West Ham Utd 2-0 Watford (10/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by Jon »

All really good players will migrate to the top 6.

Unless we get an Arab like City or a Russian like CFC, this is our lot. Why do people have any higher ambitions than this??? Because GSB said so?? Give me a break.

Spuds got lucky with Kane through the system and Pleat scouting Alli from MKD (for peanuts).

Mid table, top flight IS West Ham. We're doing just fine.
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

Also not a Moyes lover but I think comparing him to Allardyce or Pulis is a step too far. Similar mould but at least at times he does try to get the team playing and starting with Chicharito, Arnautovic and Joao Mario would suggest the lumping it was never on. First half we dominated and played some decent stuff at times. Create plenty of chances and should have been a couple up at half time. 2nd half Watford made some changes and that pushed us back a bit deep. Defended solidly though and can't remember Adrian being troubled and arguably still had the better chances.

Was a very important game to win so can hardly blame Moyes or the players for being gung ho! 1 nil play sensibly and try to get a second on the break or set piece which we did. Solid victory can't see whats to complain about.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Didn't see us winning that game, pretty much safe now, one win and a draw or 2 and that's us ready to finish 10th- 20th next season.
Exciting times ahead :lol:
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We may have won and we played well in parts first half but our tactics second half were really poor. We defended so deep and simply gave it back to them time after time. Personally think we were lucky to get away with that win.
Really negatuve anti football in the 2nd half
So you're saying our players giving the ball away in the second half was part of Moyes 'anti-football' strategy? :lol:

What a load of nonsense. This was a must win game and we won it convincing despite being put under heavy pressure in the second half. Our players struggled to get their foot on the ball and were making the wrong decisions when in possession in that spell - Noble, Antonio and even Arnautovic were all guilty of it at various points. We have struggled to dominate games in midfield all season because of our personnel there which is why Moyes sets up like he does. If we had actually invested in a decent defensive midfielder or two in January I'm certain we'd be retaining the ball more in these situations. As it is he's doing the best with what we have at the moment. To try and make out he's Allardyce Mk2 is laughable
Last edited by Irrons on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernie_Lama
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Bernie_Lama »

brothernero wrote:Home to Palace, Bournemouth and Watford. Away to Brighton.

5 Points. Very poor return that, had we been more positive in the 2nd half of those game, we easily could have picked up plenty of more points.

Jon I could not care less where our average league position has been over the last 50 years. I watch Football and West Ham to be entertained. Not to watch us try and score a goal and then put all 11 players behind the ball. Most certainly not at home and to teams such as the above.

That's why so many of us wanted Sam out and it is why so many don't want Moyes here next season.

3 texts already from mates at the game all saying the same. Good win, but a chore to watch.

If Moyes keeps us safe, then he will get all the credit he rightly deserves, does not mean he should be here next season or long term. Even at Everton his teams played the same style.

New Stadium now, new ambitions now, next level promised now, top players being signed now. That is what the fans were promised. I would hope that would mean not trying to play dull negative defensive football and simply trying to stay 17th each year while sticking two fingers up to the cups.

See for me and so many others that I know, if offered Premier League football with the aim to stay safe and having to play that kind of football or Championship or Lower but at least trying to play attacking football, I know which one we would prefer.

And before anyone says Moyes does not have the players, yes he does and he also did at Everton, Man United and Sociadad.

Moyes, Pulis, Allardyce. Does exactly what it says on the tin. But they are not for me.
just because you're not a moyes fan, doesn't mean you have to be so miserable after the win. First half we were all over them. Should of been out of sight 3 or 4. Played some decent football. Why just focus on the second half? Compared to some of the football at the start of the season it's like watching Brazil and I liked Slav but Moyes is getting far more out of these players now. You can't deny that.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

A good effort today........ Over the 90 minutes we were the better side and deserved the win. We looked much more of a balanced side than we have been looking recently. :thup: We still look unfit though .........
Last edited by costa75 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irrons

Post by Irrons »

Bournemouth are near top of the premier league form table the last six games and Palace were up there too until today. We don't have a divine right to win any of these games. The only game that really disappointed me in this run was the loss at Brighton which we deserved nothing from. Didn't help that Brighton decided they would play like Brazil but it wasn't up to scratch. Other than that I think Moyes is doing a cracking job in the circumstances
Last edited by Irrons on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Didn't see us winning that game, pretty much safe now, one win and a draw or 2 and that's us ready to finish 10th- 20th next season.
No chance 35-36 points will see us safe. 38 might not even be enough this season.

39 Should do it, 40 most likely will. 41 will.

No where near safe as yet, even more so with our final run of fixtures.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Irrons wrote:Bournemouth are top of the premier league form table the last six games and Palace were up there too until today. We don't have a divine right to win any of theae games
Don't think anyone has said we did. We can however expect to take the game to those teams and try and create and score. Especially seeing as we were the home team.
Irrons

Post by Irrons »

Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton and Watford all have loads of pace in their sides, especially in midfield and their midfielders are all very fit mostly young players who can sprint for near enough 90 minutes. We lack pace all over the pitch and our fitness at the start of the season under Bilic was abysmal. Again, all of this has had an effect on the way we're currently set up. If the board actually want to back their manager and buy some decent young pacy central midfielders to fix what has been a problem area for 2 seasons running maybe we might see a change
Last edited by Irrons on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Some great attacking in the first half, some excellent defending in the second half, full commitment from everyone, an academy player finishing the game and a deserved 2-0 victory that probably should have been 3-0 or 4-0. Entertaining enough for me, that's for sure. :crest:
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

brothernero wrote:
Don't think anyone has said we did. We can however expect to take the game to those teams and try and create and score. Especially seeing as we were the home team.
I can kind of see your point. But we scored one in the first half, had one disallowed, could have had others, had breakaways in the second half, scored another - and yet did Adrian have a save to make?
Castle
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Castle »

Good result in the scheme of things, for those who are talking about not playing a nice brand of football, we haven't played good football (except 1) since GSB took over. Surely we can't blame Sam, Billic and Moyes for that....

We have spent peanuts on our defence, free transfer of a goal keeper, no defensive midfielder. The last two managers have resorted to a formation they would prefer not to play. But yet we will blame a manager who has an unbalanced squad which was weakened in the last window, who has lost one league game this calender year.

We had one year of nice football, that was down to us getting lucky signing a world class player, but again what happens a lack of investment on a right back and a defensive midfielder costs us a position in the champions league and the next season upset our world class player with broken promises about next level signings.

we can change the manager over and over again, the results and the team's play isn't going to change while our board are playing real life football manager.
Last edited by Castle on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

I don't think we ever looked like conceding today. First 20 minutes of the second half, we allowed them to have too much of the ball (which the didn't do anything with) but other than that, I thought it was a good performance and we should have had one or two more.

Arnie being back was huge, we need him fit for sure and nice to see Hernandez on the score sheet again and this time on the right end of the result.

Happy with that, well done boys!

COYI :crest:
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

WorcesterWHU

First half of the last 4 games. We have played well and created plenty of chances. So why in each of those last 4 games have we then come out in the 2nd half and played negative, put everyone behind the ball football.

3 of those games at home, 12 points up for grabs, we ended up with just 5.

The way I see it, had we been more positive in each of those 2nd half's, we may have ended up with 9 or more points.

Moyes is doing a good job this season in the League, but his tactics are no different to what they were with his 3 previous clubs. I don't see that ever changing, so I am hoping if he keeps us up we can thank him for his efforts and look to bring someone else in for the start of next season.

With all that being said, while GSB are here, it's all rather pointless because things will never improve and imho it's a case of WHEN and not WILL we will go down.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Korea Hammer wrote:Some great attacking in the first half, some excellent defending in the second half, full commitment from everyone, an academy player finishing the game and a deserved 2-0 victory that probably should have been 3-0 or 4-0. Entertaining enough for me, that's for sure. :crest:
:thup:
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

We dominated the first half. The team was set up to attack and we could have been 2 to 3 nil up. Second half Watford came back a bit but didn’t create much. It was obvious that our biggest weakness was the lack of pace in Ginge and Zabaleta - thus to play a high defensive line would be silly when 1-0 up, Playing deeper neutralises Watfod’s pace advantage versus our defenders. This was sensible, especially given two key players just back from injury therefore had fitness issues. Good tactics and game management again by the Manager. Can’t believe some still find reason to gripe about a good solid performances.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Korea Hammer wrote:Some great attacking in the first half, some excellent defending in the second half, full commitment from everyone, an academy player finishing the game and a deserved 2-0 victory that probably should have been 3-0 or 4-0. Entertaining enough for me, that's for sure. :crest:
‘Nuff said
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

Well said that man :thup:
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

brothernero wrote:Home to Palace, Bournemouth and Watford. Away to Brighton.

5 Points. Very poor return that, had we been more positive in the 2nd half of those game, we easily could have picked up plenty of more points.

Jon I could not care less where our average league position has been over the last 50 years. I watch Football and West Ham to be entertained. Not to watch us try and score a goal and then put all 11 players behind the ball. Most certainly not at home and to teams such as the above.

That's why so many of us wanted Sam out and it is why so many don't want Moyes here next season.

3 texts already from mates at the game all saying the same. Good win, but a chore to watch.

If Moyes keeps us safe, then he will get all the credit he rightly deserves, does not mean he should be here next season or long term. Even at Everton his teams played the same style.

New Stadium now, new ambitions now, next level promised now, top players being signed now. That is what the fans were promised. I would hope that would mean not trying to play dull negative defensive football and simply trying to stay 17th each year while sticking two fingers up to the cups.

See for me and so many others that I know, if offered Premier League football with the aim to stay safe and having to play that kind of football or Championship or Lower but at least trying to play attacking football, I know which one we would prefer.

And before anyone says Moyes does not have the players, yes he does and he also did at Everton, Man United and Sociadad.

Moyes, Pulis, Allardyce. Does exactly what it says on the tin. But they are not for me.
Getting rid of Moyes would be stupid. Watford put 4 past Chelsea a few days ago and we’ve just beaten them 2 nil. We had a depleted team against palace and were unlucky not to win. Bournemouth was a fair result and Brighton was just one of them days.
Watford are more powerful and fitter. We were right to sit in and defend something, especially as we had Antonio and Marko who had just returned. Mario and noble were pretty ineffective today due to Watford’s power and strength. Today was a very good result. I’m not quite sure why you’d want to pull it apart and dig out the manager