Jordan Hugill

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Jordan Hugill

Postby Exiledin cardiff on Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:28 pm

I think this is the only one signing we have made that may work out. If the worst ( some will say the best) happens and we are relegated. Hughill will be leading the line.

if we go down Arnie Hernandez and Antonio will be off with only Championship proven Hugill as senior striker with maybe Martinez backing him up.
Exiledin cardiff

Postby Het-Field on Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:44 pm

smuts wrote:Any club with an ounce of sense in a bit of a relegation pickle in the winter window would sign someone to go straight in and be a first choice pick especially after selling someone in the same position for 18 million....

Hopefully he's just bedding in and will be given a chance and it's not because he can't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

I think its disappointing that a month after he signed he has made little or no impact. Sure, he has been on the bench, but you would like to think that he would be given a chance to get involved, and perhaps eak out a position for himself. Him and Mario on the bench is truly gutting, as it begins to look like we are going for the same old dross that has us in the position we are currently in.
Het-Field

Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Postby Jumby on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Exiledin cardiff wrote:I think this is the only one signing we have made that may work out. If the worst ( some will say the best) happens and we are relegated. Hughill will be leading the line.

if we go down Arnie Hernandez and Antonio will be off with only Championship proven Hugill as senior striker with maybe Martinez backing him up.

That's a really depressing thought, if we go down our main striker being a one in three Championship striker. F**k.

Nothing against the lad at all but it seemed like a weird signing at the time, it seems even weirder now.
Jumby

Postby trevshead10may1980 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:43 pm

I just cannot understand why we signed him if we are not going to use him. Just 2 brief sub appearances so far, ridiculous. At least give the bloke a start and let us see if he is any good, surely things can't get any worse.
trevshead10may1980

Postby Jumby on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:52 pm

He'll probably play at centre half soon :lol:

Very strange that he isn't getting much action despite us getting smashed and looking toothless, if he's not good enough, at his age, I don't think he ever will be. He's not got the attributes to 'do a Vardy', before anyone jumps on the hopeful notion that now seems to be applied to every striker that comes up through the leagues.
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Since leaving Preston their results appear to have slightly improved, and they have a new goalscoring hero, Sean Maguire with 7 in 15, remember him? He's got a better goals to games ratio than our 12m subs bench ornament.

I hope Jordan gets a chance to prove my fears wrong, and does just that, I really do.
Jumby

Postby thejackhammer on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Jumby wrote:Since leaving Preston their results appear to have slightly improved, and they have a new goalscoring hero, Sean Maguire with 7 in 15, remember him? He's got a better goals to games ratio than our 12m subs bench ornament.

I hope Jordan gets a chance to prove my fears wrong, and does just that, I really do.

He has played two games since playing alongside Hugill in their game against Aston Villa in November...
thejackhammer

Postby Jumby on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:49 pm

He scored his seventh of the season tonight, and scored two at the weekend.
Jumby

Postby libero on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:54 am

I have a feeling that this was one of those signings that the manager wasn't consulted on

Moyes lost his grip on the transfer market before he left Everton and almost certainly didn't
have a clue who this lad was.

But they signed him anyway, and Moyes gets to see him in training and he thinks "Is he a better option than Chicharito, Arnautovic, Lanzini, Antonio or Mario?"

Obviously not it would seem :eh:
libero

Postby jacko on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:05 pm

libero wrote:
almost certainly didn't have a clue who this lad was.

Not sure about this. He has strong connections to Preston.
jacko

Postby claretandblue82 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 pm

If he doesn't make it I can see him been shipped out on loan next January with a move in 18 months. As others have said it is a strange signing!
claretandblue82

Postby NW5hammer on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:56 pm

libero wrote:I have a feeling that this was one of those signings that the manager wasn't consulted on

Moyes lost his grip on the transfer market before he left Everton and almost certainly didn't
have a clue who this lad was.

But they signed him anyway, and Moyes gets to see him in training and he thinks "Is he a better option than Chicharito, Arnautovic, Lanzini, Antonio or Mario?"

Obviously not it would seem :eh:

I don't think he was meant to be a better player than Arnie or Hernandez - I think he was bought to give us the option of a hard-working target man to cover for Carroll and any further injuries - and to give an option off the bench. Unlikely we'll lose money on hims like we did with Ayew.
NW5hammer

Postby tizzwoz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:59 pm

He was signed because when we sell him within the next 12 months, he'll retain or even increase his transfer value regardless of not kicking a ball for us. He was the safest option financially speaking.
tizzwoz

Postby The Gibbins on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Exiledin cardiff wrote:I think this is the only one signing we have made that may work out. If the worst ( some will say the best) happens and we are relegated. Hughill will be leading the line.

im not so sure as he has hardly been prolific at any stage of his career. He was a 1 in 4 kind of striker in the Championship so i don't think i would be looking at him to lead the line if the worst was to happen.

Quite honestly i think this signing has stinker all over it, the fact he has hardly featured yet when we aren't even playing particularly well doesn't bode well in my opinion. Like any player he needs a chance but i don't think there is much logic to this business.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby Iron Alex on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Maybe we're jumping the gun with conspiracies early on? I don't know myself. I would certainly liked to have seen more of him to form an impression. He's still an unknown, I don't know what he offers and whether he will be up to the Prem yet. But that's not his fault.
Iron Alex

Postby Jumby on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:43 pm

If we sell him we lose money on him, unless we loan him to a Championship side next season and he bangs in 25 goals and helps them to promotion, that's the only way we'd get the stupid figure we paid for him back. He's not done anything in his career to suggest he'd score 25 goals in the Championship so that's probably a bit far fetched. Maybe if Preston sneak in the play offs and go up we could sell him back to them for 9m. Whatever happens, we're losing money on this signing and my gut feeling is it's not going to work out.
Jumby

Postby Puff Daddy on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:17 pm

This is a difficult one for the two Dave's.The poor guy has so far managed only 12 minutes in a West Ham shirt and that as a late substitute in a game already well and truly lost. What this tells me is, Moyes doesn't yet think he is a difference maker and with their decisions to sell both Fonte and Ayew already. begining to bite them in the bum and what with them fighting to stave off fans protests, they will be anxious to see their man repay their faith in him, but if he doesn't get that chance, I wonder if they might decide to appoint a yes man who will
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby ayriron on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:01 am

[

[/quote]
Not sure about this. He has strong connections to Preston.[/quote]

your right, sure a preston fan came on said moyes knew about him and had watched him regularly
ayriron

Postby Johnny_C WHU on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:24 pm

I think he has been bought as a cheap man's Andy Carroll. He will be happy on the bench and will give us a different option.

People refer to his goal scoring stats and I don't think he has been bought to be our 20 goal a season striker, I think he would play to make our other players better, kinda like Hesky back in the day. He is a handful and strong, who better to hold the ball up and wait for Lanzini or Arnie to get involved or even take away a couple of markers etc...

Problem is we haven't been given the luxury of playing any more forward players because we have to play three at the back!
Johnny_C WHU

Postby Jumby on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm

Johnny_C WHU wrote:People refer to his goal scoring stats and I don't think he has been bought to be our 20 goal a season striker, I think he would play to make our other players better, kinda like Hesky back in the day. He is a handful and strong, who better to hold the ball up and wait for Lanzini or Arnie to get involved or even take away a couple of markers etc...

I admire your optimism. In regards to your question, who better? A fit Andy Carroll, a proven top flight talent. This site used to be full of people saying Charlie Austin and Jordan Rhodes weren't good enough for us, and they were banging in more than a goal ever other game down there. I just don't know how it ever came to us moving stadium to spunk 12m on a startled bloke from Preston North End with a goal every three or four games goal scoring ratio. It's not Jordans fault of course, but this really is poor, especially when the bloke we sold on the same day tore us apart last weekend.
Jumby

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion