Jordan Hugill

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Jordan Hugill

Postby ereford ammer on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:47 pm

Then why don't we try a novel approach and buy a player who is ready for the top flight? We needed a goal scorer in January who could contribute to our under-strength side not some player from the fizz who may possibly prove useful next season.
ereford ammer

Postby trevshead10may1980 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:02 am

OohAahButler wrote:I think I agree. Spunking ten million on an unknown from the championship isn’t Sully’s MO.
If and when we do secure the points to stay up, I really hope the lad gets a little run in the team. Got to be more worthwhile than another Carroll comeback.

Exactly. I am sick of seeing the poor bloke slagged off in here when he has had no chance to prove himself in our colours. Give him a chance.
trevshead10may1980

Postby Jumby on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:12 am

ChzMff wrote:Look at the way we used a similar player with plenty of raw attributes but who had not had traditional coaching in Antonio. He was called a waste of money then too. The expectation, dramatics and short-termism is so bleedin’ tedious.

Antonio was tearing up that league before he joined us, he was scoring and assisting more, from the wing, than Jordan Hugill was playing up front for Preston. Antonio was also in far better shape when we signed him, ok, he's experiencing injury problems now but he's in far better shape than Jordan Hugill. Fwiw I never thought Antonio was a waste of money and if you look at my posts two and a half years ago I was always banging on about wanting him to play because I really rated him. Hugill will never have the same impact as Antonio, no way. It's not his fault, he's just not good enough, he's done nothing in his career to suggest he is anyway and I strongly suspect he won't. There's nothing wrong with that, a large percentage of professional footballers weren't or aren't good enough for the top flight. The only thing wrong with it is that we were stupid enough to sign him.

I'm happy to stick my neck out and say that this is a completely duff signing, a waste of time and money. I said the same about Maiga, Valencia, Emenike and all the s**t that Sully has brought in on loan. I was right then and I'll be right again.

Jordan Hugill should be in the lower leagues, Championship and League One, that's his level, we've just f**ked with football by sticking him in a shirt with Premier League badges on the sleeves.
Jumby

Postby Wilko1304 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:42 am

But you weren’t right about Antonio...

No way to know yet, really. I’ll never be annoyed at a signing like that. As is ever thus, a punt on an English Championship player isn’t ever that big a risk as he’ll retain his value, yet could gain more.

Can’t criticise the club on this one, sorry. Not every signing works, but better clubs than us have grown by taking players they fancy from the Champ.

Even less so with a player who I’m sure was seen as effectively 4th choice up there.
Wilko1304

Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Postby Jumby on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:01 am

Wilko1304 wrote:But you weren’t right about Antonio...

No way to know yet, really. I’ll never be annoyed at a signing like that. As is ever thus, a punt on an English Championship player isn’t ever that big a risk as he’ll retain his value, yet could gain more.

Can’t criticise the club on this one, sorry. Not every signing works, but better clubs than us have grown by taking players they fancy from the Champ.

Even less so with a player who I’m sure was seen as effectively 4th choice up there.

What? I always said Antonio deserved a chance as I thought he was decent, Antonio got his chance, Antonio got an England call up. I wasn't wrong at all.

Not every signing works? Is that the footnote of every signing we make, when does one of these random lower league signings work? Cresswell had just been voted the best left back in the Championship, Antonio had been tearing it up down there, they weren't random punts, before we go down that well trodden path.

You honestly think Hugill will retain his value? Not even David Levy could get that money back, no way.
Jumby

Postby kayahammer on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:01 am

He's the next 'roger the relegator'
kayahammer

Postby jastons on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Assuming we don't get relegated this season, will Hughill ever start a game for us?
jastons

Postby 61dicksey on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 pm

jastons wrote:Assuming we don't get relegated this season, will Hughill ever start a game for us?

Farm him out on loan i guess, Sullivan has Chelsea ideas with Macclesfield money
61dicksey

Postby smuts on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Wilko1304 wrote:But you weren’t right about Antonio...

In our shaky position we shouldn't have spent the only money we laid out on a championship punt. We needed some quality to go straight in there.
smuts

Postby polar on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:29 pm

With each passing game, his signing gets stranger and stranger. He seems so far away from the first team that having him is pointless.
polar

Postby ereford ammer on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 pm

jastons wrote:Assuming we don't get relegated this season, will Hughill ever start a game for us?

Possibly in the 3rd round of the FA cup if we are drawn against a lower league side. Pointless signing.
ereford ammer

Postby Jumby on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:34 pm

Anyone who can see any positivity or reason in this signing probably believes that Roy Race was a real person and Rocky Balboa is the greatest boxer of all time, and they still believe in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy. Sorry if I've spoilt it all for you.
Jumby

Postby noblecause on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:40 pm

It's probably been mentioned before, but he looked like a fish out of water during the open training session at the stadium a couple of weeks back, woeful finishing for a striker.
noblecause

Postby swash on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:47 pm

Jumby wrote:Anyone who can see any positivity or reason in this signing probably believes that Roy Race was a real person and Rocky Balboa is the greatest boxer of all time, and they still believe in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy. Sorry if I've spoilt it all for you.

You b*stard
swash

Postby mushy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 pm

He was bought as insurance in case we went down.
Sullivan planning for relegation as he often does.
He will either be flogged off at a small profit or go on loan next season before being sold.
mushy

Postby Jumby on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:05 am

We won't make a profit, no way, I've said it before, even Levy wouldn't manage it.
Jumby

Postby MD_HM on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:21 am

In the open training session the other week he was awful, looked like he’d won a competition to train with the club...

Brought for 10m... well 2m upfront and a further 2m a year for four years no doubt

Looks like we spent 10m

Sold to the championship in the summer for 8m upfront, pays off what was owed
MD_HM

Postby hadleighhammer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:40 am

Either he is a Moyes signing and he should never be trusted on transfers again, or (I think most likely) Moyes is the boards patsy letting Sully make the signings as he is just desperate for a job to pay the mortgage and doesnt want to upset his employer.

Same with Evra.

Either way it doesnt reflect well on Moyes. Hugill is clearly going to be a waste of time and cash.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby Puff Daddy on Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:24 pm

Payments to Preston for every time he starts a match That's probably a big part of this deal
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:42 pm

On the bench again today, never any chance of him getting on, he's essentially a season ticket holder that gets to train and sit with the first team.
Jumby

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion