Jordan Hugill

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Jordan Hugill

Postby Al the Airborne Dog on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 am

Macca1973 wrote:I’ve watched plenty of Championship football this year and I stand by my statement, he is not even in the top ten best strikers in that league. I am fairly confident he will get very little playing time for us before being loaned/sold in the summer. Depressingly, people are already getting used to such disastrous transfer windows that they can’t see this signing for dud that it undoubtedly is.

Perhaps none of the top ten best Championship strikers wanted to come to us???

Not digging you out mate, just saying like :) :) :)
Al the Airborne Dog

Postby jacko on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:07 am

When Carroll is fit again (lol), he won't even get on the bench.

Very strange signing. We needed playing to improve the first team and Moyes doens't even trust him for 10 minutes in a game. It's worrying.
jacko

Postby Jumby on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 am

I still can't believe David Cross and Kevin Davies thought he was the best striker in the Championship, imagine if they were our scouts, or in charge? :lol:
Jumby

Postby e17 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:05 pm

thejackhammer wrote:I’m not even optimistic I’m just willing to give him a chance to kick a ball without being so eager to stick the boot in.

Top man. :thup:

Judge on playing time.
e17

Postby bobcar on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Jumby wrote:I don't care what Kevin Davies or David Cross say or think, he wasn't the best striker in the Championship. I havent slated him personally, I have been critical of the transfer, and with good reason.

To be honest I'll take their opinion over yours every time, we're all entitled to our opinion but some carry more weight than others. I don't pretend to know what Hugill is like as I've not seen him play much but those two at least have standing in terms of what they achieved in the game and your mocking them doesn't alter that - mocking is easy but achieves little.
bobcar

Postby Jumby on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:54 pm

I'm not trying to achieve anything, I'm simply giving my opinion on the transfer of Jordan Hugill from Preston North End to West Ham United, whilst expressing a difference of opinion to two ex professionals, since it was brought up. I remain very surprised that they thought he was the best striker in that division given some of the players down there, I'm not sure he was even the best striker at Preston.
Jumby

Postby trevshead10may1980 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:47 am

We will never know until he is given some decent playing time. I can't understand why we bought him and then not play him. He should start against Southampton, let us see what he is made of. Most illogical to have him constantly on the bench. We have scored 2 goals in our last 3 games, it can't get any worse.
trevshead10may1980

Postby jacko on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:10 am

trevshead10may1980 wrote:We will never know until he is given some decent playing time. I can't understand why we bought him and then not play him. He should start against Southampton, let us see what he is made of. Most illogical to have him constantly on the bench. We have scored 2 goals in our last 3 games, it can't get any worse.

Not sure about this. If they don't trust him in the first team and they won't pick him then that says a lot in itself. After all, they are watching him day in day out.
jacko

Postby thejackhammer on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:42 am

And they didn’t trust Antonio for a long time either, who knows the reasons why.
thejackhammer

Postby Jumby on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:57 am

jacko wrote:If they don't trust him in the first team and they won't pick him then that says a lot in itself. After all, they are watching him day in day out.

This is pretty much where I am at the moment with this transfer, it seems like he's an expensive and permanent Wellington Paulista in the sense that he's signed but never plays.
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:04 pm

thejackhammer wrote:And they didn’t trust Antonio for a long time either, who knows the reasons why.

I think the difference is is that Antonio joined us having really torn up that division, and he'd also formed a decent understanding with Brit Assombalonga, a player who I wanted us to sign. Assombalonga is having a bad season by his standards, 12 in 27 starts, but I think he could have done well for us, his record in the lower leagues is really good and he's shown he can link up play well. It's really frustrating that we won't go after players like him when we drop down a division or two to have a look. I used to think it was a money thing, but then we signed Hugill.
Jumby

Postby the celestial insect on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:41 pm

If the board had done some proper business in Jan, as they needed to, this lad would be under far less scrutiny. I hope the expectations aren't communicating themselves to him because he can't win. I'd love to see him do well, and I'm not setting any expectations at all.
the celestial insect

Postby Hamburger on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:07 pm

The problem with many of our transfers is not so much how good they are but will the fit in? Square pegs & round holes. Prime current example is Hernandez. Past recent examples Ayew & Snoddy. It seems most of our buys are not ‘well considered’ but pot luck. Thank God for Arnie.

If Hugill was bought because his style was perfect for our set up then it’s understandable but is he? What does he bring to the party? Who is he supposed to ‘partner’? Where does he link in? Would he complement Lanzini/Arnie/Antonio? If these questions weren’t answered, why on earth would you risk £10m on an unknown quantity? Regardless of how good or bad he is, what was the logic?
Hamburger

Postby Jumby on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:41 pm

Hamburger wrote:.
If Hugill was bought because his style was perfect for our set up then it’s understandable but is he? What does he bring to the party? Who is he supposed to ‘partner’? Where does he link in? Would he complement Lanzini/Arnie/Antonio? If these questions weren’t answered, why on earth would you risk £10m on an unknown quantity? Regardless of how good or bad he is, what was the logic?

The four David's, Gold, Sullivan, Moyes and Cross, and Kevin Davies, maybe they could answer that one for us. Who is Hugill's agent? What was the actual fee? All of these things need to be answered for this transfer to make any sense at all, the Roy Of The Rovers romance has died before it even started so now the transfer needs to be explained.
Jumby

Postby upton o'good on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Jumby wrote:I still can't believe David Cross and Kevin Davies thought he was the best striker in the Championship, imagine if they were our scouts, or in charge? :lol:

I haven't seen David Cross say that? Quoted as saying the guy is a bit raw, but has a bit about him...and may remind us of him...

Did KD say more? "Ive seen him say he is one of the best" Coiuld be one of the ten best... 20 best...
upton o'good

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:18 pm

Hugill and 10m for Shaqiri in the summer?
Jumby

Postby Ludeksgloves on Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:47 pm

Jumby wrote:Hugill and 10m for Shaqiri in the summer?

One of the wierdest looking blokes I have ever seen. (Shaqiri)

Looks like an overweight dwarf who has got into a steroid routine.
Ludeksgloves

Postby Colours never run on Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Jumby wrote:Hugill and 10m for Shaqiri in the summer?

1000%

I'm a big Shaqiri fan. Reunite him with Arnie.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Haha, he's incredibly talented though and links up well with Arnie. I doubt we'll keep Mario and Lanzini will almost certainly be off in the summer. With Antonio fast becoming the new Carroll I think we need to up our attacking options.
Jumby

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:09 pm

Very odd signing as it stands that only makes footballing sense as a combination of punt, homegrown quota filler and hedge bet in case of relegation.

Smells a bit like signing Fletcher, Nordtveit and Randolph with a view to reselling at a profit not long after.
bubbles1966

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion