West Ham Utd 2-0 Watford (10/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by sutts07 »

I know that we have a distinct lack of left sided player's but I honestly cannot believe Antonio wasn't replaced after 60min.

He had a blinding first half, their right back will no doubt still be having nightmares about him tonight due to him being so good. But after an hour his race was well and truly run.

He wasn't getting forward, couldn't close down, his passing and decision making were all over the place... and all due to fatigue. We are very fortunate that Watford and their new little guy with really s**t hair didn't exploit him.

As it was, he found enough in the tank to be involved in the build up to the second and we were able to see the game out so it will go widely unnoticed.

Minor gripe on an otherwise impressive display. Arnautovic is unplayable at times. A real joy to watch.

Ogbonna must be close to the form of his life under Moyes. Collins was epic too.

Hernandez worked a lot harder and showed just what he can do given a chance in the box. Should have done better with the two one on ones though!
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Shame we let them have a twenty or so minute spell in the second half, but what a great performance from us lot.

Felt a bit sorry for Mario. He seemed to drift in and out.

And give Arnie a free roll. He was almost playing that way against Watfrd
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

continental skills wrote:He did look a bit lightweight in a couple of situations today, but the referee gave us nothing in particular when Watford went in pushing our players in the back. He looks intelligent enough as a player to learn from days like today, and as you say, he is new to this league.
What I am impressed with is his free-kick taking - he has the knack of putting in balls just beyond the defensive line from wide positions that are really difficult to defend against, and was only a hair-line offside decision from getting a great assist with one of those yesterday.
I shared the same thoughts. I actually didn't think he looked that bad, and he also popped in a decent free-kick that resulted in Arnautovic firing one right at the keeper.
Snorrimon

Post by Snorrimon »

I'll admit I didn't watch the whole 90 minutes, as I was trying to stop the kids starting World War 3, but I thought that, from the bits of play I did catch, we looked reasonably comfortable and confident and there were plenty of performances to celebrate... What was very promising was that there didn't seem to be any crisis of confidence after the Brighton result and performance - a side which looked like it was enjoying itself, looked like it had goals in it and, defended well enough to feel, barring any amazing play from the opposition, that it could deal with most of what was thrown at it... Watford were below par, but, as the cliche runs, you can only beat what's in front of you... I thought that, despite looking poor generally against Brighton, were it not for their second goal, we could have kicked on and got something from the game. That we bounced back on a Saturday bodes well for a run in which is inevitably going to feature some poor results, but may also include some surprises - hopefully starting against Liverpool!
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

kayahammer wrote:Shame we let them have a twenty or so minute spell in the second half, but what a great performance from us lot.

Felt a bit sorry for Mario. He seemed to drift in and out.

And give Arnie a free roll. He was almost playing that way against Watfrd
Agreed - although Mario did put in some quality crosses before he disappeared.

30% possession at home is not a great statistic. For long periods we did not seem to have control of the ball. Fortunately the defence was resolute, and Ginge got his head onto just about everything!
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

kayahammer wrote:And give Arnie a free roll.
Sausage or bacon?
vind

Post by vind »

Any chance of an OV this week?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Watford
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132193

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U3qkqoik71Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Watford
they are right about the stadium
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

The last OV post about the bloke falling down the stairs got me :lol:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

As everyone knows, West Ham fans are genuine scum. I don't hate West Ham, I just wish they didn't exist. We were clearly better than them, but didn't fight hard enough and slumped to an extremely frustrating defeat.
:lol:
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

As everyone knows, West Ham fans are genuine scum. I don't hate West Ham, I just wish they didn't exist.

Give this man a seat on the board
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Watford
"One guy was so angry he had to cross the stairs to swear at the West Ham fans - then fell down the stairs, much to their amusement. Summed up the day for me."

:D
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Behind the scenes on Saturday.

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KSrZhOL4CpY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
dave_l
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

I do love when the Oppo fans describe an entire fansbase as scum like this. Do they think it makes them look even remotely clever?
Patito

Post by Patito »

I like how whenever we beat someone all they will talk about is the stadium. They've been before they know what it's like.
dave_l
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Patito wrote:I like how whenever we beat someone all they will talk about is the stadium. They've been before they know what it's like.
I'm no fan of the OS but Vicarage Road is an absolute hole as well!
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I thought the video was absolutely a brilliant summing up of the game. Some of the other comments were what you'd expect from losing away fans, biased, snarky and sour grapes.