for him.

So you've seen a lot of him in the Championship have you? I don't pretend to know if he was good enough for the Championship let alone the PL but I'll at least reserve judgement until I've seen enough of him.
bobcar

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion