Jordan Hugill

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Jordan Hugill

Postby Het-Field on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:13 pm

I’m glad he did get some time yesterday. But the fact that we have no recognised striker available apart from him, and he is only getting on in games which are wrapped up or he is remaining on the bench makes the transfer look all the more curious.
Het-Field

Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Postby Colours never run on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Being comfortably 3-0 up by the hour mark, it was the optune moment to play him without risking the result and gives him a pressure free game to come on with enough time to impress without having too much pressure on his shoulders. Pointless giving him just the arse End of games as he's never got a chance to get into them.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby mattyD on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Het-Field wrote:I’m glad he did get some time yesterday. But the fact that we have no recognised striker available apart from him, and he is only getting on in games which are wrapped up or he is remaining on the bench makes the transfer look all the more curious.

I think we can safely say now that Arnie is recognised as a striker. He's not gonna be playing anywhere else.
mattyD

Postby Samba on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Colours never run wrote:Pointless giving him just the arse End of games as he's never got a chance to get into them.

Good point Cnr but I fear young Jordan may end up being another Sam Baldock. As bizarre a signing for us, as the Snod. Still think that Sully sanctioned it, only so he could say that we DID buy someone, in January.
If you're gonna buy a striker from the Championship, make it the BEST striker in the Championship. Whoever that was/is. Hugill wasn't it.
I would love to be proved wrong, for us & the lad.
Samba

Location: Seriously hoping that we are not going to be next season's Everton..

Postby the celestial insect on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:51 pm

I assumed Arnie didn't come off earlier because he might have had a chance of a hat-trick.
the celestial insect

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:02 pm

I don't see how a player like Hugill can have any future at the club if we stay up, unless we reappointed Allardyce. A Championship club will probably take him off of our hands in the summer, providing we haven't put him on wages higher than his ability should ever command.

I remember laughing when Spurs signed Andy Booth on loan, 17 years ago, but at least he had top flight experience and at least they knew not to make a signing like that permanent. We sold two international attackers and in came this startled lad.
Jumby

Postby MB on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Het-Field wrote:I’m glad he did get some time yesterday. But the fact that we have no recognised striker available apart from him, and he is only getting on in games which are wrapped up or he is remaining on the bench makes the transfer look all the more curious.

The chance to sell Ayew came up and Hugill was the only player available (Palace were in talks to sign him) at a price Sulli would pay. Pure PR move IMO and no doubt we'll dump him for a loss in the summer.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby billtho on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:15 pm

This is def not a Sully signing..for 10 million hed want an international has been..100 per cent moyes bloomer this one
billtho

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Why are we so bothered

Few years ago spurs bought any semi decent champ player

Routledge, Huddleston , caulker, Lennon

Many many more

They never made a massive loss on them if didn’t work out..

12 mil is the new 3 mil punt

Suits us more than Hernandez right now if arnie pick up a knock
mumbles87

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:16 pm

I still think he’s going to score a crucial goal for us.
DasNutNock

Postby carnage on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:17 pm

No way was he a Moyes signing.
carnage

Postby fmgod on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Caulker was home grown
Lennon had played a few games in the Prem already and was a kid
Routeledge had already had a season in the prem and was young
Huddlestone was young

Hugill is 25 not 21
fmgod

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:35 pm

fmgod wrote:Caulker was home grown
Lennon had played a few games in the Prem already and was a kid
Routeledge had already had a season in the prem and was young
Huddlestone was young

Hugill is 25 not 21

There were many many more tho not just those.. naughton, Walker , Gunter, rose too many can’t even think of them top of my head

Point is we won’t loose money on him. He was a punt and does a job
mumbles87

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:47 pm

billtho wrote:This is def not a Sully signing..for 10 million hed want an international has been..100 per cent moyes bloomer this one

Not a cat in hell's that Moyes has said let's throw a few quid at this (it ain't his money anyway) - it reeks of Sullivan.

There's probably some angle involved.
bubbles1966

Postby Puff Daddy on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:00 pm

If we are still a Premier league team next year and it is now looking more likely we will, he will probably be moved off somewhere on loan
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:04 pm

I definitely think we'll lose money on him, who the f**k, besides us, would pay what we did for him? Especially after how he's fared so far, he's hardly going to have retained what we stupidly valued him at given the non impact he's made.

None of this is really his fault, it's just a stupid signing.
Jumby

Postby MB on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:12 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:
Not a cat in hell's that Moyes has said let's throw a few quid at this (it ain't his money anyway) - it reeks of Sullivan.

There's probably some angle involved.

Well funnily enough the other player linked with both us and Palace is meant to be the one the infamous email was about. Could be a coincidence or could be they both had the same agent.

The only link to Moyes is that he played for Preston. That is it.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby OohAahButler on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:18 pm

billtho wrote:This is def not a Sully signing..for 10 million hed want an international has been..100 per cent moyes bloomer this one

I think I agree. Spunking ten million on an unknown from the championship isn’t Sully’s MO.
If and when we do secure the points to stay up, I really hope the lad gets a little run in the team. Got to be more worthwhile than another Carroll comeback.
OohAahButler

Postby ereford ammer on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Jumby wrote:I definitely think we'll lose money on him, who the f**k, besides us, would pay what we did for him? Especially after how he's fared so far, he's hardly going to have retained what we stupidly valued him at given the non impact he's made.

None of this is really his fault, it's just a stupid signing.

Exactly. We really are awful at getting players. A complete waste of money.
ereford ammer

Postby ChzMff on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:23 pm

Were people really expecting him to come in, start every week and bag half a dozen goals? The lad has never played at the top level. He’s slowly being worked in. Look at the way we used a similar player with plenty of raw attributes but who had not had traditional coaching in Antonio. He was called a waste of money then too. The expectation, dramatics and short-termism is so bleedin’ tedious.
ChzMff

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion