Liverpool 4-1 West Ham Utd (24/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by sutts07 »

My_Sobriquet... another one for Antonio as wing back... why??
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

sutts07 wrote:My_Sobriquet... another one for Antonio as wing back... why??
He’s quick, he’s strong and he got an assist from the same position last week.

He is on paper ideally suited to the modern wing back position, I’m sure that’s why chelsea had a look at him previously.

My reservations are probably similar to yours, he’s that apocalyptic mix of arrogance and stupid. Whicih is why he gets caught out of position a lot, he thinks he should be given a free reign to attack. However with one goal and one assist all season he isn’t technically good enough to do so when everyone is fit.

Our other options are evra in his wheelchair or cresswell who is too small and weak and not a great deal better at keeping defensive discipline when played at LWB.

When everyone is fit then masuaku at LWB and Antonio at RWB could be devastating if Moyes can teach them the balance the position requires. If not it will be calamitous.

For this game though I think Antonio’s pace and strength could be an asset against mane or salah
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1037 likes

Post by stu1 »

My_Sobriquet wrote: My reservations are probably similar to yours, he’s that apocalyptic mix of arrogance and stupid. Whicih is why he gets caught out of position a lot, he thinks he should be given a free reign to attack.
I don’t understand why some many people seem to over think why Antonio struggles with defensive positioning. It’s obviously because he has never played in a defensive position and his footballing brain is not one of his strengths.

It has f*** all to do with whether you think he’s an arrogant **** or not.

I’m sure if Arnoutovic was stuck at full back or wing back he’d make similar mistakes, in fact I’d expect him to be worse.
Last edited by stu1 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3173 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Yet I still think his best position would be as a wing back, and his seeming (before the angry attack me) reluctance to play there is ironic considering it would have been there that he had a chance of playing had a move to Chelsea materialised.
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Wilko1304 wrote:Yet I still think his best position would be as a wing back, and his seeming (before the angry attack me) reluctance to play there is ironic considering it would have been there that he had a chance of playing had a move to Chelsea materialised.
It just seems such a cheap dig to blame his arrogance on not being able to play that position well. He’s not a defender, never has been, so it’s hardly surprising that his defensive position is poor.

As for playing wing back for Chelsea, that’s completely different to playing wing back for West Ham.
My_Sobriquet

Post by My_Sobriquet »

stu1 wrote:
It has **** all to do with whether you think he’s an arrogant **** or not.
Of course it has nothing to do with my opinion, to say it has nothing to do with his attitude however is debateable.

Antonio very publicly made a fuss about where he was being played (wing back), despite being deployed there by both premier league managers he’s had a whu (which is every one) he has played under and seemingly by one of the best managers in world football.

Are they all wrong and Antonio is right?

Just because he hasn’t played there before doesn’t mean he can’t, Henry was a winger before his arsenal days...

Antonio is arrogant, he didn’t want to play where Bilic put him and had a tantrum about it.

Two years on, new manager, new coaching staff, new players... guess where Antonio is playing?

He has all the attributes for WB, he just sees himself as a forward, which is quite staggeringly arrogant considering when by his own admission before he came to West Ham he didn’t even know how to play a pass without taking a touch and looking around for a free man.
My_Sobriquet

Post by My_Sobriquet »

stu1 wrote:
It has **** all to do with whether you think he’s an arrogant **** or not.
Of course it has nothing to do with my opinion, to say it has nothing to do with his attitude however is debateable.

Antonio very publicly made a fuss about where he was being played (wing back), despite being deployed there by both premier league managers he’s had a whu (which is every one) he has played under and seemingly by one of the best managers in world football.

Are they all wrong and Antonio is right?

Just because he hasn’t played there before doesn’t mean he can’t, Henry was a winger before his arsenal days...

Antonio is arrogant, he didn’t want to play where Bilic put him and had a tantrum about it.

Two years on, new manager, new coaching staff, new players... guess where Antonio is playing?

He has all the attributes for WB, he just sees himself as a forward, which is quite staggeringly arrogant considering when by his own admission before he came to West Ham he didn’t even know how to play a pass without taking a touch and looking around for a free man.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I've said it tonnes on the Antonio thread but his attitude when playing at wing back the first time was despicable.

I'd expect less fuss from a kid at under elevens level

I hope he has learnt his lesson
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

stu1 wrote:
I’m sure if Arnoutovic was stuck at full back or wing back he’d make similar mistakes, in fact I’d expect him to be worse.
The difference is I'm sure Arnoutovic would try
Noble Man
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Noble Man »

Based on tonight..... we're going to get stuffed!!!
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Centre Half wrote:I've said it tonnes on the Antonio thread but his attitude when playing at wing back the first time was despicable.
what was worse was the amount of people rushing to make excuses for him and actually being happy that he went over the manager's head to the tinpot dictator so he could issue an edict.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

So Liverpool can smash Porto away 5-0 but lose to Swansea away. In the great words of Patrice Evra....'I love this game.'
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Noble Man wrote:Based on tonight..... we're going to get stuffed!!!
Actually them stuffing Porto tonight has made me more confident we can get something on Saturday.

I’d rather play an overconfident Liverpool than one desperate for a win.
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Beavis Danzig wrote: what was worse was the amount of people rushing to make excuses for him and actually being happy that he went over the manager's head to the tinpot dictator so he could issue an edict.
Another big assumption being made to dig Antonio out.

How do you know that Sullivan wasn’t thinking the same as pretty much every West Ham fan and decided to open his big mouth in the media, it wouldn’t be the first time would it.

Below are the quotes from Antonio in the interview where he says he’d rather not play wing back but they don’t sound like the words of someone throwing a strop.
Michail Antonio wrote: My favourite position is playing on the wing. I prefer to play left wing, that's my favourite role.

I would like to be a winger in a four, like a 4-4-2, but right now I'm playing wing back and playing well so I just have to take it and keep going.

I haven't spoken to the manager about it. I don't feel the need because since we've changed it we've been doing well.

I'm a team player. I played right back last season for half the season and now I'm playing wing-back but I'm scoring goals, I'm playing well so I can't really complain.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.skyspo ... st-ham-win" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hammerman11
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we will be sitting back deep to negate pace but Antonio at wb worries me. second half against Watford he couldn't pass it to any of our players and was knackered

not sure who we can put there maybe cresswell ?

Adrian
reid ogbonna rice
zabaletta noble kouyate mario cresswell
arnie hernandez

subs hart collins byram cullen antonio lanzini hughill

1-0 hammers arnie
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Inexplicable that in 2018 people are still talking about Antonio playing as a defender Image

The biggest danger isn't the obvious one - that he hasn't proved to be very good at defending - although that should be enough.

It's that he's so susceptible to losing the ball, usually while sprinting at full tilt in the opposite direction. You only need him to do his 'knock it ahead > charge' thing where it hits the shins of the opposition player and all of a sudden they're zeroing in on goal while his legs are spinning in the air like a Looney Tunes character that's just run off a cliff and is about to drop. If there's one thing this group of players struggles with it's the loose pass that instantly sidelines the midfield and has the opposition sprinting at the ageing limbs in defence.

I wouldn't like to risk that too many times against West Brom. Against Liverpool, who live for those type of transitions? Dearie me.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Any advice on getting out of Liverpool via car quickly after the match? Last time we went up this way for Everton a couple of years ago it took ages getting back to the motorway on that main road out of the city.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Whatever last night indicates about next week, I think the most obvious thing is we can't give them an inch in behind. They might be one of the best counter attacking teams I've ever seen. Unfortunately for the purists I think this will definitely be a sit deep and frustrate them game.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

---------------------- Adrian ----------------------
--------Reid ---Collins----- Ogbonna
Zabaleta---- Noble--- Kouyate ------Cresswell
----- Arnautovic-- Hernandez -----Antonio--
sutts07
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

sutts07 wrote:My_Sobriquet... another one for Antonio as wing back... why??
My_Sobriquet wrote: He’s quick, he’s strong and he got an assist from the same position last week.
He did not play wing back last week.

He played left midfield/left wing with a full back behind him to defend.
He is not a defender and wing backs need to defend.