Patrice Evra free transfer

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Patrice Evra free transfer

Postby The Sherriff on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 am

During his short time with us, he will be remembered more for his cringy videos that his performances.

If another PL club had signed him, most of those endorsing his signing would be slughtering them.
The Sherriff

Postby Turns to Stone on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 am

Just for the record, I'm not endorsing his signing, just trying to explain the signing.

We're short in midfield, Evra's signing means that Rice will probably provide that cover.
Turns to Stone

Postby Jumby on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Ding wrote:Folks on a forum stomping their feet not giving respected pro a chance before he has had a kick in our colours. The same folks who have never seen this guy train, don’t know his physical condition, don’t know the intended position(s) he has been signed to temporarily cover (including DM?), clueless about his leadership and personality, don’t know the transfer strategy Moyes seems to be putting in place for the summer now that he is very likely to stay on...

History repeats.

Joy.

Have you been in a coma for the last 8 years? I think most of us are just being very realistic, and the thought of him trying out at DM is quite frankly ridiculous when there was one literally ready made and waiting to come here in Dendoncker.
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Turns to Stone wrote:We're short in midfield, Evra's signing means that Rice will probably provide that cover.

Evra at centre half is an experiment I'd rather we don't make.
Jumby

Postby Turns to Stone on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Jumby wrote:
Evra at centre half is an experiment I'd rather we don't make.

Why not? I doubt many of us would have thought of utilising Cresswell in that role, but Moyes has done it and it seems to be working well for player and club.

As I say, I’m not say8ng I thin’ it’s a good signing as I don’t particularly. But one thing that looks clear to me is that Moyes seems to be trying to build a squad where we have similar styled players capable of cover8ng f9r each other, as opposed to just a bunch of players all with different skills and every tim someone got injured we would have to move two or three other players around to solve the problem.
Turns to Stone

Postby TommyHammer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm

See we're linked with a young Right Back at Fulham called Ryan Fredericks. Exactly the sort of player I feel Moyes and West Ham should be looking at. 25 years old, blistering pace and someone I feel Moyes could be a great coach to.
TommyHammer

Postby iLoveLasagne on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 pm

If Evra is earning near £75k, it begs the question why is Sullivan so crap when it comes to negotiating wages? He is reluctant to bid and pay for targets unless they have been in the Premier League in many instances and then he goes all stupid. Evra was without a club and it hardly seems people were queuing up to offer him a contract.
iLoveLasagne

Postby Jumby on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 pm

TTS, I think Rice is doing a decent job at left centre back so I'd rather keep him in there, learning, developing, playing alongside players that will hopefully be here next season, than trial a 36 year old left back, who's here for eleven matches, there. It has worked out ok with Cresswell playing there, but we don't really need Evra stepping in front of what I hope will be a future first team fixture.
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 pm

TommyHammer wrote:See we're linked with a young Right Back at Fulham called Ryan Fredericks. Exactly the sort of player I feel Moyes and West Ham should be looking at. 25 years old, blistering pace and someone I feel Moyes could be a great coach to.

Him and Byram competing and rotating at right wing back could be very tasty.
Jumby

Postby westlondonhammer on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 am

For me Evra was bought specifically for games like Liverpool this weekend.

At Brighton having Cresswell at LWB and Rice at LCB cost us the first goal. Cresswell's rash challenge when unsure of his position and Rice switching off to play Murray onside as Collins and Obgonna stepped up combined for a very un-Moyes soft goal.

Cresswell has shown he is best at LCB under Moyes and so keeping him there makes sense.

Antonio in a game where Moyes wants extra defensive depth is not ideal. I'm not sure if his defensive performance on Saturday would have been enough to convince Moyes that he will be good enough against one of the free-flowing attacking team in the country. I'd expect him back in the team against a less threatening team.

Evra will likely play at LWB this weekend.

If he doesn't play than that tells me this wasn't a Moyes signing.
westlondonhammer

Postby hadleighhammer on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 am

westlondonhammer wrote:For me Evra was bought specifically for games like Liverpool this weekend.....Evra will likely play at LWB this weekend.

Liverpool away is probably the worst game for him to play LWB. At 37 playing LWB he will get absolutely mullered for pace defensively and not have the legs to get forward.

The only way Evra at LWB would work is if Moyes puts 11 behind the ball on our 18 yard box and is told not to cross the halfway line, so is basically a LB in a 5, which is a possibility.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby Jumby on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm

We play Liverpool on the 24th, I very much doubt Evra will start.
Jumby

Postby IG8Hammer on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:05 pm

37 year Evra trying to keep tabs on Mane, Salah etc. would be brutal I fear.
IG8Hammer

Postby goa127 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Against Liverpool we will line up very defensively very much like at City. Liverpool love to play on the counter and their Achilles heel is usually breaking down dogged defences. I can see Evra starting, replacing Hernandez. Not up front obviously but at LWB with Antonio pushing further forward, although not much!
goa127

Postby Bramwell on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:33 pm

I can never quite work out the logic that players over 30 aren't worth signing, and that 36 year-olds (he'll be 37 in May) can't run. Evra is a natural athlete - I'm sure he doesn't have the same turn of pace as when he was 26, but he can still run. For the record, Linford Christie reached an Olympic 100m final when he was 36.

I'm not saying 'play him', but the borderline ageism of fans' forums always disturbs me.
Bramwell

Postby MB on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Bramwell wrote:I can never quite work out the logic that players over 30 aren't worth signing, and that 36 year-olds (he'll be 37 in May) can't run. Evra is a natural athlete - I'm sure he doesn't have the same turn of pace as when he was 26, but he can still run. For the record, Linford Christie reached an Olympic 100m final when he was 36.

I'm not saying 'play him', but the borderline ageism of fans' forums always disturbs me.

For the record Christie was on more drugs when he set that record than was consumed at the average 90’s rave.

As for ageism, how many outfield players are there in the league aged 35 or over? Then how many of those are in roles requiring serious amounts of running? There are good physical reasons for this. Generally the number of seasons/games is a better indicator. All that running takes its toll.

Sorry if this has destroyed your hopes that you can still make it...
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:52 pm

100% natty:

DasNutNock

Postby view from the shires on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:15 pm

MB wrote:For the record Christie was on more drugs when he set that record than was consumed at the average 90’s rave.

Which was no different to the rest of the field he was running against..........allegedly.
view from the shires

Postby Patito on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm

DasNutNock wrote:100% natty:

To be fair, he probably looked like that without the HGH too.
Patito

Postby Bramwell on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 am

James Collins is 34. I suspect the majority of our support base would give him a 2 year contract extension.
Therefore, 36 is not 'too old'.

Debate over.
Bramwell

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion