[POLL] The Champions statue

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Champions statue: Upton Park or Stratford?

Move to Stratford
16%
Leave at Upton Park
78%
Unsure
6%

Total votes: 361

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: [POLL] The Champions statue

Post by e17 »

Overchuffed wrote:Leave it where it is.

And honour some of our other legends by building a new one of them to have at Stratford.

Suggestions:
Bonds ?
Lyall ?
Di Canio ?
Bonzo never even got the stand named after him at The Boleyn, I’m guessing his humility and private nature might be a part of why. A statue of Paolo would be a controversial move in a place like Stratford considering his political leanings and relatively short spell as a WHU icon.

John Lyall? Yeah for me. The epitome of this club
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

As one who wasn't initially fussed either way as I could see the value in bringing it over, I've now come to the conclusion it does need to stay. If they want to replicate it, by all means commission another one.

My other suggestion would be to commission one of late Greats like Lyall/Greenwood together as if they were overlooking a match on the touchline instead. It would also keep with the theme of 'champions place'.

I think that would look classy and a massive nod to the past and crucially as to what exactly 'The West Ham Way' was mainly about involving those 2. It would certainly help it feel more like Home seeing them towering over us with beaming smiles as we walk by with pride.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:Perhaps we could have a statue of three of Manchester City's Superstars outside Stratford, updated regularly, so we don't have to wait a season to see them?
You've only got wait about 6 weeks to see them
goa127

Post by goa127 »

Colours never run wrote:As one who wasn't initially fussed either way as I could see the value in bringing it over, I've now come to the conclusion it does need to stay. If they want to replicate it, by all means commission another one.

My other suggestion would be to commission one of late Greats like Lyall/Greenwood together as if they were overlooking a match on the touchline instead. It would also keep with the theme of 'champions place'.

I think that would look classy and a massive nod to the past and crucially as to what exactly 'The West Ham Way' was mainly about involving those 2. It would certainly help it feel more like Home seeing them towering over us with beaming smiles as we walk by with pride.
:thup:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Commission that!
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

Colours never run wrote:Commission that!
Would love to see that comissioned CNR but, that would mean them (a) having to put their hands into their pockets instead of someone else's and (b) them acknowledging that we had a history before they arrived.
Colours never run

Aye. This isn't aimed at you but the Board..

What the central argument is all about, is if we can't make it actually feel like our 'Home', then what the f*** are we honestly doing there??

It's as simple as that, no ifs or buts. Persistent obstacles in our way ain't an answer, be it LLDC/LS185/GOVT/WESTFIELD. If everything keeps resisting tangible changes, then it's clear we need to get out ASAP to build a genuine new Home to be proud of again.

They ALL need to remember that our huge fanbase which generates a f*** load of money in many ways, effectively agreed to go along with this charade based on goodwill and trust. We didn't kick up a fuss on the basis promises would be genuinely fulfilled and done in both our interests as well as those in charge. Had we done so, threatening to walk away not buying in to the idea, then none of the white elephant would be given the chance to succeed in the long run and they'd all be ****ed without us. So with that in mind, it's about time they all listened to what we reasonably expect for a WHU Home so to make a proper go of it, otherwise expect more protests or fans jacking it in altogether. They've all conspired in some way to balls it right up and it's now time to wake up and finally realise what now needs to happen.

What's more is we ain't even asking for the world by being unreasonable in our demands.

- Proper retractable seats much closer in the lower tiers as promised
- Some local businesses honoured at Stratford ie Nathans as promised
- Proper investment as promised
- Decked out properly in all that is WHU as promised (a few stickers and mdf giant shirts don't come close) ie the claret pitch surrounding
- A Champions Statue as promised (Commission something like I previously mentioned involving Lyall/Greenwood together)
- Proudly display the Lyall Gates outside
- Badge change ie erase London (we never wanted it changed in the first place)
- Plenty more beer shelves/get rid of Popcorn/Heaters surrounding the open air concourses
- Line the long walkways with Stalls and music
- Stewarding. Back under our control it worked fine before, so gives us back the control
- Clarets and Blue seats. I don't care if it costs a fair bit, they all make enough money out of us in 1 way or another. All this neutral white soulless generic look looks **** and not 'West Ham'

I know I've repeated myself from the other night but just stressing the point on things that matter to many and were either promised in the first place or can be achieved with some cooperation and finally some goodwill from all Stakeholders with a real interest in making all this work for all concerned. We did our bit, now it's time they all did there's. And I mean everyone. The powers that be clearly bent over backwards to accommodate Spurs demands, well there's f*** all excuse now not to do it for us too but properly this time.
Last edited by Colours never run on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
goa127

Post by goa127 »

With the damning report on the stadium deal in mind, the club should be in a strong position to get more control by agreeing to pay more. Swopping stewarding companies has recreated issues which we had thought had been largely eradicated so control would be good. Changing the white seats should be reasonably easy to do, while their busy dismantling the lower tier, put back claret and blue ones. No extra labour cost! I still can't understand why retractable seating wasn't possible when they put it in the Stade de France 20 years ago. Most of what CNR proposes should be possible, if the board are really interested and willing to pay a bit more (Cruella has indicated in the press this could be possible). Do they have the will to make it happen though?
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Colours never run wrote: There is another aspect which I think is a pity and that's thousands of youngens will rarely get to see it and appreciate it's significance unless their mum or dad specifically take them to it. With it being part of a matchday experience again, I think it would be nice if they saw it standing proudly en route to the Olympic Stadium just as it became part of the matchday experience before the move.

Plus I miss seeing Herbert's hanging off the top of it with an occasional wesr ham scarf wrapped snugly round Mooros next. :D

It's a beautiful statue that should be proudly shown off, that's for sure.
Exactly. What’s the point of a statue that nobody cares about? Put it where it’ll be appreciated.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Statue to Stay !

Post by Pop Robson »

Lets see if the new Mayor sticks to her pledge, page 6 of this weeks Newham Recorder

Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Confirmed tonight. Bobby stays at the Boleyn. Brilliant news, there will ever be a part of E13 that will be West Ham, and Bobby’s.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

When the election? Rokhsana Fiaz's victory seems to be a foregone conclusion.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Vic_Watson wrote:When the election? Rokhsana Fiaz's victory seems to be a foregone conclusion.
Fair point, but I can’t see anyone making a challenge
Colours never run

Great that it stays. However what will now sit proudly in its place by the bear "Champions" Place plinth?

My suggestions;

- Lyall/Greenwood together clutching FA Cup (big nod to winners playing the "West Ham way" that so many outsiders wonder what exactly it is and they typified everything about it which could be celebrated properly

(See above)

- Bonds, Brooking and Psycho embraced together with the FA Cup

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tvTEFtfPSA4/ ... %2Bcup.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Bonds raising FA Cup aloft alone

http://www.iconicsignings.co.uk/images/ ... 6_full.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Moore kissing FA Cup held aloft

https://www.allposters.co.uk/-sp/FA-Cup ... 80032_.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All 4 would appeal to me and in that order. Any other iconic suggestions to put forward?
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Vic_Watson wrote:When the election? Rokhsana Fiaz's victory seems to be a foregone conclusion.
Oops, you're not sposed to notice that, Vic!
Putin's obviously 'organising' this election, as well..
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

OK, so now that the Champions statue is staying put at Upton Park, surely it's time for us all to ramp up the pressure to get our own WEST HAM UNITED statue commissioned for the LS?

We already have Bobby's champions statue and his one atop of Wembley Way... I like the idea of a Lyall/Greenwood one at Champions place, though one of Billy Bonds would be absolutely perfect, just think with him being such a private man he wouldn't want the fuss, as much as he deserves it.
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

OK, so now that the Champions statue is staying put at Upton Park, surely it's time for us all to ramp up the pressure to get our own WEST HAM UNITED statue commissioned for the LS?

We already have Bobby's champions statue and his one atop of Wembley Way... I like the idea of a Lyall/Greenwood one at Champions place, though one of Billy Bonds would be absolutely perfect, just think with him being such a private man he wouldn't want the fuss, as much as he deserves it.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Karen has already said that statues are too expensive.

They would rather not spend money on players than not spend money on a statue.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Colours never run wrote:Commission that!
Brilliant!

Just don't get the ronaldo sculptor
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I am astounded that there is not a Lyall & Greenwood stand, statue, bar, gate, bridge or area of some kind at the stadium... such an obvious thing to have done.

Further proof of just how out of touch the owners are.

True club legends